I Feel Like I Got Put Down!!!

Decorating By hwnhulahands Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 10:26am by hwnhulahands

hwnhulahands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwnhulahands Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 50

I did a wedding cake yesterday for last night. It was a simple cake, got the idea from Brides magazine. They specifically requested for the cake to be more moist. I talked to one of my friends who is a cake decorator also and she suggested putting pudding in the cake mix. I did so. Well, I did a follow-up call this morning and the niece (the one who originally ordered the cake) said that she's sorry to tell me that they didn't like the cake. They said it was too sweet. I'm thinking because they are of hispanic background they were expecting something more like tres leches kind of cake. They wanted it very moist with not that much sweetness to it. I called my husband and told him and he said, "what do they expect, it's a cake!" I kind of feel put down now that I know how they feel about my cake. I would rather hear honesty though. It'll help me know what to change, what is good and what isn't. She said that they like the design but not the flavors (which they chose). I worked for 10 hours straight on this cake and I now feel put down. Just needed to vent alittle. I can always come to you guys because you know exactly how I feel because of your own experiences. I tried posting a pic but the pixels or something is too big and I don't know how to change it. I was so proud of this cake. But anyways, I was wondering, what are your worst experiences (or maybe they are considered to be your best depending on how you look at it) as far as baking, decorating, and/or delivering? Just wanna hear some of your stories too I guess......

49 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 50

What flavor was it? Didn't they know ahead of time what flavor the cake was going to be?

hwnhulahands Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 50

The bottom was white with vanilla pudding mixed in, yellow for the middle and strawberry for the top. They mostly complained about the bottom but they said all were too sweet. They did pick the flavors and wanted it very moist. I did what was requested and they still didn't like it. I guess it's a learning experience too.

chutzpah Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 50

Did they have any filling, or just BC?

hwnhulahands Posted 24 May 2008 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 50

it was just one layer each tier. The only buttercream used was to "glue" the fondant.

chutzpah Posted 24 May 2008 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 50

okay.

I hate to say this, but I wouldn't have liked it either. I like something a little 'tart' with the sweet cake.... raspberries, blood orange, passionfruit, lime etc.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Shake it off and move on to the next customer!

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 24 May 2008 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 50

I'm sorry that happened to you. It is very hard when you don't get a good response from someone about your cakes. Didn't they taste it first? If they did then why are they complaining.

For future reference you can brush your cake with like a fruit glaze (preserves) and then put fondant on it, maybe that wouldn't have been as sweet for them.

Just remember you can't please everyone, because everyone has different tastes. I'm sure your cake was just fine. Just pick up from here and keep going.

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 24 May 2008 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 50

Well, you can't please everyone! icon_rolleyes.gificon_cool.gif
I know it's so hard to work on something for that long and then hear the negative feedback about it, I feel for you, but just put it behind you and move on. Remember that there are so many out there who appreciate what you do and have positive things to say about your hard work!

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 24 May 2008 , 8:29pm
post #9 of 50

Download Irfanview, you can download it off of cnet or their website, just google it, You can resize pics, so they can be uploaded to the site.

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 24 May 2008 , 8:39pm
post #10 of 50

It's hard to hear that someone doesn't like something that we've made, isn't it?

I'm not a professional, but I would like to be one day. I'm always trying out new recipes on my family- trying to get their opinions; find out what's good, what's not so good. It drives them crazy. It drives me crazy! They all have such different tastes!

Try not to feel too bad. I know that's easier said than done! icon_smile.gif

chutzpah Posted 24 May 2008 , 8:41pm
post #11 of 50

Rincewind's post reminds me of that saying:

You can please some of the people all of the time or all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 24 May 2008 , 8:42pm
post #12 of 50

Yah, your going to get that sometimes. I had a bride that I bent over backwards to bake three different types of cakes, fillings etc. the day before we were leaving for vacation at Christmas time. I drove an hour out of my way and the feedback I got was first that they didnt consider the flavors traditional for a wedding cake. (she picked it) Then she said that one of the cakes was dry. Well I know she was a liar because I had brought the rest of the sample with me and my family ate them three days later and they were still moist!
But I think what hurt most of all was that she would rather go to a dumpy grocery store bakery instead because she said that "they loved their almond pound cake and she grew up on it". Well too bad she hadnt asked me for almond poundcake otherwise I could of blown them away. But that is just people for you. Your always going to have one out of the bunch that no matter what you do, your not going to please them. Its there in every type of business out there. So shrug it off and remember the one's that light up when they see your work and thank you for such a nice job and great tasting cake. Those are the ones to remember and make this worth the while!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 May 2008 , 8:53pm
post #13 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

Well too bad she hadnt asked me for almond poundcake ....

