I'm Busted!!!!!

Decorating By lepaz Updated 25 May 2008 , 6:53pm by Wendl

lepaz Posted 24 May 2008 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 17

Just wondering if anyone else does this? icon_redface.gif It seems that when a birthday comes around for one of my kids, husband comes home with a cake order so I end up buying (I know, I know) a cake for my birthday child due to my time being taken up by hubbies cake. Anyways, I've always felt the guilt and sometimes managed to squeek out some pitiful cupcakes and the little ones were happy. Well, my oldest 14 year old DD put her foot down this year and let me know that she was not happy with her store bought cake and still reminds me about it 3 months later!! Now the other 3 have followed her lead!! I've been busted! icon_cry.gif My covers been blown!! icon_cry.gif Anyone else want to admit to it too???

16 replies
SugarplumStudio Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 17

I hear you!
I always make dessert to bring to my inlaws house for our Sunday family dinners. When I've had a particularly stressful and busy week, I find myself stopping into the supermarket and buying an $8.99 layer cake. They don't care because to them, cake is cake, but I always feel awful.

jewelykaye Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 17

LMAO... My husband has been bugging me to make him a special Birthday cake since I started cakes. Finally this year I broke down and made...are you ready...a cake mix cake with store bought icing. Just made the cake and plopped the icing on. Lol... one of these days maybe I'll have the time to make him something special.

He's even offered to pay me to make him HIS Birthday cake.

alidpayne Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 17

I know it is hard when you have an order & a family occasion at the same time, but think about this from your kids' point of view. If I were your child, and you made fancy beautiful cakes for everyone else, and then bought my birthday cake from the grocer, my feelings would be hurt. I would think that those other people (or their money) were more important than I was. Now, I know this isn't true, but children (even older ones) don't always think about the big picture.

My advice is to schedule them in as if they were paying clients. If you already had a wedding cake to make this weekend you would turn down a cake from your husband's work wouldn't you? Of course you would, because you would want to give the wedding cake your full attention, and you wouldn't cancel it for another order, it would be too important.

Business should never come before your family. I would treat my kid's birthday cakes like a VIP wedding cake and put them first. I know it is easy to get wrapped up in all the hubub and put them on the back burner. My mom used to do this to me and I never really got over it. She didn't make cakes, but she would do and do and do for other people, but not so much for us.

Maybe you should surprise her with something really cool when she doesn't expect it, like just a friday, no special occasion. Then make it a special point to NOT let it fall through the cracks again.

I am actually nursing a broken foot right now and am having some rather serious complications this week. My best friend/ SIL's birthday is Wednesday, and I had a wonderful cake planned for her. I am not going to be able to do it now, and I feel terrible. I know she isn't expecting one now that I am hurt, but I feel like I am letting her down. I will probably go ahead and make it once I am able and have a late party for her.

alidpayne Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 17
Originally Posted by jewelykaye

LMAO... My husband has been bugging me to make him a special Birthday cake since I started cakes. Finally this year I broke down and made...are you ready...a cake mix cake with store bought icing. Just made the cake and plopped the icing on. Lol... one of these days maybe I'll have the time to make him something special.

He's even offered to pay me to make him HIS Birthday cake.

Now, Husbands are a totally different story. LOL My husband is always wanting a "cool" cake too. I never seem to be able to fit him in. His cakes are always kinda plain. lol I compare this to the fact that his Mom can get him to work on her car with a simple phone call, but mine has to completely stop working before he will touch it. I guess this is one of those special situations with husband's and wives. Wouldn't want to spoil them.

diane Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 17

the same thing happened to me. my daughter said...NOT THIS TIME...YOU ARE GOING TO "MAKE" MY CAKE!! i no longer buy my kids cakes or just throw pitiful cupcakes or a plain old cake together. i take the time to make something special...after all...they won't be in the nest forever. icon_wink.gif

tiersfromheaven Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 17

This was the first year that I was finally able to give my 13 yr old a cake worthy of a customer! It didn't turn out how I envisioned (my husband hijacked the cake) but it was a cake I was very happy with. Unfortunately the luck didn't last . . . . my son got ice cream cake!

BrandisBaked Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 17

Last year, when my daughter turned 15, she decided she wanted to have her birthday party on the worst possible day for me (it was the first day of the farmer's market and my first time selling there... I was up baking all night to prepare for that). I told her to do it the following day, but she refused... so she got a Snickers cake from Albertsons that I picked up on the way home from the market.

This year, she did it on my schedule and got exactly the cake she wanted (the Mr. Men cake in my photos).

