How Hard Will Mmf Get?

Decorating By hotmamatigger Updated 7 Jun 2008 , 11:59pm by bigsisof3kids

hotmamatigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hotmamatigger Posted 22 May 2008 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 9

I just read something about MMF not getting very hard and now it has me concerned. I'm making a set of baby block cakes for a baby shower in a couple weeks. I've only used fondant once and I got the ready to use stuff so I could just play with it. Now I'm freaking out that the MMF isn't going to hold up on the sides of the blocks! Am I getting too worried about nothing? Should I do something else for the sides? I'm getting fairly good at color flow pieces, would that work?

Elizabeth

8 replies
Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:10am
post #2 of 9

Actually, MMF gets pretty hard for me. If I am going put MMF on a cake, I add a teaspoon of glycerin to the melted marshmallows to make sure that the fondant doesn't get too hard. I don't have any problem getting it to stay on the cake, either. If I am just making extra flowers or other decorations, I don't use the glycerin.

HTH!

<Starkie>

mysweetconfetions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysweetconfetions Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:23am
post #3 of 9

I used MMF to make the Care Bears for my Grand-daughters b-day cake and it got hard enough to hold it's shape quite well, plus stayed soft enough that my Grand-son eat one with no problems.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:33am
post #4 of 9

It will get hard enough to stay on. The buttercream that you put underneath it will "glue" it to the cake.

If you look in my photos, there's one that looks like a black and gold bowl with fruit...it was done with MMF, and the fairies on the sides were at least half an inch thick, and even they stayed on with no problems. I finished it two days before I needed it, and drove it across town in 90 degree weather with no air conditioning in the car, and the MMF held up just fine through the whole thing.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 23 May 2008 , 3:27am
post #5 of 9

i nuked it a couple of times and it got rock hard after working with it.

hotmamatigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hotmamatigger Posted 23 May 2008 , 6:20am
post #6 of 9

Thanks for all the support ladies! The shower is for a friend so I'm totally nervous. I was asked by the hostess to do the cake by word of mouth after just one cake and the mother-to-be chose the design and I didn't want to disappoint so I just said yes.

I don't have time to think about it or practice really since I've got so many other projects going on but I do want to give this the time and attention it deserves! AGH! Gotta stop thinking about how this is going to be pulled off!

Elizabeth

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 23 May 2008 , 6:38am
post #7 of 9

When you have to worry that it won't get hard is if you were making one of those stand up bows on the cake. I was making flowers for my Wilton 3 course. Used just MMF. ....1 week later, still not dry. It tends to dry to a certain extent, but past that...well... If you want it to dry and last for years either mix 50/50 with gumpaste or add some gumtex.

Straight MMF on the sides of the cake, you're fine.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:55pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisD13

When you have to worry that it won't get hard is if you were making one of those stand up bows on the cake. I was making flowers for my Wilton 3 course. Used just MMF. ....1 week later, still not dry. It tends to dry to a certain extent, but past that...well... If you want it to dry and last for years either mix 50/50 with gumpaste or add some gumtex.

Straight MMF on the sides of the cake, you're fine.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

I've had good luck making bows with MMF, and flowers too...flat flowers like daisies. The best way to get the bow to dry is to hang the loops over a dowel for 24 hours.

bigsisof3kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigsisof3kids Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 11:59pm
post #9 of 9

I'm with KrisD13...I tried making the fondant bow with MMF, and I let the loops dry over a (clean) broom handle for two weeks and they still weren't stiff enough. But for covering cakes, it's wonderful. A bazillion times better tasting than Wilton's fondant. Blech. Hope your cake turns out well! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%