Does The Nervousness Ever Go Away?

Decorating By DanielleHester Updated 23 May 2008 , 3:45pm by tiptop57

DanielleHester Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 19

For those of you who have been doing cakes for a while, does the nervousness ever go away? Everytime I do a cake I get so worried that it's not gonna come out of the pan. Most of the time they do come out with no problem, but last night I was baking a 13x9 cake and a little piece of the bottom came off. I think I can still use it and I pray that the cake will still look good. My mom was asking me the other day if this was something that I really liked to do. I said yes. The only part that I don't like is the nervous feeling that you get. So does it ever go away? And Can yall give me some tips about how to get your cake to come out of the pan perfectly?

Thanks,
Danielle

18 replies
Jenn2179 Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleHester

For those of you who have been doing cakes for a while, does the nervousness ever go away? Everytime I do a cake I get so worried that it's not gonna come out of the pan. Most of the time they do come out with no problem, but last night I was baking a 13x9 cake and a little piece of the bottom came off. I think I can still use it and I pray that the cake will still look good. My mom was asking me the other day if this was something that I really liked to do. I said yes. The only part that I don't like is the nervous feeling that you get. So does it ever go away? And Can yall give me some tips about how to get your cake to come out of the pan perfectly?

Thanks,
Danielle

I use parchment paper for my larger cakes. This way they never stick to the pan. I think delivering my wedding cakes is the most verve racking of all.

danijus Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 19

Do you just line the bottom with parchment or sides too?

jenbenjr Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 19

I have only been doing this for a little over a year now and the only part I get nervous with anymore is transporting. I never have a problem with cakes sticking since I started making my own pan grease. Equal parts oil, shortening, and flour. Brush it on the pan with a pastry brush. Works awesome and the cakes come right out. I never have to line my pans. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

torysgirl87 Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 19

I'm the same as you, always nervous, and worried about something going wrong, esp. on wedding cakes. I've been doing cakes for a bit over a year now and I absolutely love it, but my cakes are never as good as I want them to be or even as good as I think I can make them. I b/c of this think I'll probably always be nervous to some extent.

I always spray pans generously w/ nonstick spray w/ flour and always take the cakes out of the pan to cool at between 12-15 minutes. I read I think in a Wilton class book that before 10 minutes the cake is still to hot to remove and after 20 minutes, the cake begins to 'glue' itself to the pan from the butter.

tiptop57 Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 19

Use cooking spray with flour and parchment paper. Best investment for a worry free cake.

BakingGirl Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:58pm
post #7 of 19

I don't really worry about the baking part itself, although I have had a fair few that has not come out well. What I do worry about is how the final design will come out. I usually go through a cycle of being really excited and inspired, then totally fed up and despondent, then finally pleased and happy with the result and the fact that it is done.

Jenn2179 Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by danijus

Do you just line the bottom with parchment or sides too?

Just the bottom. I use the baker's joy to spray the sides.

ncbert Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:04pm
post #9 of 19

I just started using homemade pan release and love it, as it's not so messy as doing the shortening/flour method. I always had a mess!
Although sometimes when I get nervous I do use parchement on the bottom.

Nanc

robinleah Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:09pm
post #10 of 19

from the time i start baking to when I am finished, I am always nervous about it turning out right or people not liking it. for me it an insecurity, as I have not been doing this very long. I hope it goes away.

DanielleHester Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:13pm
post #11 of 19

ncbert

What is homemade pan release?

Thanks guys for all the tips.

Danielle

Pama2d Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:18pm
post #12 of 19

I am always nervous to a point... however, since I started using the homemade cake release, the nervousness has subsided a bit when it comes to removing my cakes from the pans - delivering the cakes is another story though, I'm always nervous doing that. I used to use the Wilton Pan Release and the parchment paper which worked, but it was so pricey and it felt so wasteful just throwing away the parchment paper after it's used. There is just something about the homemade pan release that just works wonders... give it a try!

SweetStuff30 Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:22pm
post #13 of 19

im making a wedding cake for my friends.. i just started yesterday... one of my 12'' cakes was BURNT!! ahh so i had to make another one (Glad i started early) Then when it came out of the over theres a crack down the middle!!! I dont have time to make another one.... im praying it will work out...... oh and im TOTALLY freaking out about having to deliver this darn cake!!!! thats the WORST! I think its worst cuz i know everyone whos gonna be there and they keep coming up to me and saying "ohh i cant WAIT to see the cake!!!" That makes it 100 times more stressful!! ahhaha (this is my first 3 tiered cake too)

Pama2d Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:28pm
post #14 of 19

Homemade Cake Release is equal parts flour, vegetable oil, and shortening. I usually make a big batch and store it in a container... 2 cups flour, 2 cups oil, 2 cups shortening. Mix together & there you go!! It's wonderful stuff... I've never had it fail me yet... even with large cakes.

projectqueen Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:36pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pama2d

Homemade Cake Release is equal parts flour, vegetable oil, and shortening. I usually make a big batch and store it in a container... 2 cups flour, 2 cups oil, 2 cups shortening. Mix together & there you go!! It's wonderful stuff... I've never had it fail me yet... even with large cakes.

I'd like to try this. By shortening do you mean Crisco?

How do you mix this? Just put it in the KA or stir with a spoon? Sounds messy but it if works, I'll try it.

Pama2d Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:41pm
post #16 of 19

Yes, shortening is Crisco or any other brand - I use a different brand that I buy at Strack's since they changed the Crisco. I just mix it with a whisk till it's all incorporated & smooth. I re-stir it before I use it each time... but it stays well stored in a container.

tiptop57 Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:45pm
post #17 of 19

A bit of history:

Well to tell you all the truth shortening is not Crisco. Crisco was a by-product of the candle making and soap industry using cottonseed. The market was over crowded with vendors for these items after the civil war. And since hydrogenated cottonseed oil resembled lard, William Proctor and his BIL James Gamble decided to sell it as a food! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif The challenge for Crisco was to convince the stay-at-home housewife about the merits of this imitation food. So they published a cookbook and henceforth it has dominated the market.

Consumer marketing at its finest.

So this is why I do not buy it. icon_cool.gif

Edited to add: Shortening is butter, fat or lard.

DanielleHester Posted 23 May 2008 , 3:25pm
post #18 of 19

So tiptop57:

Is it not really edible? Cause it doesn't seem like it should be.

tiptop57 Posted 23 May 2008 , 3:45pm
post #19 of 19

Yes, I am bad. After reading Crisco's history I have often wondered about it being a food product and just quit buying it as I know I wouldn't eat soap or candles. LOL. I am just not sure what it is although nothing is wrong with cottonseed.......then I guess I have a double standard for myself, cause I do buy the spray shortening and flour. icon_eek.gif What's with that???????

I need help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%