Three Layer Cakes

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 25 May 2008 , 10:19pm by sari66

loriemoms Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 7

I do my cakes several ways, depending on what the customer wants, but when someone wants multiple fillings I usually torte two cakes to make four layers and three fillings. I have recently received requests for three layers and two filings, and have seen this everywhere. How is this done? Do you fill the pans halfway and not torte the cakes? (just level them) and bake three cakes or do you bake them normally and save a half torted cake for another cake? How do you guys do it?

6 replies
thecakebox Posted 25 May 2008 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 7

I bake a 1 1/2 inch cake and a 3 inch cake and torte just the 3 inch, hth.

Ladybug6509 Posted 25 May 2008 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 7

If you use the 3 inch pans and bake them as a full 3 inches, then just torte the one cake into three layers. Thats what I do.

chocolatecake Posted 25 May 2008 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 7

an easy way is bake sheet cakes to 1 inch and the cut out shapes and sizes needed

left over cake for crumb coat or cake balls!

loriemoms Posted 25 May 2008 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsAngel

If you use the 3 inch pans and bake them as a full 3 inches, then just torte the one cake into three layers. Thats what I do.

That is a good idea (except I have all two inch high pans!) Does it make a high enough cake?

Ladybug6509 Posted 25 May 2008 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 7

I fill the 3 inch pans about 2/3rds of the way full and it bakes a nice and even 3 inch cake. I only have a little hump in the middle to level off. I cook them at 325 and use the magic line pans. You could still do this with the 2 inch pans. Just bake one full 2 inch and then another layer that is only an inch. I've done it that way too with my wilton petal, heart, and hexagon pans.

sari66 Posted 25 May 2008 , 10:19pm
post #7 of 7

I bake my cakes then tort them as usual leaving the one extra for another 3 layer cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%