Flyer Opinions Please!

Business By Tellis12 Updated 24 May 2008 , 4:18pm by Cakebelle

Tellis12 Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 17

I've been working on my getting my home based business up and running. I wanted to do a simple flyer that would give some basic information out to people. I'd like your opinions on the layout and the information I've put on there. It's not meant to be extremely detailed, just to give an idea of whats possible. I don't have a website yet so that's why there's not one listed. You may need to click on the image in order to see it better. Thanks so much!

16 replies
JoAnnB Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 17

The font is very difficult to read.

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 17

I don't know if it's the font or just the way the pic is shown on here, but I can't read any of it. Sorry!

tiggy2 Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 17

Even when I made it bigger the font was difficult to read.

tonimarie Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 17

sorry I can't read it even when I click on the image.

MichelleM77 Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 17

There is a new wedding cake only shop near me and she wrote up this pamphlet filled to the brim with all of her info.... it's really, really hard to read, and it's printed on bright pink paper that makes it even harder to read. I would stick to a basic font for your important information. It's a really pretty font, just not for a flier where you expect people of all ages and vision acuities to read it. I love the butterfly design and the corner swirlies though!!! icon_smile.gif

mommicakes Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:52pm
post #7 of 17

I am going to agree with the previous posts, the font is very hard to read, it should have a clear bold font for your business name, and still a clear font for the rest. I had a hard time really reading it even zoomed in. I have had many of tries at a decent flyer and have finally gotten one that looks good. It may take a few tries till you get it right. SIMPLE is best.

peacockplace Posted 23 May 2008 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 17

I can read all of it, but what's up with the "F"s?? I had no idea what that letter was until I saw fondant. It looks more like rondant.

mbh724 Posted 23 May 2008 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 17

I can read it except for the "F" letter. Agree with previous poster - didn't know what letter it was until I recognized the word fondant. I thought it was a "Z".

Kiddiekakes Posted 23 May 2008 , 6:31pm
post #10 of 17

I have to agree with all the above posts....The font is difficult to read and the 'F' for fondant was not recognizable as such! It sort of reminds me of a fancy dessert menu in a restaraunt and not a flyer given out in the mail or door to door...It may give people the impression you are 'Too Upscale' for them and not even give you a second look!! I would go simplier..I also found the background pink a little hard.JMO icon_smile.gif

cakesbyallison Posted 23 May 2008 , 6:38pm
post #11 of 17

I like your logo and the border designs, but yes, hard to read...

I would also suggest you get a website up or some kind of photo page so people can get an idea of what you do. Make the most of your investment (printing / paper).

Also, a word of caution - are you licensed to work from your home (is it legal in your area), otherwise, you're putting your name out there to God knows who! Just be careful!

Good luck, your cakes are very pretty!

dinas27 Posted 23 May 2008 , 6:42pm
post #12 of 17

i agree with everyone else, needs a different font. Not sure how big you are making these flyers but I would also recommend a font size of at leat 14. I think your logo needs to have thicker lines, everything is the same scale and it needs a little variation because everything is the same color. I do like the border

on a side note: does anyone else think that the logo kind of looks like a cuvry female with B and B beside it (blonde and busty)? I think its nice and it also looks like a butterfly - just what first popped into my head icon_confused.gif

Tellis12 Posted 23 May 2008 , 6:44pm
post #13 of 17

Well, I will definitely be changing the font! I'm working on getting a website up but I haven't yet so I didn't list one. As for being legal, since I'm in OH and not technically in Cincinnati I'm legal as far as cottage laws go. I've checked on them all to make sure.

littlecake Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:05am
post #14 of 17

heres some more cute fonts...

i used "tuna and hot dogs on rye" font on a flyer a while back...and it looked cute and was easy to read.

i can read the above fonts...i think it is that "f" that messes it up.

JenWhitlock Posted 24 May 2008 , 3:25am
post #15 of 17

I like to use a combination of fonts.
I use the curly one for the headings and a san-serif font for the smaller and more important stuff, i.e. prices.
they are right too about the pink. I like the pink, but if you found a way to have the center lighter, the contrast on the black type might be better.

cool corners, and butterfly logo!

here's something that I'm just goofing around with -- it's a bifold.
(Vistaprint has a sale 25 free)
this is a bit busy now but you can see what I'm trying to say

MichelleM77 Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:32pm
post #16 of 17

Wow! That is a beautiful brochure! I don't think it's too busy. In fact, I think you need one more picture, at the upper left hand corner between "cake flavors" and "decorated cookies" to balance it out a bit. Just my 2 cents. icon_smile.gif

Cakebelle Posted 24 May 2008 , 4:18pm
post #17 of 17

I agree with the font not being clear enough to read. I really like your logo and the borders!
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%