Icing A 3D Cake

Decorating By danijus Updated 24 May 2008 , 4:42pm by TooMuchCake

danijus  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danijus Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 5

OK extreme newbie here just wondering how get a smooth finish on a sculpted cake. I've seen some in the gallery and they are so smooth and shiny. I think one decorator said she sprays the cakes with hot water and karo syrup. Anybody ever heard of this?

4 replies
 Lesia  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lesia Posted 24 May 2008 , 1:37am
post #2 of 5

I would just use a crusting buttercream. Let it crust until it doesn't stick to your finger when lightly touched, then use a Viva paper towel (without texture) and use it with the heat of your hand to smooth the icing. Best of luck with your project!

TooMuchCake  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 24 May 2008 , 3:16am
post #3 of 5

You're talking the buttercream sculpted cakes, right? Not the fondant ones? You can hot brush the cakes or use the Viva method that Lesia mentioned.

Deanna

danijus  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danijus Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes I was talking about buttercream. One more question. What is hot brushing?

TooMuchCake  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 24 May 2008 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 5

It's like using a hot spatula, except with a fine soft brush instead. Sometimes I use a combination of the Viva and hot brushing, sometimes just the brushing, sometimes just the Viva. It depends on the look I need. You can look at my photos to see what it looks like.

Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%