Other People's Pictures On Your Own Website

Business By flamingobaker Updated 24 May 2008 , 9:10pm by indydebi

flamingobaker Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 10

I have a feeling that I already know the answer to this question.... icon_confused.gif
It is acceptable to put a professional picture, say from Brides.com, and put it on your website? Someone in my area has done this. I think they are intending to show cakes that she thinks they could do (i.e. to give brides ideas). They also have pictures of things theat they have done and they are not to the same quality. They don't say anything about where the picture is from, but I saw one of them on the Brides.com site. icon_twisted.gif
They also have the demo pictures from the commercial type cakes where you put on the little plastic dohickeys. Is that acceptable.

Any comments? I also am starting my own website, I'd love to have more pictures but I only put what I have done so far.

Thanks everyone

9 replies
tcturtleshell Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 10

Nope, only show your cakes icon_smile.gif Now you could have a book of different cakes as a reference but don't put other cakes on your website unless you have permission from that decorator~ icon_smile.gif You should only show your work~ thumbs_up.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 10

You know what, I'm from the same area as you and I have a feeling that we have been to the same website. Just a feeling, but the quality of the pictures were all different, but then again, some could be from professional photographers and some her own.

peacockplace Posted 23 May 2008 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 10

That is a total no-no!!! The owner of the photos would be pretty upset if they found out. Just look at all the threads about it on CC. Some of them got pretty nasty!

Now... to totally hijack your thread......

Hi TC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where have you been? I haven't seen you around here in forever, although mostly I stay in the business forum. Hope you are doing great!

CelebrationsbyLori Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:00am
post #5 of 10

I just e-mailed a lady this week about this. She had taken some the pictures from my myspace page and added them to her own. She put on them that she hadn't done them, but didn't bother to put who had and didn't bother to ask my permission before highjacking my pics. I nicely asked her to remove them and she did saying she was sorry she "upset" me. It didn't upset me, it kinda ticked me off! Most of the pics were shaped pans that she had bought, but not made a cake in yet, but the quality of her work was noticeably different than mine, so I didn't see the point of her showing my cakes. Anyway, back on topic, just use your own work on your website, or in your books, that way your customers will know exactly what they're going to get!
Lori

tcturtleshell Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:18pm
post #6 of 10

There has been several occasions that people have stolen my pics. Thank goodness I have cake buds that knew they were mine & contacted me icon_smile.gif One lady even put one of my pics that had my name across it! We got it straightened out pretty quickly!

HI Christy!! I'm great just VERY busy with work, teaching & doing family cakes! Schools out so hopefully things will clam down! I'll shoot you an email after this weekend is over icon_smile.gif Another busy one before summer starts~ Love ya girl!! PS.... are you going to ICES convention??? That would be awesome if you were!!

bashini Posted 24 May 2008 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 10

I totaly disagree of puting other decorators photos on your own web site. when customers check your web site, they should see what you have done and they will know whether you are capable of doing their cakes or not.

I want people to see what I can do and I do my best to do the cakes to the needs of the customers.

And the other thing is that if someone else use my photos I will be really annoyed and angry. So the other person will feel the same.

So its a BIG NO!

Cakebelle Posted 24 May 2008 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 10

That's dishonest.........ain't it? I wouldn't do it! thumbsdown.gif

chutzpah Posted 24 May 2008 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 10

Not only is it dishonest, it's also theft.

indydebi Posted 24 May 2008 , 9:10pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

I totaly disagree of puting other decorators photos on your own web site. when customers check your web site, they should see what you have done and they will know whether you are capable of doing their cakes or not.

I want people to see what I can do and I do my best to do the cakes to the needs of the customers.

Kinda along these lines, my husband told me that he was telling everyone that the pics on my site "......she's made all of that food and those cakes, there are no stock photos on there!" and I told him he didn't have to do that because everyone assumed the work is my own. He said, "No they don't. A handful of people said they wondered if you had really done all of those cakes."

Well, that blew me away because I really thought it was a given that the work on your site was YOUR work.

But if someone has permission to use another photo and clearly labels it as not their work, then all bases have been covered. ("Cake created by and posted with permission from Cater It Simple")

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%