Do You Use Convection Heat For Baking Cakes?

Decorating By dessert1st Updated 24 May 2008 , 2:28am by tilly41

dessert1st Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:18am
post #1 of 4

Hi, I am making my first wedding cake this week and have never baked in the larger sized pans. Any suggestions for better baking?

My oven has a convection option but I haven't used it yet. What's the difference? Do you need to add water to the oven to keep from drying the food?

I usually bake at a lower temperature in a "regular" oven, and just extend the time. What do you do?

Sorry for all the questions.

3 replies
Petit-four Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:21am
post #2 of 4

I use the convection oven when I have several layers of pans. The air is circulated evenly, so you can really load up the oven. I lower the temperature slightly (about 10-20 degrees) and find they bake a few minutes sooner.

However...each oven is slightly different, though I've read most CC members have good results with theirs.

indydebi Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:24am
post #3 of 4

I have a comm'l convection oven, which, from reading threads on CC, is a little different from a home convection oven.

I threw out my first three cakes that came out of the oven until I found the right temp and conditions: 275 and a pan of water on the bottom rack.

tilly41 Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:28am
post #4 of 4

I do all of my baking with my convection setting and get great results. I keep the same temp, but find that my cakes are usually done in a shorter amount of time - anywhere between 5 and 10 minutes sooner.

Quote by @%username% on %date%