Flawless Fondant

Decorating By sherryj Updated 23 May 2008 , 4:02am by plbennett_8

sherryj Posted 22 May 2008 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone know how to fix a flaw in fondant once you have put it on the cake? Such as a crack or fingerprint. My instructor told me that there is no way to fix it. To just cover it with a decoration.

6 replies
ericaann79 Posted 22 May 2008 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 7

Your easiest way is with a decoration. However, if you have a crack you can use royal icing to fill it in...just fill along the crack and wipe away excess. As for a fingerprint...all you should have to do is use the fondant smoother over that and it should go away...that shouldn't be a problem...

plbennett_8 Posted 22 May 2008 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 7

Hi Sherry icon_smile.gif

If you give us a little more information, maybe we can help a bit more... icon_smile.gif Sometimes you can work out some minor imperfections by gently rubbing a little shortening on the area. Just pay attention to what you are doing. Huge flaws...nope...not much you can do... Let us know.

tiptop57 Posted 22 May 2008 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 7

I use a little shortening and rub it out. If small it works well. Don't believe me, check out my cakes.

Then if there is a big crack then I pick the fondant up and re-roll it as long as the frosting underneath is not chocolate. LOL

nefgaby Posted 22 May 2008 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 7

Yep, I do RI or crisco to fill in the cracks or tiny bubbles you get. I would also recommend Sugar Shacks's "Flaless Fondant" video, it helps A LOT!!

sherryj Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:10am
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I will have to try the crisco trick if I get another crack. Yeah, I was thinking of purchasing that Flawless Fondant video.

plbennett_8 Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:02am
post #7 of 7

I recommend all of Sugarshack's (Sharon) DVD's. They have helped me immensely! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%