Rum Soaked Cakes

Baking By Ladybug6509 Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 4:47am by miny

Ladybug6509 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug6509 Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 16

I am getting married the week of Christmas and I will be making my own cake. It's a very small wedding with less than 25 people invited so I'm in no risk of putting to much on myself. Being as its around the holidays I thought a rum soaked cake would be fitting. But I've not done a rum cake before and was looking for a good recipe or tips on how to do it. I'd greatly appreciate it.

15 replies
Joy2501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joy2501 Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 16

Are you talking about an English style fruit cake? They are usually soaked in brandy, but I guess rum would work. If that's what you mean, I have a really good recipe you can use.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:49pm
post #3 of 16

The caribbean does one that is not done with fruit..So you have to clear up wich type of rum cake you want!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Ladybug6509 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug6509 Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 16

I've had people ask me about soaking an ordinary cake in rum but they've always changed their minds because they didn't want their guests getting drunk. So I'm looking for just a basic recipe, wasn't aware that it had to be a specific kind of cake. I'm willing to try any recipe you throw my way though.

tonedna Posted 25 May 2008 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 16

You add the rum to a sugar based simple syrup...From the amount of rum you put..you cant get drunk! ...
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 25 May 2008 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 16

I don't have the recipe, but I have tasted a rum cake. There is a company in Ca. that makes them.
They put them in tins.
It was like a pound cake then they poured rum over it and let it soak for several days. When you open the tin it's swimming in rum. You can get drunk off of it.

tonedna Posted 25 May 2008 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 16

You cant get drunk!...The amount of rum per whole cake is a shot..But is combined with syrup so it feels like you would. Thats why it is swiming on liquids..I do them all the time..You would need to eat a few full cakes to get drunk.. Now the type of rum you use in it is a hugeeeeeeeee difference in flavor. Some rums are stronger in flavor and others are smooth. The best one is Bacardi
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 25 May 2008 , 5:41pm
post #8 of 16

One of my âstapleâ cake recipes is a flourless walnut cake with rum in all batter, simple syrup and filling. It is everyoneâs favorite because it has unique very rich taste, with a hint of chocolate⦠The last cake I made with it is the Penguins in my pic, itâs a collage so you can see the color and texture of the cake. Depending on whoâs going to eat it, Iâd put more or less rum than what the recipe calls for. It is not really âsoakedâ, but on another cake I made with three batches of the recipe (the Wii in my pics) I used a total of about 2 cups of rum â no one got drunk from the cake. icon_smile.gif

Will translate and PM you the recipe shortly.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 25 May 2008 , 9:28pm
post #9 of 16

MMMM the thought of the Rum cake wow! I love the one I make...but don't make it much!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:11am
post #10 of 16

I love this one http://www.recipezaar.com/14499 , as it uses a box mix base. I substitute OJ for the water in both the cake and syrup, and I add a little (1/2-1 teaspoon) grated orange peel to the batter. It is a pound cake type batter....

I "stole" this recipe when cruising the Caribbean and they touted the "Tortuga Rum Cake". On the ship, I got a sample---- heaven! Bought one--- not so much. The one on the ship was in a jelly roll pan, and sprinkled with walnuts all along the top. Yum! And the syrup soaked the thin cake well. The "sold" canned one was in bundt form, limited nuts, and not as soaked.

THIS IS MY HUBBY'S FAVORITE. He says it is best 3 days later, when the flavors "mellow". Mine goes in a jelly roll pan (think cookie sheet with 1/2" sides-greased0, sprinkled liberally with chopped walnuts, and baked about 20 minutes... then I prepare the syrup after the cake comes out, and pour it on while the cake is still a bit warm. Cover, and I refrigerate.

I have never tried to "decorate" it, but my niece ordered them for her wedding, and served with canned slices peaches sprinkled with raspberries on the side. She did post a note that it had real rum in it, just for allergy purposes... not the "drunk" factor (as explained here before). She had a particular ethic Lithuanian cake for the "cutting of the cake", which was also served...

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:44am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson6ofus

I love this one http://www.recipezaar.com/14499 , as it uses a box mix base. I substitute OJ for the water in both the cake and syrup, and I add a little (1/2-1 teaspoon) grated orange peel to the batter. It is a pound cake type batter....

MMM! This does sound like a great cake! Definitely going on my *must*try*asap* list!!!

tonedna Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:22pm
post #12 of 16

Bermuda rum cake is one of my favorite cakes...is so yummy..everytime I go on a cruise I gotta buy it!
Edna

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:54pm
post #13 of 16

Hello PaulsAngel,
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!! I also got married in December so that time is very special for me.

I have made the following recipe several times and it is very good. It is from Wandy from the Spanish forum:

PR CAKE from WANDY27 (Cake Central Spanish Forum)
3 sticks of butter
6 eggs separated
1 c. sugar
3 1/2 c. self rising flour
vanilla extract to taste

I use a 10 x 3 pan. Grease pan (I also floured it) and preheat oven to 350 degrees. (I baked the cake at 325).
Beat the butter till creamy and add sugar. Keep beating approximately 10 minutes. Add yolks one at a time. Add vanilla extract (I used 1 tsp. of almond extract instead). Fold in sifted dry ingredients. Separately beat the egg whites till soft peaks form then fold by hand into the batter. Pour into pans and bake 50 - 60 mins. Check at 45 mins. and test with a toothpick.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This syrup is added to the cake once it is cooled. After you frost with your favorite icing. (I used a cream cheese frosting).

(simple syrup) (tHIS IS 1/2 HER RECIPE)
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/2 tsp. brandy (I did not add this) b/c I had none handy - but I'm sure it would be wonderful with it, or rum, or another liqueur...add to taste).

Bring to a boil sugar and water. When it starts to boil, remove from heat and add extract and brandy. Add to hot cake.

For the frosting I use the Wilton decorating frosting with 1/2 crisco and 1/2 butter..the recipe is on the Wilton website.

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:20pm
post #14 of 16

PaulsAngel-Congrats!! May the two of you have a long and wonderful life together.

Now on to the cake. I know fruit cake gets a bad rap, but if you use dried fruit instead of the usual fruit cake mix, it is absolutely wonderful. I usually make several different flavours including: coconut, tangerine and pineapple or sometimes raisin, marzipan, blueberries and cherries. I soak my fruit for only a short time and use a weak simple syrup with rum to glaze my cakes. You cover them with jam and fondant and then can decorate any way you would like.

People would often tell me they don't like fruitcake, but when they would taste mine-they were amazed.

If you would like the recipe just pm me. I would be happy to help.

Kathy

edith123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edith123 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 9:34pm
post #15 of 16

wow! all those recipes sound great!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 4:47am
post #16 of 16

save

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%