Stupid Wilton Pieces Of ****

Decorating By alicegop Updated 25 May 2008 , 4:22pm by alicegop

alicegop Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 9
So I made this cake.... so many things went wrong with it

One of the corners not only would corner up for me it sloped in such a noticeable way......

when I put the fondant on one side of it for some reason it seemed like the 2n d cake of the tier was slid in a bit so the upper cake of the tier stuck out... but the 2 cakes were flush, how the heck does that happen? I just couldn't get the MMF to be flush on that one half of the one side. Strange.

I was suppose to put a 4" graduation hat on the top of the cake, but congratulations and michele are such long words... no room so I piped a little hat on it....

I had it all set up, looked nice, on my silver cake plateau.... only to realize my wedding cake needed the plateau.

So I had to use my pampered chef... what the heck are those things called, they are used to scoop up a pizza or something, two half of a circle... if you don't have one, you should get one, they are GREAT for when you torte a cake to take off the top half and replace it after you put on the filling. Especially for square cakes!!!

I digress, So I had to use those scoop things to move the cake from the silver plateau to a brand new 16 inch white wilton cake plate.... and the stupid plate BOWED! Seriously!!!!

This is a 10, 8, 6 cake. One would think that if you are putting a heavy 16 inch cake on one of the white plates, that most likely you would be stacking other cakes on top... it would look strange to only have a 16" cake... so the cake plate SHOULD be designed to hold several layers on top of it..... I had to put a 6" square under the plate to hold up the middle of the plate. Of course the sides of the cake buckled, which didn't help the situation I described above. I also had to redo some of the string work, but that wasn't a big deal.

All in all, I actually liked the cake. It was reported back that it tasted good and that is the most important.

8 replies
chutzpah Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 9

Oh man! Sorry you had so many problems. Wilton = crap.

At least you got that positive feedback!

alicegop Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 9

I've been doing my best to tell all my cake friends not to use Wilton, they are overpriced and cheap quality!!!

What options do I have for cake stands?

chutzpah Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 9

What stand were you using?

If it's for the bottom cake you can use a slab of masonite cut to your specs.

Kiddiekakes Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 9

The seperater plates are only made and designed to hold one cake ...not 3 stacked..That's why your plate bowed.I always cut a heavy piece of MDF or plywood for my bases so that they can hold the weight!I agree that some Wilton products are not that good but all in all they are okay for people starting out!

zubia Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 9

I am so sorry that this happened to your cake icon_redface.gif .By the way I love the colours .
I may be odd one out ,but I like wilton.I started cakes as a hobby.And now with time I almost have every thing they have to offer. I learned alot .Now that Iam getting confident I am getting other expensive brands .I just ordered MLP for squre cakes. But all in all they are cheap and with 40% coupons they are good deal. thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 9

Um . . .you can't use a separator plate for a cake stand. Underneath the cake, you use either a cake drum, a covered masonite/plywood board or several cardboards stacked up and covered (least sturdy unless you use a lot of them).

I truly despise nearly all Wilton products, but you can't fault the product when you don't use it correctly.

tonedna Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 9

Those plates are only use in stacking..they are not strong enough for supporting a whole cake cause they are not meant for that. Thats why the have the drum plates... If you see all the wilton photos they never use those plates for holding cakes.

I know there some things that Wilton have that are no good. But in this case I have to say it was more of a wrong choice in materials.. icon_redface.gif

alicegop Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:22pm
post #9 of 9

Hmmm, I had always thought that is what they were for. My teacher 15 years ago had us doing the cakes on cake plates........ No matter, today I went to ebay and bought a SET of square and a SET of round silver cake plateaus. I already have an 18" round and square (and an 11" round), but now I'll ALSO have a 22, 18, 14 and 6 of each. I certainly don't need doubles of the 18's......... but now I'll never have an incident again where I need the same cake stand for two different cakes. Problem solved!!!!!

Still don't like wilton...........

Quote by @%username% on %date%