Attaching Satin Ribbon Around Cake

Decorating By sweetie27 Updated 24 May 2008 , 4:10pm by Cookie4

sweetie27 Posted 24 May 2008 , 6:53am
post #1 of 9

Can anyone please tell me how one can manage to stick satin ribbon around a cake without having the dabs of icing under the ribbon showing a dark circles on the ribbon?

I have tried 1:6 (eggwhite : icing sugar ) icing and even ready bought white icing. I must admit that the latter marked less but still it was showing.

8 replies
diane Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:11am
post #2 of 9

i've heard of using double-sided tape. icon_lol.gif

dabear Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:29pm
post #3 of 9

Someone is always one step ahead of me, I was going to ask this question! icon_smile.gif I never thought of double sided tape- great idea! thumbs_up.gif

strawberry0121 Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:29pm
post #4 of 9

I just asked the same question on a different thread. Oops!

Do you coat your ribbon with waxed paper? That's what I did. I still have to deliver this cake today, but the others I have seen do not show grease stains if they are coated.

strawberry0121 Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:30pm
post #5 of 9

Double sided tape on a cake? Ew!

Mine is BC, I REALLY don't think that would work for mine. It might be ok on fondant if you really wanted to use tape on your cake.

mindywith3boys Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 9

I think you only put the tape on the two ends of the ribbon that face each other. It doesn't touch the cake. I think anyway. I can't imagine anyone here would advise you to do that. icon_confused.gif

strawberry0121 Posted 24 May 2008 , 1:48pm
post #7 of 9

And you don't need to adhere it to the actual cake with anything?

strawberry0121 Posted 24 May 2008 , 3:57pm
post #8 of 9

I tired the ribbon over my crusted BC and didn't like the way it looked. I had already coated it with wax paper, so I painted a strip of piping gel on the cake for the ribbon to stick to. It looked much better.

I did a test on a scrap ribbon to make sure it wouldn't seep through the ribbon and it seemed fine.

I'll let you know after I deliver and set up the cake.

Cookie4 Posted 24 May 2008 , 4:10pm
post #9 of 9

I've used contact paper on the back of the ribbon to keep the grease from showing.

You could also use a tape and just tape it to the back of the ribbon to seal it.

Also, I used to iron (with a cool iron) the wax from waxed paper onto the ribbon. This is done much in the way as a kid we used to make cards with waxed paper and flowers/leaves in the middle then iron the sheets together.

The whole concept here is to put something water/grease resistant against the back of the ribbon.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%