Black Candy Melts?

Decorating By jlo6024 Updated 23 May 2008 , 6:09pm by projectqueen

jlo6024 Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:17am
post #1 of 12

I don't think candy melts come in black........can you add coloring to them???? Seems like a no-brainer, but I know chocolate does strange things when things are added!

11 replies
Beckalita Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:27am
post #2 of 12

Yes, you can - just make sure its an oil-based candy coloring.

jlo6024 Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:28am
post #3 of 12

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, okay, thanks!

vickymacd Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:32am
post #4 of 12

I bought my black candy melts at Halloween time made by Wilton.

I may be wrong, but I thought I read to put blue in black for a deeper black. BUT I MAY BE WRONG.

ssunshine564 Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:40am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckalita

Yes, you can - just make sure its an oil-based candy coloring.

I agree with Beckalita. If you put anything else in your chocolate it will seize up. Always use oil-based candy coloring if you need to color chocolate.

leah_s Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:32pm
post #6 of 12

Or powder coloring. I love that stuff!

Sarsi Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 12

I buy the tubes of ready to use black candy melt stuff. It uses so much black coloring, its hardly worth it, plus all the trouble... It is soooo much easier!! Depending on what you're wanting to use it for..

Jayde Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 12

I just made my first CT, and I started with the dark chocolate melts. I added and added and added until my chocolate eventually siezed. After my frustration, and I have to admit, a mini-temper tantrum. I added a little bit of shortening and stirred until it was smooth again, and it worked wonderfully! Perfect black, perfect consistancy.

CakeDiva73 Posted 23 May 2008 , 3:10pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Or powder coloring. I love that stuff!

How do you use this stuff? I bought a multi pack by Kountry Kitchen (or something like that) and every time I tried to use it, it was grainy. The buttercream had specks in it and when I used it for candy melts, they did too....Is there some secret or trick to using these?

I even tried to use them as a luster dust to brush on color but they didn't work as that either! icon_sad.gif

jlo6024 Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:59pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks for all your help! I haven't been able to find black candy melts anywhere, but I'll keep trying. The squeeze tube will probably work well for what I need it for too. Thanks!!

projectqueen Posted 23 May 2008 , 6:09pm
post #12 of 12

If I just need a small amount, I will use my regular Americolor black and add a pea-sized dollop of Crisco, melt in the microwave and stir. It really helps with the seizing.

I have even used this method to color the white melts black. I never tried it with a large amount, though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%