Nooooooooo...........arghhhhhhhhhhhh!

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 25 May 2008 , 4:02pm by loriemoms

MikeRowesHunny Posted 24 May 2008 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 24

This morning I had a phone call telling me that my Noah's Ark cake (in my photos) had collapsed on one side - noooooooooo! The party isn't until tomorrow, so I asked them to bring it back to me to see what I could do to fix it. When it gets back to me, it's ruined. There is no way I can repair it icon_cry.gif . 11 hours of work down the drain icon_sad.gif . I really can't see why it went. I can only think that the weight of the animals caused some problem and pulled that side of the cake off (it was the front part). I'm so upset. I can't fix or remake it, so I've offered a full refund and a sheet cake with a choc transfer of Noah's Ark for them to serve. I don't see what else I can do. It kinda peeves me though that I was asked to deliver it last night (Friday) if the party isn't until tomorrow afternoon (Sunday) icon_cry.gif . I could have delivered the cake Sunday lunchtime and the problem may not have occurred icon_rolleyes.gifthumbsdown.gificon_cry.gif .

So now I mourn the beautiful cake that was that is now sitting on my dining table. Guess it's cake for dinner then icon_rolleyes.gif !

23 replies
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 24 May 2008 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 24

I just want to say that just because the cake fell/caved doesn't mean it was from poor structure or anything you didn't do...someone could have dropped something on it, ran into the table it was on...a whole variety of reasons. How are you sure that you are to blame?

lepaz Posted 24 May 2008 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 24

So sorry to hear of your loss. icon_cry.gif I looked at the cake in your photos and it was a wonderful cake. I can understand how you feel.

grama_j Posted 24 May 2008 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 24

It looks like you distributed the weight evenly.I can't imagine why one side would fall off... I think perhaps some little fingers and hands were involved.... how sad... icon_cry.gif

rmelendrez Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 24

Ohhhhhh...I'm feeling your pain!!! I'm so sorry! It's so cute!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 24

The husband swears there was a crack in it along the side of the cabin behind the animals when he got home from work at 6.30 last night. We delivered the cake at 5.45 and there was no crack then (I know I checked the cake to make sure everything was still in one piece after the journey!). He says when he got up this morning the side had fallen off. He swears it was in a cool room, in the box and no-one had moved or touched it. I do however know that his little brats can never keep their hands off my cakes (I have done several for them and the first thing they want to do is touch it!) - but what am I to do, I can't prove anything. It's also a joint cake for their son's classmate, so I can't exactly let that side of the customer base down!

Dee1219 Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 24

Ohh, I am SO sorry!! that is the worst feeling, all that work!! Gosh that stinks! This has happened to me twice in the last 6 months!! MY easter cake and my basket weave with the flowers. It is the worst feeling ever. My deepest sympathies!

Dee1219 Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:25pm
post #8 of 24

Ohh, I am SO sorry!! that is the worst feeling, all that work!! Gosh that stinks! This has happened to me twice in the last 6 months!! MY easter cake and my basket weave with the flowers. It is the worst feeling ever. My deepest sympathies!

Molly2 Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:27pm
post #9 of 24

I am so sorry that happened to you it makes you wonder what really happened to such a pretty cake. Did you use a pound cake recipe or box or ? I know I made a box cake recently and before I could get the icing on it it cracked and if he does have a child your cake is so cute it looks like a toy more then a cake you did a very good job .

Molly2

MikeRowesHunny Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:43pm
post #10 of 24

I used Nati's Chocolate Buttercake recipe, I've used it before for carved 3D work and never had a problem! The more I think about it, the more I think 'hmmmmm'! I've persuaded them to a cupcake cake with flat fondant animals as time is really against me to replace this cake - it's 21:40 and I've only just got the second lot of cupcakes in the oven! The mother is in New Zealand, as sadly her mother has just died, and the father has always struck me that he couldn't organise a 'p*ss up in a brewery', as we like to say in the UK! I delivered the cake and the only person there besides the kids was an adult nephew (who tried to underpay me!!!) - who apparently looked at the cake just after I left and saw a crack too (so I must be blind) . I just don't know about this one, but it leaves a fishy taste in my mouth and now I'm out big $$$$ from the refund and making another cake, not to mention all the time I'll have put into these two cakes - grrrrrrrr!

chrissy410 Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:56pm
post #11 of 24

I'm so sorry that happened to your beautiful cake. Were any of the animals at least salvageable? They were adorable!

