Got A Pretty Cool Offer For My Services :)

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 24 May 2008 , 3:08am by diane

wgoat5 Posted 23 May 2008 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 22

How bout this one guys...

Laminated wood flooring for my living room for a wedding cake for 300 and 100 cupcakes icon_biggrin.gif

Thinking I'm gonna suck up and say YES YES YES icon_smile.gif

21 replies
cakesbycathy Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 22

Are you just getting the flooring or does that include installation?

wgoat5 Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 22

Installation.. the only catch is the wedding is in Sept. and the installation would be Oct.

Which doesn't bother me because there would be a contract. But.. whatayathinkaboutit? LOL

playingwithsugar Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 22

How many square feet are we talking about?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

spidy-man Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 22

I have to say that I think cash in the hand is better than a future promise. I guess it depends on how well you know them. If it was for a family member or really good friend I would probably do it, but otherwise not.

chutzpah Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 22

I wouldn't want laminate. Have them install a solid hardwood instead!

heycupcake Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 22

awe! I say go for it! Congrats! I'd looove an offer like that!

Good for you thumbs_up.gif

christinapp Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 22

Do a little research. Find out what it would cost you if you were doing the floors yourself, (same type of flooring, supplier, instalation ect) verses what you would get paid for this cake in cash as normal. Then make a decsion.
If you're going for the deal, get it in writing, and pick the floors yourself. They are different qualities.

mkolmar Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:42pm
post #9 of 22

Shoot, I'd jump on it, just make sure to have a binding contract. (Have you seen this guy's work before?)

wgoat5 Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:48pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

How many square feet are we talking about?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Theresa I'd have to tell you that when DH gets home... It was going to run us almost 1500.00 from Lowes though just for the living room .. I do cakes for their family a lot and my DH has known them forever... But DH is the one that knows the sq. footage and who they have talked to. They just threw it out there.. I think it's a great offer.. and I am really not afraid of getting the services out of them.. they redid 2000 square ft. of hardwood flooring for my mom and layed 800 sq. feet of new for her icon_smile.gif

I do LOVE laminate wood floor.. it's way more durable when you have 3 rugrats icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:52pm
post #11 of 22

Then go for it, by all means!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

CambriasCakes Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:52pm
post #12 of 22

That's awesome! We had laminate flooring installed 3 years ago and we LOVE it! We have 2 kids and a dog....easy to clean and maintain while not having to worry about scratches and refinishing real hardwood. Good for you!

wgoat5 Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:55pm
post #13 of 22

SO ya think I should go for it? icon_smile.gif

I think so... YEAHHHH ..

see we were just about to lay laminate floor completely through our living room/kitchen and bathrooms.. NOW we will just have to pay Mr. D for the kitchen and bathroom WOO HOO .. well DH hasn't gotten home yet to call but WOO HOOO anyways LOL

twooten173 Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:55pm
post #14 of 22

I've purchased and installed that stuff before. Trust me, take the deal!!

wgoat5 Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:58pm
post #15 of 22

I keep saying laminate floor.. its laminate WOOD floor.. which is just a wrapped wood product.. that takes wear a lot better then the real hardwood icon_smile.gif

So with 3 kids a DH and 2 dogs.... I think it is a better choice icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 May 2008 , 10:18pm
post #16 of 22

For a living room, I might go for it. For a kitchen, stay away from laminate. Did it in my last kitchen (hubby installed it) and it warped where water sat on it (leaked from a bag that someone forgot to take a small bag of frozen goods out of). Also, when the stupid cats moved their water bowl (and the other one plays in it!) the water was cleaned up, but not under the bottom of the bowl and that warped the floor also.

I promised myself never do laminate again in kitchen or bathrooms.

weirkd Posted 23 May 2008 , 10:20pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

I keep saying laminate floor.. its laminate WOOD floor.. which is just a wrapped wood product.. that takes wear a lot better then the real hardwood icon_smile.gif

I had Pergo and really didnt care for it. I had a dog and a son and it chipped and was really a pain in the ass!
We did the installation ourselves because places like Lowes and Home Depot will over charge you beyond belief! They quoted us $30,000 for a deck that we had someone else do for $6,000! They dont have people to do the work so they outsource it to a contractor which means they have to pay the contractor and make money at it as well. So if you did the laminate floor yourself, which I did do and the hardest part of it is cutting it. The rest of it is really easy.
So I really would find out how much of it you would need and then double the amount and that is what its suppose to cost you to do it. But if your room isnt huge then a wedding cake and cupcakes is a good deal and you wouldnt have to worry about the headaches of doing it yourself!

psanders76 Posted 23 May 2008 , 10:34pm
post #18 of 22

I say go for it!!!

indydebi Posted 23 May 2008 , 10:42pm
post #19 of 22

I wouldnt' care if I could get the materials for free!!! the fact that I can get someone to do the work is SO worth it to me!!

It's just like with cakes ..... I can buy all the stuff i need to make a $300 wedding cake for somewhere around $37. So the cost of the materials is so immaterial!!!

LABOR!! I want free labor!!! Whatever I had to barter for it, is SO worth it for me to NOT have to be on the floor on my hands and knees on one of my precious and few days off laying flooring!

I'm jealous of the great deal you made!!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:04am
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

I had Pergo and really didnt care for it. I had a dog and a son and it chipped and was really a pain in the ass!
We did the installation ourselves because places like Lowes and Home Depot will over charge you beyond belief! They quoted us $30,000 for a deck that we had someone else do for $6,000! They dont have people to do the work so they outsource it to a contractor which means they have to pay the contractor and make money at it as well. So if you did the laminate floor yourself, which I did do and the hardest part of it is cutting it. The rest of it is really easy.
So I really would find out how much of it you would need and then double the amount and that is what its suppose to cost you to do it. But if your room isnt huge then a wedding cake and cupcakes is a good deal and you wouldnt have to worry about the headaches of doing it yourself!

Yep, Pergo - that was the crap!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:10am
post #21 of 22

edited for duplicate post

diane Posted 24 May 2008 , 3:08am
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinapp

Do a little research. Find out what it would cost you if you were doing the floors yourself, (same type of flooring, supplier, instalation ect) verses what you would get paid for this cake in cash as normal. Then make a decsion.
If you're going for the deal, get it in writing, and pick the floors yourself. They are different qualities.

ditto...do some research first to see if you're getting a fair deal! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%