Need Some Tips... How Were These Done?

Baking By Katied75 Updated 24 May 2008 , 4:16pm by GeminiRJ

Katied75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katied75 Posted 24 May 2008 , 1:26am
post #1 of 13

Okay, I want to make some cookies for a family bbq this weekend. I found these on cake central and I love them. However, I've never done anything like this before. Can anybody give me pointers? Here's the questions I have so far:

1. What recipe would make the icing look this shiny?

2. What do you put the cookie sticks into to keep them held upright (is it just tissue paper or something more)?

3. How do you make the little white stars on the heart cookies?

And finally, what is a great sugar cookie recipe?

Thanks!

Katie

12 replies
kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 24 May 2008 , 1:34am
post #2 of 13

can you post a picture so we can see too

Katied75 Posted 24 May 2008 , 1:55am
post #3 of 13

Yep... you mean you can't see the picture in my head, lol? Don't know how I forgot but here's the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=731293

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:17am
post #4 of 13

wow! those are amazing cookies.
i dont have a clue, but would love to learn how they were made.
hopefully someone will respond.
****im sitting here, waiting**** icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:29am
post #5 of 13

It said in the description that the frosting was done with this recipe: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2119-1-Toba-Garretts-Glace-Icing.html

You put the sticks into a styrofoam block. The tissue paper hides the styrofoam.

The little stars were probably done with a tip 13...the thinner icing for cookies will spread a bit, and make a flatter star than you'd get with that tip and buttercream.

Katied75 Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:31am
post #6 of 13

Thanks Texas_rose! I am so appreciative of how helpful people on CC can be.

Katie

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:32am
post #7 of 13

For the icing recipe, it says right under the pic that Toba's Glace was used. Sorry, I don't know the recipe, but maybe it's in the recipe section here.

I made cookie pops once. In order to have them stand up I stuck them into one of my cake dummies, and you need a fair bit of weight for the container.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:34am
post #8 of 13

Did you try sending a pm to LovesPekes
and ask how they were done? That's what I would do.

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 24 May 2008 , 1:38pm
post #9 of 13

You can find a cookie recipe on this site for No Fail Sugar Cookies. Are you making thme on a stick? If so, I always put the sticks in as soon as they come out of the oven. The cookies need to be kinda thicker than usual. Just slide the stick in while they warm and make sure you put them about 1/2 way through the cookie. I also take another cookie sheet before I put the sticks in, and flatten out my cookies. That gives me a smooth surface to work with. The icing won't run down then. If the stick pokes through the back, just put some royal icing on it and that should hold it on the stick.

I like Toba's Glaze, but it can dull and have cracked lines in it. I make a version of royal that looks the same and tastes the same, but doesn't get cloudy. 2 lbs. powdered sugar, 1 heaping tbsp. meringue powder, 2 tbsp. corn syrup, 2/3 cup water. Beat for at least 5 minutes. May need to add more or less water to get an almost elmer's glue consistency. I usually add 1/2 cup, beat, and then take out some, so I have a thick consistency for decorations, like the stars. Always keep it covered so it won't crust.

I use styrofoam to stick them in, but you do need to put weights in them to hold the styrofoam down. I like to put a bag of candy on top of my styrofoam. Double the uses. Sometimes my containers are heavy enough that the waits are not needed.

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:01pm
post #10 of 13

everyone does cookies a little different.
I would do them with NFSC.
cut a little on the thick side, and I put the stick in before I bake.

I use regular RI, but you could use the glazes mentioned or Wilton Color flow to get it more shiny.

I pipe an outline and flood fill (some can flood without the outline)
for the thin lines remember to have the icing a little thinner so that it flows well out the small tips.

for the stars on the flag cookies, I'd use star sprinkles, I'm sure there are a bunch on the market this time of year. (if it's a multi color pack, just pick out the white ones)

oh, and styrofoam for the base. some people use candy clay or candies like M 'n Ms

good luck! they look like fun!

Katied75 Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:23pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks everybody! I am really excited to try these. One last question: How long do I need to let the Icings dry?

Katie

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:31pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingfor5

I also take another cookie sheet before I put the sticks in, and flatten out my cookies. That gives me a smooth surface to work with. The icing won't run down then.

I ice the back of the cookies, which are already nice and flat. If doing letters or numbers, you just have to be sure to remember to put them in the oven upside down, so when you turn them over to ice the backside, the letter/number is facing the right way.

And I'm also a put-the-stick-in-before-baking person.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 24 May 2008 , 4:16pm
post #13 of 13

Instead of styrofoam, buy the green floral foam you can get at most craft stores. It's easy to trim to the size container you use, and it's fairly inexpensive. Use tissue paper to line the container before adding the foam, and use it around the sticks when you place them in the container. I like to add the sticks prior to baking, too. I've never had one fall off. When using Toba's glace, add some brite white food coloring. It really helps to keep the icing from getting cloudy (though I've only had a problem with this in cold weather). Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%