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 24 May 2008 , 8:14pm
post #12 of 24

If you have a bad feeling i would not refund the money. once the cakes leaves my house it is their problem. i would maybe just offer them another cake and no refund since they really cant prove its something that you did that made the cake fall apart. they are the ones that wanted the cake so early

sorry all that work was ruined. it was an awesome cake

Cakebelle Posted 24 May 2008 , 8:53pm
post #13 of 24

I feel sorry you had to go through all that!

(((((((((HUGS)))))))))

chutzpah Posted 24 May 2008 , 8:56pm
post #14 of 24

Oh no! And such a cute cake to boot. I'd be suspicious too.

lainalee Posted 24 May 2008 , 9:36pm
post #15 of 24

Seems to me that you would have noticed some "Slipping" when it was delivered. So sorry to hear it was ruined. It was an exceptinal piece of work. Be wary of any future orders with these people, and maybe add a clause that once delivered, your not responsible.

KathysCC Posted 24 May 2008 , 10:29pm
post #16 of 24

Oh not the Noah's ark cake! icon_cry.gif I saw the picture the day you loaded it and even commented on it. Awww! You know, I have to agree with the statement about what happens after it leaves you. You know others are not so gentle with cakes as we are. That could have been the problem.

I also looked again closely at your pictures. Did you have a cake board under the upper part of the ark and the animals or were the animals just sitting on cake? If they were not on a board, then I could see how the weight of all those little animals could make it come down. That is a lot more weight on the very edge of a cake than you usually see. (But after all, it is two of every animal on earth, that must be heavy icon_lol.gif ) A jingly car ride could cause an "earthquake".

The other thing that I was thinking was that you are right about the time frame. I am assuming that you started this cake at the latest on Thursday and if it sat outside of refrigeration the moisture from the cake would make the fondant a little softer with each passing hour. That seems like an awfully long time for a cake to wait.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'm glad you have pictures of your masterpiece though even if they didn't get the cake.

CakeDiva73 Posted 24 May 2008 , 10:36pm
post #17 of 24

I am so sorry...... I am unclear about something though. You dropped off the cake and it was fine. It somehow collapsed afterwards and you are still responsible? That doesn't make any sense! The kids probably messed with it or bumped the table - how is this your responsibility?

What is the protocol because I feel like if it's structurally sound, once the customer has taken delivery, it is their responsibility... the longer a cake sits out and is complete, the more possibility for it to become ruined....

Again, I am just so sorry that this happened. That cake was the cutest, most creative cake I have ever seen in my life and my kids went nuts when they looked at it! Incredible job!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 24 May 2008 , 11:14pm
post #18 of 24

Awww, thank you all! Well the replacement cake is finshed, finally at 01:15AM. It's no Noah's Ark, but it's still pretty cute (or I think so!).

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1224788.html

Still want to cry over my masterpiece though! The mother not being there just doesn't bode well for me - I think that and the length of time the cake was going to have to wait, plus I learnt that it was going to travel for another 30 minutes to the party location = a disaster in the making whatever happened!!!

My OH (who has only just returned home from his gig), told me that the cake was bought back sitting on the front seat of this guy's sports car. It was squished up against one side of the box when I looked at it (I left to take my kids to the beach before he got here, so I didn't see it until 5pm), and that must have happened during it's journey back to me. I'm now thinking that the cake got extra damage on the way back that made it impossible for me to repair!!! I will be having words about that stupidity with this guy tomorrow when I deliver the other cake - grrrrrrrrrrr!

