Yearning For Zion Kids Going Home

Lounge By SaraO Updated 23 May 2008 , 4:11pm by veejaytx

SaraO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraO Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:26am
post #1 of 5

The Texas court ruled that the 400 FLDS children should not have been removed from their homes in the polygamist community of Yearning For Zion because there was no evidence of immediate danger. So now it looks like the kids are going to be going home soon. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone else been following this story? Did you see the women on CNN? What do you think of this?

4 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:56am
post #2 of 5

Frankly, I'm a Texan, living in Texas, and it makes me sick that the courts have made this decision.

IMHO Mothers who bring up their daughters knowing they will be "given" in marriage at an early, early age, to older men or otherwise, do not deserve to have those children.

ResaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ResaB Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 5

I do not agree with the courts decision, but unfortunately the law on the books in the state of Texas states that girls can get married as young as 14 with parental consent icon_sad.gif . So there probably is not a whole lot the courts can do with that law in place icon_sad.gif .

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 5

I think sending them back will only encourage the behaviour that went on. Its a damn shame.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 5

I definitely agree, famousamos!

I also think there is a major difference between 14 year olds being allowed to marry with parental consent and these girls being told they will marry whether they want to be or not. To me these women (the mothers) are essentially being brainwashed, and become slaves, and then allow the same thing to continue with their daughters.

There is also evidence that some of the boys have been mistreated, and lots of the kids had old injuries that are questionable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%