Help! How Do I Carve Make This Cake?

Decorating By amytracy1981 Updated 23 May 2008 , 9:29pm by amytracy1981

amytracy1981 Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,
I really want to make a cake very similar to the one below for my Dad's Birthday this weekend. Can someone help me? I need to know how to carve it. In the CC description it says that it is carved out of an 8 in square and then rice Krispies are added to the head and tail. I am not totally understanding this I am a very visual person I would love to see what the inside of this cake would look like. How do you get the curved body? Is the actual cake part just straight and the the curved part RK's? I would love to be able to use as much cake as possible so I have enough to serve everybody. It won't be a huge party just 15-20 people but I want to have enough cake.
Thanks Guys! I know you can help me! icon_lol.gif
LL

6 replies
JoAnnB Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 7

I don't do much carving, but for this one I would use a round, cut in half, stacked. I would trim the stacked layers in to a soft 'c' shape and curve the top edges.

good luck.

mindywith3boys Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 7

I made a fish cake. I did mine laying on it's side though... When I did mine, I just found a picture of the fish I wanted to make, burned it onto a cd and took it over to kinko's and had them blow it up to the size that I wanted to make. Then, I just laid the picture of the fish on top of my cake and cut it out twice, filled and layered. Then I just rounded the edges and sloped it down to a single layer at the head and tail.

HTH! ~Mindy

mindywith3boys Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 7

I made a fish cake. I did mine laying on it's side though... When I did mine, I just found a picture of the fish I wanted to make, burned it onto a cd and took it over to kinko's and had them blow it up to the size that I wanted to make. Then, I just laid the picture of the fish on top of my cake and cut it out twice, filled and layered. Then I just rounded the edges and sloped it down to a single layer at the head and tail.

HTH! ~Mindy

amytracy1981 Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks guys!
Does anyone else have any ideas? I already made the square cakes so I want to make it with the square and i would love to have it upright like in the picture beacuse I want it to look like it is blowing out the candle on the small round cake like in the picture.
Thanks for your help!

mindywith3boys Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 7

I don't know of any other way to do it other than... stack cakes roughly the size you want it to be and start carving until you get it the size that you want it. I think the reason that they added RKs is just because it wasn't big enough from the 8 in pan. I don't think you need it for any structural reason. So, if you want him bigger, start with a bigger pan if you don't feel comfortable with rice krispies. Do a crumb coat and cover with fondant and paint him how you'd like him to look. It might be a good idea to use one of the denser cake recipes here at CC.

Sorry I can't be more help. icon_sad.gif

amytracy1981 Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 7

thanks Mindy,
I used a 10 square so that should give me some more cake. I am just going to stack the cakes and then start carving and see what I come up with. icon_lol.gif
If it's not perfect thats ok I'm not getting paid for it and it's for family. They like everything I make. Even when I think they turn out crappy, they still love them. I'm not saying this will turn out crappy icon_lol.gif , I'm just saying if it does they'll still like it. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%