Lambeth Cake Decorating Method

Decorating By dream Updated 12 Jan 2013 , 2:49am by LovetoShare

dream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dream Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 25

I did a quick research on Lambeth Cake Decorating Method books and the ones listed were over $200! icon_eek.gif I looked on Borders/Waldenbooks. Are there any cheaper books out there and if so where do I find them?

24 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 25

Sorry, but the lambeth books have been out of print for decades, which is what makes them so valuable.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

dream Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 25

Thanks for the quick response Theresa! I had no idea that they were out of print. ooops.

playingwithsugar Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 25

That's what we're here for. To help each other and to guide the newbies.

Any time.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 25

If diligent you can pick one up on Ebay for about $75.00 bucks.

I have a wonderful cake book library but my Lambeth is my prize possession!

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:31pm
post #6 of 25

I'm no expert, but from what I've learned, this book was printed several times. The copies printed in the 1930's (1937?) are more expensive (in good condition) as the pictures are clearer. With each following reprint (I think the last was in the 1960's), the pictures supposedly get less clear, so they cost less. I haven't seen the different reprints to compare personally, but this is what I was told.

(I would love a copy myself, but hate to spend so much on a book right now.)

HTH

playingwithsugar Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:33pm
post #7 of 25

A more affordable alternative would be the Wilton Way of Cake Decorating series, better known as the Wilton Encyclopedias. There are three books to the set, with pattern books for each. One of these (I forget which, and mine are in a safe deposit box), touches on Lambeth method.

These books are more readily available from eBay, but the pattern books are rare. The rarest of the books is Volume 2, as there were less printed of this book than of the other two in the series.

The patterns are available through the pattern locator on the Wilton website.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tiptop57 Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 25

KonfectionKonnection - yes you are right they get less clear and that is why I got mine so cheap it was the final print in 1980.

Playingwithsugar that volume is The Wilton Way of Cake Decorating Volume II, which touches ever so briefly on Lambeth (sixteen pages). I own this also. I have not been able to ever find the pattern book to go along with it. And I still spent over 30.00 bucks on it.

The Lambeth book shows you borders and trim you will never see otherwise. But together these books are the best.

KonfectionKonnection Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:51pm
post #9 of 25

Oooh--Tiptop--I'm jealous. You have all the best books! thumbs_up.gif
(I guess I'm going to have to figure out how e-bay works afterall . . . .)

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:28am
post #10 of 25

I have been watching the lambeth books for quite awhile now as it is the next i want to add to my collection. In the last 3 weeks I have seen some sell from $35 up to $190. Though as mentioned above they are different printings. I have seen some first printings listed for $500+.

I also have the 3 wilton encyclopedia's and love them. I have all the patterns. Vol. 1 and 3 are photo copies and Vol. 2 are originals. If anyone is buying these on ebay make sure you ask what color the printing on the paper is. The actual text is colored to match the color of the encyclopedia, so if someone tells you the text is black then it is a photo copy... just don't want anyone paying top dollar for photo copies.

tiptop57 Posted 24 May 2008 , 4:02am
post #11 of 25

Oh thank you Leily I have been looking for a pattern book for over a year........I will keep that in mind when I do manage to come across one!

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 24 May 2008 , 6:04am
post #12 of 25

The Lambeth Book is so fantastic. It's my bible! The things you can learn there is not found in any other book - so if you mean biz, buy it. It's so well worth it. Also for the recipes. I have the 1st edition, and I paid $200 on eBay.

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 24 May 2008 , 1:46pm
post #13 of 25

If the Lambeth originals are that rare...is it possible a re-print company might offer them with public support? I'm thinking of a company like Dover. If something has been published over 75 years ago (with no copyright renewal) it becomes in the public domain under US copyright law.

But I'm guessing the Lambeth books are British?

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 24 May 2008 , 5:28pm
post #14 of 25

i have a 2nd edition printing dated 1950, which i got off ebay several years ago for $56. boy was i lucky.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 May 2008 , 6:09pm
post #15 of 25

Does anyone have a name for these Lambeth books, or is he just the author?

KonfectionKonnection Posted 24 May 2008 , 6:44pm
post #16 of 25

I believe the full title is: The Lambeth Method of Cake Decorating and Practical Pastries, by Joseph Lambeth. HTH!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:52pm
post #17 of 25

i guess you have to go to ebay and bid on any that come available. thumbs_up.gif

dream Posted 25 May 2008 , 7:31pm
post #18 of 25

Thanks everyone! I had forgot to watch this post. ahahaha I am still in the "newbie" stage so I guess I have time to perfect my "regular" icing methods before I step up to "Lambeth". I will still keep my eye out for any outrageous deals and thanks for the tips about the photocopies and the clearer illustrations.

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 May 2008 , 1:18pm
post #19 of 25

I've found these books on both Ebay and Amazon -- the Ebay venders want $250 and up for them! icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif But the Amazon venders want $100 and up for them. Sheesh! icon_rolleyes.gif

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 26 May 2008 , 1:29pm
post #20 of 25

So who knows how to do it, and when will the tutorial come out? LOL
Toba touched on it a little in a class, but not enough for my brain to gather.

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 May 2008 , 1:34pm
post #21 of 25

The International School of S*u*g*a*r*c*r*a*f*t* book series has some Lambeth style stuff, as do the old Wilton Encyclopedias. Marsha Winbeckler is writing a book on fancy borders loosely based on the Lambeth style as well. Basically it's piping, overpiping and more overpiping.

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 26 May 2008 , 1:51pm
post #22 of 25

I make Lambeth almost exclusively and I have a tutorial on my website, if anyone is interested.

I think you you wanted to reprint the book, it should be an updated version with actual instructions. The book is written for proffessionals and have very little real instructions - just guidelines. Could turn less experienced people away.

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:55pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gefion

I make Lambeth almost exclusively and I have a tutorial on my website, if anyone is interested.

I think you you wanted to reprint the book, it should be an updated version with actual instructions. The book is written for proffessionals and have very little real instructions - just guidelines. Could turn less experienced people away.

Gefion, your gallery is amazing!! You do beautiful work!! icon_biggrin.gif

LovetoShare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovetoShare Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 2:48am
post #24 of 25

I am very familiar with the Lambeth Pastry books and other cake decorating books.  I doubt that you would find one for less than $100.  It is very difficult to find one less than even $200.  The Lambeth books have gone up in price over the past five years or more.  I have several Lambeth books printed in different years and I see no difference in the quality of print.  If there is, there has to be slight.  The book year of print runs between $500 and $700 dollars.  They are usually rare, hard to find and expensive.  If you do find one for sale, I suggest you not purchase the book unless it is in very good condition or super cheap if less in quality because the books I have found to purchase are in excellent condition, so it is possible to get the books in very good condition. 

LovetoShare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovetoShare Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 2:49am
post #25 of 25

I meant the book

s first year of print is around $500 to $700 dollar from what I have seen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%