Attaching Satin Ribbon Around Cake

Decorating By sweetie27 Updated 24 May 2008 , 4:10pm by Cookie4

sweetie27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetie27 Posted 24 May 2008 , 6:53am
post #1 of 9

Can anyone please tell me how one can manage to stick satin ribbon around a cake without having the dabs of icing under the ribbon showing a dark circles on the ribbon?

I have tried 1:6 (eggwhite : icing sugar ) icing and even ready bought white icing. I must admit that the latter marked less but still it was showing.

8 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:11am
post #2 of 9

i've heard of using double-sided tape. icon_lol.gif

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:29pm
post #3 of 9

Someone is always one step ahead of me, I was going to ask this question! icon_smile.gif I never thought of double sided tape- great idea! thumbs_up.gif

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:29pm
post #4 of 9

I just asked the same question on a different thread. Oops!

Do you coat your ribbon with waxed paper? That's what I did. I still have to deliver this cake today, but the others I have seen do not show grease stains if they are coated.

strawberry0121 Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:30pm
post #5 of 9

Double sided tape on a cake? Ew!

Mine is BC, I REALLY don't think that would work for mine. It might be ok on fondant if you really wanted to use tape on your cake.

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 9

I think you only put the tape on the two ends of the ribbon that face each other. It doesn't touch the cake. I think anyway. I can't imagine anyone here would advise you to do that. icon_confused.gif

strawberry0121 Posted 24 May 2008 , 1:48pm
post #7 of 9

And you don't need to adhere it to the actual cake with anything?

strawberry0121 Posted 24 May 2008 , 3:57pm
post #8 of 9

Update:

I tired the ribbon over my crusted BC and didn't like the way it looked. I had already coated it with wax paper, so I painted a strip of piping gel on the cake for the ribbon to stick to. It looked much better.

I did a test on a scrap ribbon to make sure it wouldn't seep through the ribbon and it seemed fine.

I'll let you know after I deliver and set up the cake.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 24 May 2008 , 4:10pm
post #9 of 9

I've used contact paper on the back of the ribbon to keep the grease from showing.

You could also use a tape and just tape it to the back of the ribbon to seal it.

Also, I used to iron (with a cool iron) the wax from waxed paper onto the ribbon. This is done much in the way as a kid we used to make cards with waxed paper and flowers/leaves in the middle then iron the sheets together.

The whole concept here is to put something water/grease resistant against the back of the ribbon.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%