Do We Have Any Japan Based Members?

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 26 May 2008 , 1:16pm by MikeRowesHunny

MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 May 2008 , 9:10am
post #1 of 11

I have a request to make & send a birthday cake to Japan. Whilst I am happy to do this, I think there are restrictions on importing perishable food-stuffs (according to FedEx). So, do we have any decorators based in Japan that I can pass on to my customer?! Money, it appears, is no object, as he was more than willing to pay the $200+ express shipping fee from Europe!

10 replies
TandTHarrell Posted 25 May 2008 , 9:29am
post #2 of 11

What part of Japan, Im in Japan

MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 May 2008 , 9:36am
post #3 of 11

Kyoto. I was thinking that even if people aren't close, shipping inland wouldn't be a problem. It will mean a fondant covered cake and he insists on scratch baking. Is this something you can/could do?

TandTHarrell Posted 25 May 2008 , 9:46am
post #4 of 11

What is he look for actually, pm me if you have a myspace you can see my cakes, www.myspace/tinanh27

dragonflydreams Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 11

. . . I hesitate to jump in here . . . but are you sure this is legitimate . . . seems to me there are email/phone frauds going around . . . someone looking to purchase a cake - money's no object - etc. etc. . . . please be careful if you are not dealing with this person face to face (just seems odd that someone would want a cake made by someone in The Netherlands to send to Japan) . . . hope I'm wrong (just do a search for scam or fraud to see what some people are experiencing if you have any doubts) . . .

MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 May 2008 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 11

Hi, yes, I'm aware of these frauds, and thanks for the reminder! I have no doubt this guy is genuine, he rang me rather than emailed, and he is as British as I am (not that that's any guarantee!). I live in a large expat community and this kind of thing is quite common here.

dragonflydreams Posted 26 May 2008 , 9:26am
post #7 of 11

MikeRowesHunny Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:38pm
post #8 of 11

LOL! Turns out that I was correct about shipping. I spoke to FedEx and they said that it was very unlikely that Japanese customs would allow the cake into the country (especially being sent from Holland = drugs suspicion!), . Oh well, I hope he will be able to sort something out!

TandTHarrell Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:51pm
post #9 of 11

where is he in japan, Im close to Toyko. is he/she Japanese, if so Im not able to do the cake....

grama_j Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:57pm
post #10 of 11

"is he/she Japanese, if so Im not able to do the cake...."

That confused me..... why could you NOT do a cake if he is Japanese ?

MikeRowesHunny Posted 26 May 2008 , 1:16pm
post #11 of 11

Yes, the recipient is Japanese, the sender is British, but why would that make a difference?!

Quote by @%username% on %date%