Someone Talk Down From This Ledge I Am On...(Vent/rant)

Decorating By Emmerdoo Updated 25 May 2008 , 3:17am by Emmerdoo

Emmerdoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmerdoo Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 9

because I have a cake that is irritating me and I am about to throw it from the nearest multi-story building. I have a graduation cake that is due and I have got it baked, I have my CF decorations done, everything is done except for the fact that the bottom tier - which is square - isn't covered in fondant and I can't get the fondant to work right. I am using MMF, I have my buttercream "glue" everything is done right - except THE FONDANT WON'T STAY! I swear, I am about to lose it and pull my hair out. I pay too much having my hair dyed to pull it out. Sorry, I just needed to vent/rant. In the words of the great philosophers Whitesnake - "Here I go again on my own, going down the ONLY road I have ever known. "

Happy Caking,
Em

8 replies
lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 9

O.K. You are entitled... last week-en was my time. I dropped the wedding cake as I was moving it (fondant and monogrammed)... 4 hours before the wedding. Yes, I made another 5 tier one, but it looked like an amateur did it... I was so stressed... but you know what? I got past it! icon_cry.gif Feel free to vent; we all have times. I am glad my turn is over for a while icon_biggrin.gif

BlueRoseCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueRoseCakes Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 9

What do you mean, "won't stay"?
It's one big sheet over the entire thing right? Is it not sticking to the sides?

thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 9

That happened to me a couple of months ago, my buttercream had crusted over too much to allow the mmf to stick, I thought I was going to die! I brushed some piping gel along the bottom to help it stick but it wasn't as good as it should have been..oh well live and learn icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 9

Don't know if this will help or not, but I've heard where some people lightly (VERY LIGHTLY) mist their cakes, over the crumb coat or a regular BC coating before applying their fondant. Maybe this will help if your BC has crusted too much.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 9

Try using a water bottle and spray it a little.

Emmerdoo Posted 23 May 2008 , 8:15pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks guys, the cake is still safe, but I am going to binge on twinkies when I am finished with this cake.

BlueRose: It is one big sheet of fondant, but it doesn't want to stick to the sides and the fondant just doesn't feel right. I can't explain it, but something about it is just wrong.

Thanks ya'll, I really needed the help. You are like my own little Dr. Phil's of CC, except you all have much more hair, a better attitude and you aren't as crazy as he is. I am not as frazzled, but I am still put out. Oh, well, you live, you learn and then you down some Twinkies and Pepsi.

Happy Caking,
Em

BlueRoseCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueRoseCakes Posted 23 May 2008 , 8:27pm
post #8 of 9

If figured, but though I should check, I never assume. I would either try the misting, or lift up the side(s) that aren't sticking and slap a little extra buttercream on.
Teach that cake who's boss!

Emmerdoo Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:17am
post #9 of 9

Thank you guys so much. I will raise a Twinkie Toast in honor of all of you who sent some great advice my ways. You guys are absolutely awesome.

Thanks again
Happy Caking,
Em

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%