Will Satin Ice Fondant Dry Hard?

Decorating By jjmoore Updated 23 May 2008 , 12:05pm by vdrsolo

jjmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjmoore Posted 23 May 2008 , 3:36am
post #1 of 3

I am making a gift box cake with a black lid and I'm using the method I found on the website where you roll out the fondant or gumpaste and put it over the back side of the cake pan until it is dry ( usually a week or so) and then you can just place it on the cake but I bought satin ice fondant so i would not have to make black fondant, i need to know it will dry hard and how long it will take to dry?I know it will work with gumpaste but I don't know if it will dry with fondant so i really need some advice. Thanks. I greatly appreciate the advice and help. ya'll rock.

2 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:00am
post #2 of 3

I haven't tried it myself, but from experience with the black Satin Ice, I'd think it will dry if left long enough.

I'd suggest that you cover the pan with some saran wrap and perhaps dust that with cornstarch (that will help with drying out the underside a bit). If it were me, once I could remove the lid without it breaking or cracking, I'd take it off the pan, put it over a piece of foam rubber cut to size (or maybe styrofoam), and let it dry that way for the remainder of the time.

You could also knead in a bit of gum tex, tylose, cmc, or gum trag to help it dry faster--not so much as to make it an actual gum paste, though. It would still taste and cut just fine.

HTH
Rae

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:05pm
post #3 of 3

I have made loopy bows with black Satin Ice, so yes, it does dry hard. I added 1 tsp of tylose per 12 oz of fondant and the loops were completely dry in a couple of days.

After it dries hard though...you won't be able to cut through it, it will need to be removed from the cake first.

Something else to think about....when you place it on the outside of the pan to form, you are not taking into consideration the depth of the icing and fondant on the cake, your lid may be too small.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%