I get this once in awhile re: coffee at a reception. I don't really sell a lot of coffee with my buffets (summer .... hot weather ..... you get it). Once in a blue moon I get someone who complains because "..the caterer didn't bring coffee!" and I have to correct them with "no.... the BRIDE didnt' ORDER coffee!"

weirkd Posted 24 May 2008 , 9:23pm
post #14 of 50

You got that right Debi! You would go crazy trying to please everyone all of the time. Its just better to move on!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 24 May 2008 , 10:59pm
post #15 of 50

hwnhulahands,
I know EXACTLY what you mean. I get the same response alot. Most people are not used to fondant. Out here in the boonies anyway. My sister tells me that she overhears people say things like, "What IS this stuff? Can you eat it? It's too sweet!" Ummm yea..it's supposed to be sweet- it's frosting! Most folks out here are used to the generic not quite whipped cream frosting that the local grocer uses on their cakes. Just move on...either they like it or they don't

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 24 May 2008 , 11:16pm
post #16 of 50

Did they have a taste of the different flavors before they picked ? If so they knew what they were getting ! What fondant did you use ? Remember some people just like to complain thats what makes them happy ( so to speak ) ! Im sure your cake was wonderful !

indydebi Posted 24 May 2008 , 11:28pm
post #17 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Did they have a taste of the different flavors before they picked ? If so they knew what they were getting ! What fondant did you use ? Remember some people just like to complain thats what makes them happy ( so to speak ) ! Im sure your cake was wonderful !

But did they sample cakes made with the box of pudding mix in it?

I tried the add-an-extra-egg-and-a-box-of-pudding thing, sent it in to my taste testers and they told me "Don't do that anymore!" Failed the taste test miserably! Tried it again with white chocolate pudding, extra egg AND some melted white chocoalte and they loved it. So the pudding-thing can go either way, I guess.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 24 May 2008 , 11:43pm
post #18 of 50

Yes for sure ,I just wondered if they had, had a taste of her cakes at all or just went into the whole thing (blind) tasted? I bake for lots of peope that have never tasted my cakes at all,Not wedding cakes of course But even for a b/day etc You would hope they like the moistness/flavor etc! Im sure the cakes were delicious!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 May 2008 , 12:53am
post #19 of 50

maybe you should of did a cake tasting with what they asked for...this way it would be their fault if they didn't say something.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:09am
post #20 of 50

OK--when someone says to me "It's too sweet!" I'm thinking...IT'S CAKE!!!! IT'S SUGAR FROSTING!!!! WHAT DID YOU EXPECT????

weirkd Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:11am
post #21 of 50

I just got finished delivering a four tiered cake tonight. What a trip! These two bartenders sit there and watch me carry this thing in piece by piece and not even offering to open the door for me while Im balancing one handed and trying to open the door with the other! Then I told them to make sure that the bride gets my separtor rings and plateau back and then one of them saracatically said "Do you want the cake dummy back too!" I swear, these people are a trip! I dont understand why they think their better than you?

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:14am
post #22 of 50

You are not responsible for them picking a cake and then not liking the flavor that they picked. Honestly, I think that its hard for someone who knows nothing about cake to go out and order a cake.

I have had several people order cakes from me, and at first I would ask what flavor and the response was ALWAYS chocolate or vanilla with whipped cream or bc icing. It got SOOOO boring! No one wanted to try anything new. That was all they knew how to order.

Thats why I created a flavor list. I looked a bunch up online, and got some ideas of how other bakers did their flavoring lists. Then I created my own! I now have the 'regular' flavors (where people can choose their own pairings), but I have also added a TON of what I call 'signature flavors". I pair up fillings with different cake flavors. After I made that list, NO ONE orders plain chocolate cake anymore. They would rather have Turtle Cake, or Strawberry Shortcake, or even Moon Pie.

