Shelf Life Of Whipped Cream Frosting??

Decorating By Shola Updated 24 May 2008 , 1:23pm by dodibug

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 24 May 2008 , 8:47am
post #1 of 5

Hello All!

I want to make a cake in advance for a friend with Whipped cream Frosting in it, ( a mix of Cream Cheese frosting and heavy cream), If the frosting is used as a filling and the cake is fondant covered (essentially keeping the whipped cream out of the air) do you think it will be ok to keep the cake out for 24 hours before serving?? icon_confused.gif
(Bearing in mind it is hot and humid here and I can keep the cake in A/C for at least 12 of the 24)
(I don't want to refridgerate becuase of the fondant)
icon_smile.gif
Shola
XXX

4 replies
Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 24 May 2008 , 9:19am
post #2 of 5

I'm not a fondant expert at all, but I'd think with a/c and not in direct sun you'd be fine. I dont' always refrigerate cakes I do for my family, because room temp is nicer for flavor. I just keep the plate in a cupboard...usually only takes an extra day to eat all cakes up around here anyway! None of us have suffered... icon_biggrin.gif

Oooh, and PS: I love your Totoro avatar!!!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 24 May 2008 , 10:54am
post #3 of 5

You are far safer to refrigerate. You have no way of knowing if your recipe has enough sugar to act as a preservative. And you are using ingredients that require refrigeration-cream cheese, heavy cream. Keeping the whipped cream from the air has nothing to do with stopping bacterial growth. It will keep a cake from going stale a bit longer but won't prevent bacterial growth. Hot/humid+no ac/little ac= lots of fun for bacteria!

Fondant can be refrigerated. You just have to let it come to room temp and the condensation evaporate and don't touch it until it's dry.

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 24 May 2008 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks guys, perhaps best not to risk it then, I thought with the cream being all secured inside the cake it would be less prone to going bad so thanks for the info on that Dodobug icon_smile.gif

Totoro is the cutest!Lol icon_lol.gif

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 24 May 2008 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 5

icon_wink.gif I always fall to the side of caution when dealing with feeding others! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%