Chocolate And Coffee

Decorating By dabear Updated 28 May 2008 , 9:32pm by DianeLM

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 24 May 2008 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 18

Does any body know if you can get instant expresso powder and if so where. I have only found expresso. THis is for a chocolate cake. Can I use regular expresso?

17 replies
MOBOGAL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MOBOGAL Posted 24 May 2008 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 18

Instant espresso powder does exist...I found it at Harris Teeter, but not at Kroger. I don't see why you couldn't sub regular espresso if you can't find it though. Good luck!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 24 May 2008 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 18

I get instant espresso powder at Central Market.

dabear Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 18

I'll try the Central Market in HEB. Does any one know for sure that it is ok to use regular expresso coffee verse instant expresso coffee. What is the difference? I am not a coffee drinker so I have no idea what the difference is except one is made quicker. Is it a finer power/grain? Would either react the same way with the liquids and baking?

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 18

Don't get regular espresso. The difference is, instant will actually turn to espresso in water, regular will still be grounds and espresso (which is why you use a filter in regular coffee and espresso). I don't know where to buy instant though. I have used just regular brewed espresso blend coffee to sub for powder in a pinch.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 18

I get my instant espresso powder at the regular grocery store with the other instant coffees. I have also seen it in gourmet stores and online.

You can substitute good quality instant coffee if you're just using it for "undertones" in your baking. I have also seen coffee extracts on the market.

bevyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bevyd Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:57am
post #7 of 18

I use plain old instant coffee ,I have 2 recipes that call for expresso one is a brownie recipe and the other is a cake.Two reasons why, first I could never find instant expresso in the supermarket that I shop at and second the amount that the recipe called for was two tablespoons.

bevyd Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:58am
post #8 of 18

I use plain old instant coffee ,I have 2 recipes that call for expresso one is a brownie recipe and the other is a cake.Two reasons why, first I could never find instant expresso in the supermarket that I shop at and second the amount that the recipe called for was two tablespoons.

dabear Posted 28 May 2008 , 7:23pm
post #9 of 18

I didn't realize trying to find instant expresso would be impossible in the area I live in! None of the grocery stores in my area carry it. I even asked the person in the bulk section at the Central Market HEB, she said no. No one is our area carries it. SHe suggested to use regular instant coffee but double or triple the amount of coffee, since expresso is a very bold coffee. What do you all think? I don't want to make the cake taste like coffee.

DianeLM Posted 28 May 2008 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 18

If you don't want to add coffee flavor to your cake, then you shouldn't use espresso anyway. Just use some regular brewed coffee in place of the water in your recipe to boost the chocolate flavor.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 28 May 2008 , 7:42pm
post #11 of 18

Okay, okay.... I'll be the one to say it.

Espresso is spelled E S P R E S S O

I buy it with the other instant coffees. I've used regular instant in a pinch and it worked well. The regular instant has larger grains, though.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 28 May 2008 , 7:52pm
post #12 of 18

Do you have Wegmans in your area? I looked all over for instant espresso, then stumbled across it in Wegmans on the spaghetti sauce/Italian foods aisle. It was not on the coffee aisle, which would have made more sense, IMO.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 28 May 2008 , 7:52pm
post #13 of 18

IF you need to order it Kingarthurflour.com carries the espresso powder! Its about $4? for maybe 2oz but seems to last a long time !

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 28 May 2008 , 7:54pm
post #14 of 18

I have used a French Roast brewed from my Senseo and instant coffee they work fine.

You just need the enhancement of flavor; it's not enough to make it taste like coffee IMO.

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 28 May 2008 , 8:01pm
post #15 of 18

I bought some kahlua flavoring at the Bakers Cash and Carry. Wonder if I add it to a chocolate cake recipe if one teaspoon would be enough.? Maybe 2 or 3? Anyone ever tried this???

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 28 May 2008 , 8:07pm
post #16 of 18

I've tried regular Kahlua in baking but frankly, it doesn't add enough flavor to justify how much it costs. Instant espresso/coffee is a lot cheaper.

Now, if you want to drizzle a little Kahlua on afterwards or use it to flavor fillings or buttercream...totally different story - it's very good there.

bevyd Posted 28 May 2008 , 9:03pm
post #17 of 18

If you do use regular instant coffee, I would not double the amount, the coffee will help bring out the flavor of the chocolate, if you use more than the what the recipe calls for it might effect the taste of your cake.Best of luck to you.

DianeLM Posted 28 May 2008 , 9:32pm
post #18 of 18

I've used regular instant coffee in a pinch and was not happy with the results. The cake definitely had an off flavor. I would rather use water than instant coffee.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%