Red Velvet Cake

Decorating By alaskagirl3 Updated 28 May 2008 , 11:51pm by KKC

alaskagirl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alaskagirl3 Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 8

I'm looking for a really amazing Red Velvet Cake receipe - any recommendations? I've tried a few online but they end up either bland or oily tasting. Looking for more of an authentic southern one to impress some out of town guests.

7 replies
Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 8

There are a couple good red velvet cakes in the recipes section. Just open the search and look up 'red velvet'. I am sure that you can find a good one!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 23 May 2008 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 8

I always use the Waldorf-Astoria Red Velvet recipe and it turns out really good! It's on Recipezaar.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 May 2008 , 3:07am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by amia1024

I always use the Waldorf-Astoria Red Velvet recipe and it turns out really good! It's on Recipezaar.

Same here, and only with Mary-Kay icing (cooked frosting) I have eaten it with cream cheese, but it's just not the same.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 24 May 2008 , 3:16am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Quote:
Originally Posted by amia1024

Same here, and only with Mary-Kay icing (cooked frosting) I have eaten it with cream cheese, but it's just not the same.

I agree 100%. In the south, it is NOT red velvet cake without that special cooked icing! Mmm, I have some leftover in my fridge right now and I eat it with cookies!

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 24 May 2008 , 3:25am
post #6 of 8

i use the recipe from the cupcake throwdown with bobby flay from the food network site and it is really moist and yummy. i have yet to try to cooked icing i just use cream cheese icing

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:25pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxxy_luvs_duff

i use the recipe from the cupcake throwdown with bobby flay from the food network site and it is really moist and yummy. i have yet to try to cooked icing i just use cream cheese icing

I second this post. I've made this recipe (from foodnetwork throwdown) three times and am very impressed w/ the end results for taste, texture and looks.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 28 May 2008 , 11:51pm
post #8 of 8

There is a recipe in Cake Mix Doctor:

1pkg German Chocolate cake mix with pudding
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup veggie oil
1 bottle (1 oz) red food coloring
3 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla

Mix all together and u'll have the perfect Quick Red Velvet Cake. I make it all the time and no one knows that it is from a box.

I don't know about a cooked icing but from where I'm from if ur red velvet cake doesn't have the cream cheese frosting then it can't be called a true red velvet cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%