Jayde Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:40pm
post #1 of

Has anyone ever used Nutella as a filling before? Maybe paired with a chocolate fudge cake? You could even add some hazelnuts for crunch. I think I will have to try this and report back.

25 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:12pm
post #2 of

I have used this, but Nutella is very thick and had a tendency to pull at the crumb of the cake.

I have also beaten it into chocolate SMBC, which gave it great flavor. This is the version I now use.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Jayde Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:20pm
post #3 of

What if you took the whole jar and melted it a bit in the microwave. Made a dam with BC, of whatever flavor, and then poured it in. Smooth, let it set up for a bit before you put the second layer on?

Do you think that would work?

mayamia Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:30pm
post #4 of

I do put mine in the microwave and it work great, and I also mix it with the buttercream it if a big hit icon_biggrin.gif

mkolmar Posted 24 May 2008 , 4:21am
post #5 of

I've whipped it until fluffy before and it worked fine. It does taste awesome mixed with BC though.

melysa Posted 24 May 2008 , 4:35am
post #6 of

there is a recipe in the whimsical bakehouse called hazelnut mousse. in essence it is heavy whipping cream (whipped) with soft nutella folded in. yum.

michellenj Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 7:15pm
post #7 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

there is a recipe in the whimsical bakehouse called hazelnut mousse. in essence it is heavy whipping cream (whipped) with soft nutella folded in. yum.

That's what I was gointo say. It is deeelish.

michellenj Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 7:15pm
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

That's what I was gointo say. It is deeelish.

chutzpah Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 7:23pm
post #9 of

It is really way too sweet for my taste.

TooMuchCake Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 9:44pm

I love Nutella straight out of the jar! My favorite way to use it in cake is to fill chocolate fudge cupcakes with it and ice them with chocolate icing. One of my son's friends loves these so much I try to have them on hand when he comes over so he can take some home with him.

Deanna

Brujalita Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 10:02pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchCake

I love Nutella straight out of the jar! My favorite way to use it in cake is to fill chocolate fudge cupcakes with it and ice them with chocolate icing. One of my son's friends loves these so much I try to have them on hand when he comes over so he can take some home with him.

Deanna

Mmmmm!! I'll have to remember this next time chocolate cupcakes appear in my kitchen! icon_razz.gif

staceyboots Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 10:05pm

i am glad that someone posted this thread. i too was wondering if i could use the Nutella as a filling secured by a buttercream dam.

i may have to experiment with the hazelnuts though...i haven't figured out if to use them in the buttercream or folded into the chocolate cake batter

Misdawn Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 10:39pm

I have used it before with dark chocolate ganache. I put it in the micrwave for about 30 seconds...just enough to get it spreadable nothing more. Then I mixed the entire tub with about a cup and a half of ganache and put in the refrigerator for about two or three hours to thicken a little. then just spread it on the top of cake like it was a normal pudding or BC filling. It was awesome! I did this with a Double Chocolate Fudge Cake.

SuHwa Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 10:49pm

I've used it to fill cupcakes before. Stuck it in the piping gun with the bismark tip and began "shooting" cupcakes. The whole class I made them for wanted seconds and the moms wanted to know what bakery they were from.

cwcopeland Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:06pm

Where do you find Nutella? Does WM carry it and if so, what aisle. I've wanted to try it.

fiddlesticks Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:12pm

Nutella?? My walmart and grocery both carry it near the peanut butter

TooMuchCake Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:19pm

Tina, WM has it with the peanut butter, on the top shelf.

Deanna

cwcopeland Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:47pm

Oh thanks! I'll get it the next time I'm at WM.

Misdawn Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:51pm

Yes Walmart has it right next to the peanut butters.

SuHwa Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:06pm

Check out the peanut butter section. It's a nut spread. I usually find it somewhere around the top shelf.

imagine76 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 12:56am

is it about the same consistancy as peanut butter? can it be used in recipes interchangeably?

SuHwa Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 2:55pm

*edited to remove double post*

SuHwa Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 2:56pm

It is much thinner than peanut butter. It's consistency is between chocolate syrup and peanut butter. There are recipes on their website for cookies made with it that are scrumptious. But my kids favorite thing to do with it is to spread it on crusty french bread or between two graham crackers for dessert.

alanahodgson Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:26am

My favorite thing to do with it is eat it with a spoon right out of the jar! I've done the nutella w/ whipping cream and it is fabulous!!!!

fiddlesticks Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:39am

Ok, Now you all are making me hungry for a jar of Nutella and some whipped buttercream ! Yummy !

Jayde Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:27pm

I am making hazelnut crunch cupcakes next weekend as part of my cupcake order. I am going to mix it with double chocolate BC instead of the melted chocolate. Its going on a swirl on the chocolate cupcake, then I am sprinkling chopped hazelnuts on top. I will let you know how they turn out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%