It's 105 Degrees...now What?!

Decorating By diamondsonblackvelvet13 Updated 25 May 2008 , 2:43pm by vrmcc1

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 24 May 2008 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 12

I started baking for others last September. Always had cool temps or the funcation was held inside. Now that summer is here with it's 105 (literally)degree weather, what am I suppose to do? I just delivered a castle where I used candy melts to glue the turrets on. Of course, they were melting and the function was outside. How does one deal with the heat and cake side effects?
Oh and what about the poopin flies? I really don't like leaving "my" cake just sitting there for the flies to feast on before the customer eats it. Please let me in on the "secrets" you have for dealing with these situations!

TIA!

11 replies
christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:13am
post #2 of 12

I'd have a clause in my contract saying that YOU are not responsible for their stupid decisions and the effects of said decisions on the cake! Who in their right mind would "showcase" a cake in 105 degree weather??? My clause sates that I cannot be held accountable for "acts of God" aka. the weather and the bugs if they decide to place their cake outdoors! I aways ask where will the cake be displayed and then STRONGLY discourage it with the reasons why if they tell me outdoors in the heat as a smorgasboard for all critters with wings!!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:34am
post #3 of 12

So what should I do? The majority of the cakes I'll end up doing this summer will be outdoor party cakes. Pool parties that kind of thing.. Maybe try to find a box for them?

christeena Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:47am
post #4 of 12

Have the customer provide shade or canopy and possibly netting! Is there no clubhouse or indoor area the cake can be placed at during these outdoor parties?? I guess I don't see how I would be responsible for the cake once they pay for it and/or sign off at delivery! In "difficult" situations, I take a receipt that includes a sign off upon delivery that I keep stating that once the cake is delivered it is not my baby anymore!!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:57am
post #5 of 12

I doubt they would be willing to find something. Majority of my customers have the "it's just cake" mentality going on. Perhaps if I came up with a kind of cake fly /bug net (a la mosquito net) and charged 'em extra? Maybe a mini tent of some kind and just set it over the cake.
It'll work out somehow or the other. Oh! You'll be proud to know that I refused to make a coolwhip frosted cake for a customer who wanted it for a pool party..outdoors...tomorrow...expected high?- 102...nope! Not me said the bee!

Thanks for listening! I appreciate it!

christeena Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:05am
post #6 of 12

It's so frustrating dealing with this kind of customer 'cause if your like me, you pour your heart and soul into your cake creation and hate to see it "abused" this way! Some people are just idiots and you just want to smack 'em upside the head and ask them "where are the brains that God gave ya?"

Good luck this summer - sounds like you are going to need it!!!

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:25am
post #7 of 12

is it possible to become friendly with another cake person in your area and pick their brain on how They handle situations like you are starting to deal with?

Anyone out there in Texas that could help with some suggestions on how to handle heat?

In regards to the candy melts, could you have used royal icing to attach them? I would think you wouldn't have to worry about the heat with RI as well as your cost may have be a little cheaper?

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:33am
post #8 of 12

Asking another cake person is out of the question. They refuse to talk to one another. Always looking to stab each other in the back.
After I had issues with the candy, I thought about RI....when I was at the set up site, ready to cry...

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:07am
post #9 of 12

I am in Tx and have the same heat issues.

I change my methods and materials for summer, no chocolate after April. I change to RI to glue everything together. I make my buttercream stiffer and use extra supports.

I also have a clause in my contract basically, It is TX, it is hot, your cake cannot take the heat.
I suggest putting the cake in a window for everyone to see, or bring it out right before service.
Heat is even a problem when the events are inside. Air breaks down or can't keep up with 100 heat.

I am the "expert," I tell them what I can or cannot do. I hate to miss out on a job, but I won't make a cake that I am not sure it will make it due to heat.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:13am
post #10 of 12

What kind of icings are you using? I had a huge disaster last weekend, 105 here as well, and nothing could stop that cake from melting and sliding all over the bloody place.

I just made a batch of Sugarshack icing (of course, it was 70 degrees this weekend). It held up nicely but was very sweet and not like my usual buttercream....are with stuck with an all crisco icing in hot weather?

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 25 May 2008 , 12:24pm
post #11 of 12

Gonna have to figure out something. Prolly play around with adjusting my frosting. I am using the Viva recipe from the recipe section. I LOVE it.

hamie, Does the stiffer frosting hold up better?

I'm guessing that after 100, there is not really anything that can save a cake or pasty of any kind. I mean sheesh! Most things melt well before 100.

If I find a method, I'll share

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:43pm
post #12 of 12

Try my recipe for High Humidity Buttercream, it is in the recipe section. I never have a problem with the heat and it tastes really good. I did a cake for an example for everyone here and left it sit in the direct sunlight all day, the temp was about 108. The icing never budged! The only affect was that after a few hours the color in the roses started to fade a little but that was all.

Indydebi also has a buttercream recipe posted that is similar it dosenot use the flour my recipe calls for. And I have been leaving it out when I make my icing the color is a bit whiter and it still performs and tastes great. Also you may need to add a bit more milk to make it a little thinner to spread.

HTH Val

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%