How To Make A Palm Tree

Decorating By Molly2 Updated 24 May 2008 , 11:49pm by Molly2

Molly2 Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:44am
post #1 of 9

I need some help can anyone tell me how to make a palm tree it will need to stand up on a 6' round Please if anyone knows how to do this would you please share

Molly

8 replies
hope22023 Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:50am
post #2 of 9

I have made palm trees out of pretzel rods and fondant. I use the wilton medium leaf cutter to cut out the frawns then cut out small sections for the jagged look. I let those dry over the flower formers (usually 2 days or so)... if Im making several I add some gumtex to the fondant. Then I use melted chocolate (green candy melts work great) to assemble the top of the tree. Make a blob of chocolate on some waxed paper and insert the frawns into the chocolate at one end. I use cotton balls to support the individuals leaves until the chocolate sets. Then add another blob to the top of the first for the second row of leaves. I add support with additional chocolate as its needed. Once its good and dry, I dip the end of the pretzel rod in the chocolate and attach the top to the pretzel (I usually cut a small portion of the pretzel off to have a flat surface). I usually hold it until the chocolate is set (if Im making several, I set up a "holder" so that they are perfect straight). Once its set, I add more chocolate for support. Whenever Im decorating the cake, I stick the pretzel into the cake and there you have it. HTH!

KathysCC Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:57am
post #3 of 9

I have made ones from royal icing. You can see them on my swimming pool cake here:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1215190

I piped 4 or 5 long leaves over a wax paper covered very small bowl. I took one set of these leaves and glued it (with icing) over the other but where the leaves were not lined up. I piped royal over a lollipop stick by pulling the stick through a fat circular tip and icing. I let that dry overnight and then did some messy royal with a spatula to look like palm tree bark. I glued the top on and stuck it in the cake (after I delivered the cake, they fall over easily). If you need more details let me know.

Molly2 Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 9

diane
It's not letting me see your idea and hope does the chocolate make this heavy, Kathy do you have pictures of your idea I am really desperate because I need to start working on this this weekend in order for it to be set for my cake I really apprecate all the ideas

Molly2

KathysCC Posted 23 May 2008 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2

diane
It's not letting me see your idea and hope does the chocolate make this heavy, Kathy do you have pictures of your idea I am really desperate because I need to start working on this this weekend in order for it to be set for my cake I really apprecate all the ideas

Molly2

Molly, I linked my cake photo in the message above or go to my photos and look at my swimming pool cake.

Someone just posted this cake today. It looks like pretzel sticks and fondant leaves held together with buttercream or royal.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1224331.html

diane Posted 24 May 2008 , 10:17pm
post #7 of 9

oh, sorry about that...wrong link.
http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/pans/palmtreeck.htm

ladyonzlake Posted 24 May 2008 , 10:49pm
post #8 of 9

I use the large pretzel sticks for the "tree". I use my large leaf cutter and cut out gumpaste and then cut the edges so that they look like palm leaves.
I use my large Wilton former to let them dry.

Then I use some green royal icing on some wax or parchment paper and add the leaves in 2 layers. Icing, leaves, icing leaves. I use tissue to hold them up while the RI dries.

To attache my pretzel to the leaves I put RI on the bottom center of the leaves and place my pretzel on it. I find something to hold the pretzel up. So it's upside down...let dry and that's it.
LL

Molly2 Posted 24 May 2008 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 9

Very nice Thank You

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%