Help With Page 35 American Cake Mag.

Decorating By tirby Updated 28 May 2008 , 7:36pm by tirby

tirby Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 7

Ok for thoes who get the magazine...
I was asked to make a cake that will have flowers standing upright like the ones in April/May 2008 Magazine on page 35. HOW DO THEY GET THEM TO STAY UP?

Oh by the way The cake is DUE TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks everyone!!

6 replies
ibmoser Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 7

Ummm, don't know for sure, but I would guess that there are wires inside the fondant or gumpaste stems to offer support.

tirby Posted 23 May 2008 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 7

I have the flowers and the stems are stiff, They just come that way. But just standing them up doesn't seem to me that they would stay put. Maybe they are hot glued together then some way attatched to the cake from the ack? My cake is buttercream they have fondant. They might have used roval on the base cake to secure? What might I be able to do? I will try to attatch a picture. Hope its ok. I am not and DID NOT make this cake. Just so we are clear I take no credit for the BEAUTIFUL work of art. But it will be similar.
LL

Homemade-Goodies Posted 23 May 2008 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 7

Are they real flowers? Either real or gumpaste, maybe come up with a complementary vase from gm and glue to front of cake plate?

If gm flowers, couldn't a line of RI be placed along back of stems to attach to whatever is behind them, cake or another flower?

Just ideas...hope something works for ya!!!

smoore Posted 23 May 2008 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 7

I think I'd wire all of the flowers together right under the flower head on the lowest flower (where all stems are straight. A little wire twisted under each flower head could then be stuck into the cake where you want it to be. I'd try to work as much with the natural bend of the flower stem, though, so there wouldn't be any pulling.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 May 2008 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 7

To me it looks like they used a thick wire and taped it to the flower stem using floral tape. That would keep the flower from flopping over. It also looks as if the stems were put through the three layers of cake boards (foam board?). Just MHO.

tirby Posted 28 May 2008 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 7

just wanted to tell you I posted the picture!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%