Someone Talk Down From This Ledge I Am On...(Vent/rant)

Decorating By Emmerdoo Updated 25 May 2008 , 3:17am by Emmerdoo

Emmerdoo Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 9

because I have a cake that is irritating me and I am about to throw it from the nearest multi-story building. I have a graduation cake that is due and I have got it baked, I have my CF decorations done, everything is done except for the fact that the bottom tier - which is square - isn't covered in fondant and I can't get the fondant to work right. I am using MMF, I have my buttercream "glue" everything is done right - except THE FONDANT WON'T STAY! I swear, I am about to lose it and pull my hair out. I pay too much having my hair dyed to pull it out. Sorry, I just needed to vent/rant. In the words of the great philosophers Whitesnake - "Here I go again on my own, going down the ONLY road I have ever known. "

Happy Caking,

8 replies
lutie Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 9

O.K. You are entitled... last week-en was my time. I dropped the wedding cake as I was moving it (fondant and monogrammed)... 4 hours before the wedding. Yes, I made another 5 tier one, but it looked like an amateur did it... I was so stressed... but you know what? I got past it! icon_cry.gif Feel free to vent; we all have times. I am glad my turn is over for a while icon_biggrin.gif

BlueRoseCakes Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 9

What do you mean, "won't stay"?
It's one big sheet over the entire thing right? Is it not sticking to the sides?

thecakebox Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 9

That happened to me a couple of months ago, my buttercream had crusted over too much to allow the mmf to stick, I thought I was going to die! I brushed some piping gel along the bottom to help it stick but it wasn't as good as it should have been..oh well live and learn icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 9

Don't know if this will help or not, but I've heard where some people lightly (VERY LIGHTLY) mist their cakes, over the crumb coat or a regular BC coating before applying their fondant. Maybe this will help if your BC has crusted too much.

julzs71 Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 9

Try using a water bottle and spray it a little.

Emmerdoo Posted 23 May 2008 , 8:15pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks guys, the cake is still safe, but I am going to binge on twinkies when I am finished with this cake.

BlueRose: It is one big sheet of fondant, but it doesn't want to stick to the sides and the fondant just doesn't feel right. I can't explain it, but something about it is just wrong.

Thanks ya'll, I really needed the help. You are like my own little Dr. Phil's of CC, except you all have much more hair, a better attitude and you aren't as crazy as he is. I am not as frazzled, but I am still put out. Oh, well, you live, you learn and then you down some Twinkies and Pepsi.

Happy Caking,

BlueRoseCakes Posted 23 May 2008 , 8:27pm
post #8 of 9

If figured, but though I should check, I never assume. I would either try the misting, or lift up the side(s) that aren't sticking and slap a little extra buttercream on.
Teach that cake who's boss!

Emmerdoo Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:17am
post #9 of 9

Thank you guys so much. I will raise a Twinkie Toast in honor of all of you who sent some great advice my ways. You guys are absolutely awesome.

Thanks again
Happy Caking,

Quote by @%username% on %date%