She just needed to learn that everything revolves around ME. Heh. icon_wink.gif

Granpam Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:57pm
post #9 of 17

I only takes a limited amount of cakes on a weekend. I have turned down paying customers so I could get my granchildren's cakes done. They are the reason I took the Wilton classes and they will always come first. Their cakes are scheduled just like a paying customer. My hubby would rather have a coconut cream pie and since I started decorating 8 years ago this was the first year I have made him one. He was thrilled.

lepaz Posted 24 May 2008 , 8:00pm
post #10 of 17

You guys are so funny!
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one and yes, I should do better. Go ahead and call CPS (Cake Patrol System). Since I've been busted, they are putting in their orders, Ipod cake, army cake and the other two are still undecided (I'm shaking icon_surprised.gif ). Let's see if the hubby doesn't jump on this bandwagon!

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 24 May 2008 , 8:04pm
post #11 of 17

I think the same thing happens with my kids. I dont buy their cakes but when it comes to theor bday cakes I think I lag majorly on them. All year long they see the cakes i make and then their bday comes close and I usually have other orders and dont give them the great cake that I had planned for them. They all got their 1st bday cakes that mom made this past winter and for their next bdays Ive promised myslef that the weekend of their birthdays I will not take any other orders and concentrate on their bday cake. They still loved the cakes that they all got but in my mind they could have been way better.

indydebi Posted 24 May 2008 , 9:25pm
post #12 of 17

About the only cake my 15 year old gets is trim-jobs .... the part of the cake I cut off to level the cake. She has five minutes to get what she wants from the scraps and then it goes in the trash.

Last weekend was my granddaughter's (6th) and my grandson's (1st) combined birthday party (their BD's are 10 days apart). I had to send the cakes to the party with grampa because gramma had a catering to drop off that day!! Anyway ... we all got there ok (gramma, grampa and the cake). When we got around to cutting and eating the cake, my 15 year old said, "Mmmmm!! A real piece of cake! With icing! And it's not a trim job!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I think I'm neglecting her!

Although .... this is the same kid who put HER foot down and told me, on her last birthday, that she wanted a regular cake .... a box mix with canned icing regular cake. No borders, no decorations, no fancy doo-dads. Just a plain, regular cake like her friends get! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

P.S. And oldest daughter (mother of my grandchildren) put HER foot down and wanted just white cake with white icing ".... none of that fancy dancy raspberry filling crap with white chocolate cake ... just plain, white cake with white icing filling!"

Where oh where did I go wrong with my children!! icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

tracycakes Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:02am
post #13 of 17

My poor hubby gets left out too. I don't think I've made him a BD cake since his 50th BD 10 years ago. He turns 60 in 2 weeks and I'm determined to make him a cakte. I know it will be carrot cake with cream cheese icing because we both love it. I just have no ideas on how I'm going to decorate it. icon_cry.gif I think I may just practice some new techniques and use those on his cake. Now to figure out what I want to practice. icon_rolleyes.gif

dee-lite Posted 25 May 2008 , 12:26pm
post #14 of 17

I have been guilty a few busy times of buying for my family, but decided that putting them in my schedule book as if they were customers assures that I don"t dissapoint anyone (trust me they may say they understand but I think I would have to sleep with one eye open -no really!) thumbs_up.gif

lepaz Posted 25 May 2008 , 6:14pm
post #15 of 17

Well, since she won't let her store bought cake for her birthday go, I've decided to make her a graduation cake (8th grade-where has the time gone????) Although, I'll have to wear goggles to keep the tears off the cake while I'm making it. Next time I blink, she'll be graduating from college icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

tiffy76620 Posted 25 May 2008 , 6:46pm
post #16 of 17

Actually this JUST happened to me, last month! My youngest child just turned 18 and I had planned to make a replica of his 1970's bass guitar, had the templates and everything all ready to go, then a wedding cake order came in, and I told my self I can do both, well guess what the wedding cake was made, but my son's guitar cake was NOT. I felt sooo soo bad, and still do. I bought him a baskin robbins ice cream cake.

He will be graduating from hs next year, and I am going to remain firm. NO ORDERS during that time. I will make his carved full size guitar cake then.

Wendl Posted 25 May 2008 , 6:53pm
post #17 of 17

I don't have kids, but since last summer (the first summer I was doing cakes) was so full of emotional trauma (live-in beau dumped me) and possible upheaval (moving cities had I taken a job), I had neither a proper party (for my 40th...another emotional moment), nor the cake I wanted to make myself.
This year, I am on my own (happily now), didn't take the job (didn't pay enough to justify even if it WAS New Orleans), and dadgumit, I AM having a party AND making my cake! icon_smile.gif
Now, it's time to be my own worst possible client!!! LOL! I can't decide what I want to do! LOL!
Thank goodness my furbabies aren't cake eaters!
And, should I ever choose to date again...I want a beau that is good to me, and loves any cake I make for him and us! icon_smile.gif
Peace, love and buttercream,

Quote by @%username% on %date%