GrannieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrannieJ Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:44pm
post #1 of 48

can anyone clarify this for me??

47 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 48

That BETTER not be true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 48

ut oh...there's going to be some unhappy customers!!! icon_eek.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 24 May 2008 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 48

That better be one heck of a false rumor or I'm gonna be ticked.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 24 May 2008 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 48

Somebody call Proctor and Gamble and ask them!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 24 May 2008 , 9:35pm
post #6 of 48

OMG is that the reason I am having soooo much trouble for the FIRST time with SS's recipe??? UGHHH NOOOOOOOOOO

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 24 May 2008 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 48

Ohhh, I just bought a 4 lb bucket to try. icon_cry.gif . The good news is I was just going to buy the 50 lb cube but Alan at GSA was out of stock and said they won't carry it thru the summer due to the fact of it melting during shipping in the summer heat.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 24 May 2008 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 48

I ordered the 50 lb. cube a few weeks ago.. and have about 30 pounds left icon_cry.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 24 May 2008 , 10:12pm
post #10 of 48

I am confused....why is that bad? Is that why everyone uses Sweetex, because it DOES have trans fats but the new Crisco doesn't? I feel so stupid - I just don't get it. Also, isn't going the way of no trans fat inevitable for the future? thanks to anyone who can enlighten me, lol!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 24 May 2008 , 10:18pm
post #11 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

I am confused....why is that bad? Is that why everyone uses Sweetex, because it DOES have trans fats but the new Crisco doesn't? I feel so stupid - I just don't get it. Also, isn't going the way of no trans fat inevitable for the future? thanks to anyone who can enlighten me, lol!

Sweetex is an emulsified shortening. It allows for more liquids in a recipe. Crisco doesn't contain emulsifiers

Mike

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 24 May 2008 , 10:32pm
post #12 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Trans fats also make the melting point of the shortening higher. When Crisco cut out the trans fat, my icing started sliding off my cakes. I've change my recipe.

punkiin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkiin Posted 24 May 2008 , 10:47pm
post #13 of 48

I will be very upset, because I just got a 4lb bucket GSA to try. I've never used a hi-ratio shortening and wanted to what everyone was talking about. UGH Please keep us informed.

Cindy

psanders76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psanders76 Posted 24 May 2008 , 11:39pm
post #14 of 48

Not good!!!!

sugarshack Posted 24 May 2008 , 11:40pm
post #15 of 48

oh NO! that article sounds bad! the are coming ut with Sweetex Z. I looked for an email to ask them if they would still make the old sweetex but did not find one.

I cannot cake without my sweetex.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:05am
post #16 of 48

I just checked my brand new 50# box of Sweetex that I got a couple of weeks ago and it has 3 grams of Tran fat per serving (yahoo) listed on the ingredient list but I ordered this box because I was worried about this very thing happening! I will be majorly depressed if they take out my beloved trans fat!! My icing is incredible with Sweetex!!!

mkolmar Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:27am
post #17 of 48

I'm going to try to write sweetex. At least give people an option of the old or new product. I have an outside wedding in July booked for next year. It will not be possible with their new product.

Cakepro Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:37am
post #18 of 48

Even if Sweetex was the first to jump from trans-fatty hi-ratio to trans-free hi-ratio, there are a handful of other brands available...Alpine, BakeMark, Penguin, and CK come to mind.

I personally use BakeMark because I can get it locally for 40 bucks for 50 pounds. The box I bought 2 days ago has trans fats.

christeena Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:51am
post #19 of 48

WOW! Fifty pounds for $40 - that's an incredible price!! I've never heard of them! I get Sweetex from the GFS and it has gone up from the $62 for 50# a year ago to $92 dollars just a couple of weeks ago! Might have to look up BakeMark on the internet and see if I can find them close to me!!

mkolmar Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:35am
post #20 of 48

I knew of Alpine, but never heard of BakeMark. There are very few selections where I live. Sweetex or Crisco that's it.

Where do you purchase your BakeMark?

Cakepro Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:57am
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Where do you purchase your BakeMark?

At BakeMark. icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.bakemarkusa.com/

They have 18 warehouses throughout the US. I'm lucky to have one here in Houston, about 20 minutes from my house. I wasn't able to find their warehouse locations listed on their website, but anyone who is interested in finding one near them can call their corporate office.

On their website, it says, "BakeMark USA is a leading distributor and manufacturer of fine bakery & food ingredients. With 18 branches located across the United States, BakeMark USA provides bakeries with a complete offering of ingredients through five exclusive brands: Westco, Trigal Dorado, Produits Marguerite, BakeQwik, and BakeSense. Product categories include:

* bakery mixes, bases, and concentrates
* fruit and creme fillings
* flavors
* fruit concentrates (fruit-o's) that deliver flavor, fruit particles, and color
* icings and glazes
* flour
* sugar
* shortening and oils
* packaging

Corporate Office
7351 Crider Avenue
Pico Rivera, CA 90660-9903
Tel (562) 949-1054
Fax (562) 949-1257

sugarshack Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:14am
post #22 of 48

The only problem with that, for me, is that i am SO hi ratio picky. I have tried a few brands ( not Bakemark though) and none work as well for me as sweetex ( I am not saying the others are not good nor work for others, I just LUV my sweetex)

and I just have to have my Sweetex! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA

CakeDiva73 Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:27am
post #23 of 48

Click on this link:

http://www.bakemarkusa.com/

then go to contact, sales contacts and then branches and it will list their locations by state. They made it as hard as possible to locate their branches and blocks the direct URL address to this page.

mkolmar Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:22pm
post #24 of 48

Thanks for the info. I tried calling the people who make Sweetex to ask them about all of this but they were out for the night. I'll call on Tuesday.
I'll start checking out other brands in the meantime though.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 27 May 2008 , 6:44pm
post #25 of 48

ACH makes both Sweetex and Alpine...here's their website on their new zero trans fat products.

Click on "Baking", and then you can select Sweetex or Alpine from the right side

http://www.achzerotrans.com/

Sounds like the new products have a"Z" after them, I would be curious if they are going to completely discontinue the trans fat version like Crisco did.

This is bad........

CakeDiva73 Posted 27 May 2008 , 6:55pm
post #26 of 48

oy!

christeena Posted 27 May 2008 , 9:02pm
post #27 of 48

I just sent off an e-mail to ach questioning this decision and if the regular Sweetex will still be available. I will post their reply if and when I get one! There website claims that the new Sweetex to be perfection!!

christeena Posted 27 May 2008 , 9:05pm
post #28 of 48

Just found out that my e-mail did not go through per their contact information!! Has anyone else tried to get in touch with ACH??

CakeDiva73 Posted 27 May 2008 , 9:10pm
post #29 of 48

Yep, my email was returned as well!! Wonder what's going on? Could be they have new contact info and no one updated the website......

christeena Posted 27 May 2008 , 9:15pm
post #30 of 48

CakeDiva,

Can you copy and paste their claims concerning the new Sweetex here? I am so computer illiterate that I don;t think I could master that but I think others here would be interested in seeing what ACH has to say about the trans-fat free Sweetex.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%