Two Quick Questions!!!!

Decorating By JaneDee Updated 23 May 2008 , 9:05pm by JaneDee

JaneDee Posted 23 May 2008 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 5

Someone please help me! I am getting so frustrated with all this.

I am trying to make a 12 x 18 cake.
I already baked the first one with two batters and as I would be guessing instead of cutting that one in half (horizontally) you just layer another one ontop after leveling them... Right? (if someone tells me that I can just cut this one I have baked in half and layer it I'd be really happy lol but I highly doubt that thats how you guys do it)

I just got back from the store for the second time and forgot two more things. I needed to get wax/parchment paper for the FBCT and I realized I got two boxes of a different type of cake!

The one I baked was yellow and the one I got is butter recipe yellow... Will they be able to tell they are two different cakes when I layer them?

Also is there something else I can use for the FBCT instead of waxed or parchment paper?

I am soo frustrated and really don't have the time or gas money to go all the way back to the store!

4 replies
vdrsolo Posted 23 May 2008 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 5

They may be different colors of yellow. To be on the safe side, torte both of them, and then alernate the it will look kinda cool and that you "meant" to do it that way!

I've always used waxed paper for a FBCT, but do you have any clean clear page protector sheets?? That should work!

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 23 May 2008 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 5

I ALWAYS use saran wrap for FBCT. Just be sure to tape it down around the edges so that it does not move. Works like a charm and the FBCT NEVER sticks!!!

Suzycakes Posted 23 May 2008 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 5

I always use three (3) batters in my 12 x 18 and I have split it and added a filling. It helps ALOT if you have the cake partially frozen when you try to torte one that large. The average heighth of my 12 x 18 cakes is at least 2 inches tall without icing or filling. So if your first cake cooked up short due to only using 2 batters -- then go ahead and bake the other 2 together -- which I really don't think you will be able to tell any difference in the 2 layers. Then just add the filling to the top of the original cake and top it with the second one.

JaneDee Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much ladies!! You are lifesavers!!
I appreciate it so much!

I'll post pictures tonight or tomorrow of the cake - as long as I have no major problems. hopefully nothing horrible happens.

Thank all of you!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%