Cake Dummy Pricing Question...

Decorating By Chini3458 Updated 27 May 2008 , 2:27am by sari66

Chini3458 Posted 24 May 2008 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All!

I am in need of some guidance.. I have been asked to make a replica dummy cake of the JMH Alamo. It is it's 90th Anniversary. It will be 3rd all fondant, gum paste, etc. But I have no clue what to charge.. I know it will be a challenge as I am still learning and basically only have done cake for my family.

Any advice in pricing would help.

5 replies
diane Posted 24 May 2008 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 6

wow...what a task.
i would charge the same as a cake. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 25 May 2008 , 12:05am
post #3 of 6

Yeah... this is NOT a project where you charge by the slice or by any other "charted" pricing structure. This is a special design with LOTS more labor than materials costs ... WAY more than usual.

Dummy or real cake ..... charge your arm AND your leg.

BrandisBaked Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 6

How big do you need to make it? For me, it would depend on the size...

poshcakedesigns Posted 25 May 2008 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 6

Boy thats a ton of work even for a dummy cake. Since you want be charging by the slice I would decide on what you want 'per hour' to make this cake . Since you have already made one you should have an idea of how many hours you would put in. I wouldn't do it for less than $15 per hour (maybe more) or just come up with a price that is worth your time. Just because it's a dummy doesn't mean that you should sell your talents for less.

Good luck..

sari66 Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:27am
post #6 of 6

I would charge just like a regular cake plus extra for all the work that's going to be needed. Good luck and post a pic when it's done

Quote by @%username% on %date%