Icing A 3D Cake

Decorating By danijus Updated 24 May 2008 , 4:42pm by TooMuchCake

danijus Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 5

OK extreme newbie here just wondering how get a smooth finish on a sculpted cake. I've seen some in the gallery and they are so smooth and shiny. I think one decorator said she sprays the cakes with hot water and karo syrup. Anybody ever heard of this?

4 replies
Lesia Posted 24 May 2008 , 1:37am
post #2 of 5

I would just use a crusting buttercream. Let it crust until it doesn't stick to your finger when lightly touched, then use a Viva paper towel (without texture) and use it with the heat of your hand to smooth the icing. Best of luck with your project!

TooMuchCake Posted 24 May 2008 , 3:16am
post #3 of 5

You're talking the buttercream sculpted cakes, right? Not the fondant ones? You can hot brush the cakes or use the Viva method that Lesia mentioned.

Deanna

danijus Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes I was talking about buttercream. One more question. What is hot brushing?

TooMuchCake Posted 24 May 2008 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 5

It's like using a hot spatula, except with a fine soft brush instead. Sometimes I use a combination of the Viva and hot brushing, sometimes just the brushing, sometimes just the Viva. It depends on the look I need. You can look at my photos to see what it looks like.

Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%