The only other thing to keep in mind is to have a tasting with each potential bride. That way they can critique your cake before it ends up at their wedding.

cncgirl00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cncgirl00 Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:25am
post #23 of 50

I feel for ya!! I feel like I got but down tonite, too. I made my own baby shower cake because family only ordered a 1/4 sheet cake from Wal-mart to feed 40 guests. I knew that wouldn't be enough cake so I told them that I would make another cake when they called me at the last minute. No one touched my cake! They all ate the Wal-mart cake which was very lopsided and sloppy. I spent all day on that cake with swollen feet and back pain. They've all had my cake before (I make all the birthday cakes). I don't get it. I'm tired of hearing it's too pretty to eat. It's cake, people, eat it!!

indydebi Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:30am
post #24 of 50

cncgirl, you avoid that by picking up that knife and cutting a big 'ole piece of that cake for yourself; stand there with the knife in hand, turn around and in a loud voice ask, "who else wants cake!!!!!" thumbs_up.gif

cncgirl00 Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:32am
post #25 of 50

I would have loved to do that but they all know that I can't eat it. I have gestational diabetes.

indydebi Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:35am
post #26 of 50

icon_redface.gif OOPS!! On to Plan B......! icon_redface.gif

cncgirl00 Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:38am
post #27 of 50

It really stinks to go to all that trouble for a cake you can't eat. But when everyone else picks the Wally world cake over the home made one--huge bummer!!

Anna31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anna31 Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:27am
post #28 of 50

I always have a consult for the Bride and Groom with a couple different flavors for them to try. I have never had anything negative said about my cakes but am always sure to give them exactly what they want and be sure that they get what they tasted tested. I put sour cream in my cakes rather than pudding. Makes it very moist with out the sweetness. Then again, there are people out there that are just impossible to please! Don't let it shake your confidence! Chin up and give it another go! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Anna

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:01pm
post #29 of 50

I had the "too sweet" thing happen to me last week. The bride and groom came in for a cake testing and chose the flavors for their upcoming wedding cake. They absolutely loved the three flavor combinations they picked and provided positive feedback. They left very excited. The bride asked me to make her bridal shower cake the following week. After the shower, she sent an email saying how much she loved the cake. Well, not two days later I receive another email from her asking if that was the icing she chose for her wedding cake. I told her yes, and she said that a few of her guests thought the buttercream was too sweet. icon_eek.gif Well, the "few" guests happened to be the MOB. She asked if I could make it less sweet. I tactfully gave the same response, "It's cake and icing and is supposed to be sweet". The funny thing is that no one has ever told me my buttercream is too sweet but in fact they like it because it's not too sweet. My mother had my cake for the first time last week and said she really liked my buttercream because it wasn't too sweet. icon_confused.gif Anyway, the bride wants me to come up with a not so sweet buttercream for the wedding cake to make her mother happy. icon_eek.gif For those that said you can't please everyone is right. One person may think your cake is too sweet while the next thinks it's just right or not sweet enough. You just have to take the critique and move on to the next.

hwnhulahands Posted 25 May 2008 , 11:16pm
post #30 of 50

There was no tasting before, I didn't even think of it. I totally should have because she's only tasted my strawberry cake and said that was too dry and wanted it more moist. Well, now I know for next time to do a tasting no matter what. Ask what flavors they were looking for first then have them try that and maybe one or two other flavors. She only requested the flavors and make it more moist. My husband just says that it's cake, what do they expect. And to add to it, I gave them a really good price for it. Even the nieces husband told me it was too cheap. And they still haven't paid the full amount!!!! I probably would have charged about $150-200 but only asked for $100 and they only gave me $60 so far. The wedding was this past Friday and spoke with the niece (the one who originally ordered the cake who isn't the bride) yesterday (saturday) and said that she was gonna stop by last night to drop off the rest of the money and never came by. I'm still waiting. I told my husband that if she doesn't call by this evening, I'm gonna call her and tell her that I can come by her house and pick up the money. I have put full faith in her because she always orders cakes from me and does good on paying me when I drop off the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%