I'm off to bed, exhausted and stressed. Goodnight all xxx

sweetcravings Posted 24 May 2008 , 11:43pm
post #19 of 24

Whats with noah's ark cakes falling apart? I was just watching an 'ace of cakes' episode and they were making a noah's ark cake too. They were having a similar problem...fondant/modeling choco were falling off the cake. Must have something to do with the angles on the cake.
Sorry to hear about your difficultiies. I know how upsetting that can be.
suz

ladyonzlake Posted 24 May 2008 , 11:54pm
post #20 of 24

Oh I am so sorry to hear about your cake...that is such an adorable cake! I'm pretty sure it was the animals. On my jungle cake, I didn't use a cake board under them and when the cake came to room temperature the side of my cake fell. It was just a single tiered cake so I know it was the weight of my animals....fortunatly we were ready to slice it up anyway!

diane Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:52am
post #21 of 24

wow...that cake is awesome. icon_eek.gif
can't understand why it would collapse. it looked evenly structured. icon_eek.gif

costumeczar Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:39pm
post #22 of 24

That cake was so cute, but I can see why it might have collapsed if it was given enough time. The slight curve of the sides of the boat and the weight of the fondant animals sitting on the edges could have made it go...

I'm not saying that little fingers didn't have anything to do with it, believe me. Unfortunately, you can't know for sure what happened after you left.

Something weird like this happened to me this past weekend. I'd made a Pez dispenser cake, and covered it with fondant that was perfectly flat. The shape of the cake was a rectangle, sitting flat on a board, and between the time I sat it flat on a table and came back the next morning a crack had developed in the fondant. icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif I have no idea how that happened, since it was sitting flat, it was a flat shape, and there had been no movement of the cake at all. My point is just that strange things happen...

If you decide to do this cake design again (Because it really was cute) I'd suggest that you do the entire top part of the cake on a board cut to the shape of the top deck of the boat. That way you can sit it on top of the cake and use supporting dowels in the boat part of the cake. That will give you enough support that the top section won't fall off. You could also do the animals ahead of time and just have the top part ready to put onto the boat after you decorate and dowel the boat itself.

I'd also not deliver to these people until an hour before the party! I personally wouldn't deliver anything that far ahead, because you don't know what's going to happen between the time you drop it off and the time they serve it. Especially if there are little brats running around the premises.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:48pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I'd also not deliver to these people until an hour before the party! I personally wouldn't deliver anything that far ahead, because you don't know what's going to happen between the time you drop it off and the time they serve it. Especially if there are little brats running around the premises.

Believe me, if I'd known the party was today, I would have delivered it today, and directly to the location too! I think I may have got to the root of the problem. I used a new fondant on this cake because it tastes nicer than my usual brand (Pettinice). I had a piece of the cake this afternoon and the fondant that was against the buttercream/cake was almost melted, even though it seemed firm enough on the outside. I think this caused the problem, combined with the unsupported weight of the animals. I've never had a problem with Pettinice as it firms up well after it gets put on the cake! So a warning to anyone considering using Regalice Marshmallow Fondant on a 3D cake - DON'T! I was going to put it on a standard wedding cake next month, but I think I will have second thoughts about that now too, especially as the cake will be filled with whipped white chocolate ganache (a 'wet' filling)!

loriemoms Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:02pm
post #24 of 24

that is a beautiful cake! I am not sure if anyone has posted or not, but once a cake is delivered, I always take photos at the site and if someone calls saying something happened to it, I charge a fee to fix it, or too bad. You never know what might happen to a cake once it is set up (especailly with children around, but I have set up cakes in a busy reception site and you never know what can happen!) If they complain, you have the photos to proove it is ok. I also had a couple of places where the tables weren't too great and I had them sign the invoice that the cake arrived and was set up properly.

But back to this, I love this cake, Like I said, it is a beautful cake and you should be proud! (I bet one of the kids decided to pull an animal out !)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%