No Check, Wedding June 7Th...

Business By alicegop Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 9:25pm by alicegop

Crazy-4-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-4-Cakes Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:49pm
post #61 of 70

I agree with the plywood suggestions. Don't leave your cake stand unless the BMIL plans to stay there and promise to take it with her or pay for it if it's not returned.

I also suggest that since you got a check, if you haven't done anything with it yet, I would take it to HER bank and CASH it. That way if it does bounce you wont be affected!

Good luck and Happy Baking!

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:02pm
post #62 of 70

Use the plywood base for the cake, your stands would never get back to you without a lot of running after these people and questioning your BMIL
I know you're on good terms with your BMIL and you are really extending yourself as a favor to her; don't add to the stress by needing to get equipment back after the event

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 29 May 2008 , 9:18pm
post #63 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetConfectionsChef

This is absolutely a ridiculous situation! Her payment was due weeks ago and you're still acting like she is a customer! She broke her end of the deal when you weren't paid by the specified date...she's not a customer and she actually never was. I'm sorry but I wouldn't make ANYONE a cake and hope that I get paid... that is just insane! I don't know anyone who conducts business this way...atleast not anyone who wants to succeed and not get taken advantage of! If the wedding planner is a friend/family why in the heck would they expect you to do a wedding cake for FREE? Do you think the planner is working for free? Or hoping that she gets paid? Give me a break.

Two words: Rock On

I couldnt agree more, show up and hope they like it/pay you...that would be like showing up hotel on a Saturday night with a cake and hoping that whatever wedding might be going on there would pay you for it. I agree this is not a customer, just someone who contacted you for information long ago.

~Alicia

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 29 May 2008 , 9:53pm
post #64 of 70

Wow, I really cant believe people. But yes, their out there unfortunately. And you know after all is said and done she is still going to say bad things. I definetly would not leave any stand with her without a deposit check as well and if she cant get that to you, then still to plywood something you dont care about getting back or not.
These people I consider low lifes. They want everything for nothing and dont care about anybody's feelings but their own. You really should of cut your losses at the begining and told them you were already booked because she took too long for the deposit. And if the wedding planner is any kind of friend, then she would understand that your in business to make money and not to do things for free. And i wouldnt put it past the bride that she thought by doing all this, that they were going to stick you with the bill in the first place.
Next time consider this to be a red light saying Back Away From the Job! You will feel better and keep your sanity.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:41am
post #65 of 70

I know I will probably get someone mad.. but please don't use ceramic tile... some of those tiles have rough sides or bottoms... if the client goes to lay that on a table and it some how cuts through the protective covering that you have put on it and scratches maybe a nice table or even worse someone .. it might get even uglier...

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:21am
post #66 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

I know I will probably get someone mad.. but please don't use ceramic tile... some of those tiles have rough sides or bottoms... if the client goes to lay that on a table and it some how cuts through the protective covering that you have put on it and scratches maybe a nice table or even worse someone .. it might get even uglier...

I agree. They are sort of fragile. If they aren't supported, and laying flat. There is a good chance they could crack. I have a few of them LOLOL. Plus there could be a coating on them also.

Mike

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 31 May 2008 , 11:36am
post #67 of 70

I agree about the tile,
I wouldn't do it.
Definitely go with the plywood and sand down the edges

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:51pm
post #68 of 70

When I mentioned the ceramic tile, I did not mention placing felt pads on the bottom corners. This prevents any damage to the table. You can find the felt pads at home depot or lowes. They go under your sofa or chairs to prevent them from scratch floors.

The sides of the tile do often need sanding, just as the plywood does to make them smooth.

You do not have to worry about any coating on the tile. They are manufactored food safe as the tiles are often used as counters in kitchens.

Tiles that are large enough to hold a wedding cake are very thick. I have delivered over 100 cakes on tiles, I have never had one break or crack.

The tiles ar a great alternative to plywood. They are inexpensive and reliable and save the deposit headache. I buy them in bulk when they are on sale. I can get an 18 in sq for a dollar. After I cover the tile and place the felt pads, I have spent less than $2, so I don't have to worry if I ever see the tile again.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 5:55pm
post #69 of 70

I love the tile idea! Having just spent over $600 on drums and shipping...I'll try anything!

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 9:25pm
post #70 of 70

So it all worked out! BMIL got the check for the cake stand and she said it was beautiful and tasted good. If you want to see my cool new cake stand I bought on ebay I put a link to the cake.

Didn't hear from the bride... didn't expect to. I didn't make what she wanted.... although I don't think she knew what she wanted. She was suppose to get me the ribbon in advance and bring it by my school, but no surprise she didn't even ask the wedding planner for it! So she got what I wanted to do that wouldn't get in the way of the ribbon. At least I like it!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1230979

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%