fair67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fair67 Posted 23 May 2008 , 8:54am
post #1 of 11

can someone tellme how to make these?

10 replies
Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:14am
post #2 of 11

Joy of Baking has article and recipe: http://www.joyofbaking.com/Millionaire'sShorbreadBars.html

HTH

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:31am
post #3 of 11

Yup - I used to make them to sell through another (savoury) baker - I had the local neighbourhood addicted! I'm sorry, but being European, I use weight rather than measurements (hope you have some scales?!). No offence to the above post, but mine are better and more traditional than that recipe lol!

Here's my recipe (baked in a parchment lined 9x13x2in pan):

Shortbread
350g/14oz plain flour
125g/5oz granulated sugar
50g/2oz ground rice or semolina
250g/10oz butter
Pinch salt

Blitz all of the above together in a food processor until it starts coming together as a dough. Tip out into your pan and press into all the corners to create a flat sheet of dough. Prick all over with a fork and bake at 375F for about 15-20 mins or until golden. Remove from the oven and cool. Meanwhile, make the filling below.

Filling
175g/7oz butter
175g/7oz light brown sugar
4 tbsp golden syrup
400g/14oz tin sweetened condensed milk

Put all of the above in a bowl and microwave whisking at 1 min intervals until thick golden and fudgey in consistancy (in my rubbish 600w microwave it takes about 7 minutes altogether). You can also do this in a saucepan, bring the ingredients to the boil and boil the mixture for 5 mins stirring continually. I prefer the microwave because the saucepan method can catch and burn the caramel - not nice! Pour the caramel over the shortbread base and smooth to cover all areas. Allow to cool for 15 mins.

Topping:
250g/10oz bittersweet chocolate
25g/1oz butter

Melt the above in the microwave or a double boiler. Pour over the caramel and smooth to cover.

Allow the shortbread to cool completely (I suggest overnight at room temp if it's not too hot!). Tip out of the pan, remove the parchment and cut into desired sized pieces.

Enjoy!

Homemade-Goodies Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:54am
post #4 of 11

Hey, I'm SOOOO offended, hahaha!

Nah...actual experience is better than Googling anyday!! LOL

I'm gonna give your recipe a tryout, seems kind of like a "Turtle Cake", without the pecans.

fair67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fair67 Posted 24 May 2008 , 1:50am
post #5 of 11

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I saw a photo and thought they would taste great!

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 24 May 2008 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 11

So, would you please excuse my cosmopolitan ignorance, and tell me what is "golden syrup"? Is it what we know as Karo syrup or something else? I am thanking you in advance for educating me on the vernacular term in your recipe. I tried looking it up in my "foreign phrases and words" section of my dictionary, but alas, it was not there.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 24 May 2008 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 11

Golden syrup is not Karo syrup. It's a very specific thing, very British! You may know it as treacle?!

lutie Posted 24 May 2008 , 4:46pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks so much! I looked up the word "treacle" and found that it is synonymous with molasses, if it were "dark". Here in the South, we have a light, golden molasses commonly known as "sorghum". It is not as dark, nor is it strong like molasses has a tendency to be. In fact, if molasses is laced with "blackstrap", we tend to shy away from it. It is way too strong for the majority of the people.

Homemade-Goodies Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 11

A US replacement would better be corn syrup or cane syrup than molasses. I use Karo syrup, just because it's in my cupboard...but I'm aware that it is not the same. Luckily I can find Golden Syrup here in Holland, so maybe I should get authentic one of these days! icon_wink.gif

I found these articles Googling: http://www.restaurantwidow.com/2006/10/just_what_is_go.html

http://www.google.nl/search?q=golden+syrup+replacement&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:nlicon_surprised.giffficial&client=firefox-a

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 11

You can find Golden Syrup in the states. I think it is by Lyles?? Anyway, I bought some at a local Fresh Market for a recipe. It tastes nothing like Karo syrup or molasses. It is yummy but has a unique taste.

lutie Posted 24 May 2008 , 10:13pm
post #11 of 11

Is it anything similar to sorghum?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%