Why Do People Put A Flower Nail In Their Cake Pan?

Decorating By lindsey312 Updated 25 May 2008 , 3:05am by lindsey312

lindsey312 Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:18am
post #1 of 6

I am still really new to baking and decorating, and really wanting to pick up on any tips that I can... which is why I LOVE CC!!

I am curious as to why people say they put a flower nail in their pans while baking. What does this do? Are there certain types of cakes or pans that you do this for? and how do you place the nail in there? Any info would be a big help! Thanks so much everybody!! icon_razz.gif

5 replies
annieliz Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:25am
post #2 of 6

When u are making larger cakes it helps them to bake more evenly. Works pretty well in my limited experience.

HTH

christeena Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:25am
post #3 of 6

Welcome to CC! You will soon become addicted like the rest of us!! I use upside down flower nails in pans 9" or bigger, 2 in a 10x15 and 3 in a 12x18 pan. It helps conduct heat so that the center of these larger cakes bake all the way. I just stick then through the parchment paper I use to line the pans.

armywife1 Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:28am
post #4 of 6

Welcome to CC! Off the topic (sorry icon_redface.gif ), but I noticed that you are from Ft. Hood. We just moved from there. LOVED IT!! Hope you are enjoying the warm weather. We are still waiting for it to warm up here in NY. icon_rolleyes.gif

Denae Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:28am
post #5 of 6

it distributes the heat throughout the pan so they bake evenly. you can also use heating cores and bake even strips or even cut up old cloths. hth...

lindsey312 Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:05am
post #6 of 6

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the tips! I can't wait to try this!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%