Smoothing Icing On A Square Wedding Cake!!!!

Decorating By Anna31 Updated 25 May 2008 , 2:41am by ANicole

Anna31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anna31 Posted 22 May 2008 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 22

I'm working on a three tiered square stacked wedding cake today. I've been working on getting the corners squared up and all the edges straight and am having a horrible time getting it all to look right! I saw the article from BKeith about how to frost a square cake. That has been very helpful except that my frosting wants to stick to the spatula. icon_cry.gif Does anyone have any helpful hints for me? I've thought about dipping the spatula in some hot water but that always makes my frosting shiny and I don't want that! The Bride doesn't want any border along the top. She just wants it plain with ribbon around the bottom. I WISH I could put a border on and hide all the unevenness! icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif Help?

Anna

21 replies
ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 22 May 2008 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 22

They are some of the hardest to get correct. Try moving the spatula away from the sides gradually instead of lifting it right off. I also to the melvira method afterwards so if you have some of the buttercream not completely smooth I wouldn't worry about it...just get the good corners.

Anna31 Posted 22 May 2008 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 22

I move the spatula away very slowly pulling it back, I don't just lift it off. I love the Melvira method and have been doing that to. My main problem is when I add frosting to an area that has already crusted, it shows. icon_cry.gif I'm afraid a hot, wet spatula may be my only option. I'm hoping that when it's all put together it will look better. I'm also going to ask the Bride if she would be upset if I added a small border around the top edges. That would help immensely! Anyway, thanks for your ideas. I have just decided I hate squares! icon_lol.gif

Anna

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 May 2008 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 22

I LUV doing square cakes!!

Here a photo step-by-step on how I do corners. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5396443-.html#5396443

Sounds like your icing may be too thick?

Put LOTS of icing on the cake, then use a bench scraper to remove the excess and smooth the sides. Then Melvira the whole thing.

For top edges, after icing the sides smooth, I take a hot (dry) spatula and gently fold the top edge onto the top of the cake. Then Melvira the top.

hotmamatigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hotmamatigger Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:12am
post #5 of 22

Okay, I have to ask...

What's the Melvira Method?

Elizabeth

Anna31 Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:54am
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmamatigger

Okay, I have to ask...

What's the Melvira Method?

Elizabeth

Go over your crusted butter cream with a dense foam paint roller. It's really slick! I use it on all my cakes. icon_smile.gif

indydebi, so what should I do? The cake won't be finished till tomorrow. Should I go over it all with a thinner consistency frosting? The frosting is already on there pretty thick! How do you get your spatula HOT with out being wet? Do you just wipe the water off? I haven't done the big bottom tier yet, will do that tomorrow. Right now I just have the two top tiers done. Anyway, thank you so much for your time ladies!

Anna

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:12am
post #7 of 22

Dip your spatula in a pan of hot water or run it under running hot water, then wipe it off with a clean towel.

For years, I just used a hot wet knife with no problems. Then, as I moved into doing colored icings (left the 70's and 80's when all wedding cakes were white icing!!!), I found that the water from the spatula would run down the side of the pink-iced cake and leave lines of discoloration. So a wet knife is not always a good idea.

It depends on your time, but a couple of times I HAVE removed the icing and started over.

Anna31 Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:20am
post #8 of 22

Okay, I am going to try the hot spatula! I peeked at your websites, I can't believe you have the time to help little old me! I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me! I really want this cake to be great! I've been decorating for only 4 years, doing weddings since January. SO I have allot to learn. Thank you Debi! icon_smile.gif

Anna

SuHwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuHwa Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:44am
post #9 of 22

This was posted earlier this week and I really liked her videos. It gave me some help in understanding the angle I was supposed to be holding my scraper at when I moved the spatula toward it.

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:46am
post #10 of 22

It won't help you for this cake, but Sugarshack's video on buttercream is awesome and she shows you how to do a square cake. Hot spatula (dip it in hot water and dry it off before using) and some Viva paper towels should help. Start at the corners and work towards the center of each side.

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:01am
post #11 of 22

Anna, I just want to say good luck and that I'm rooting for ya!

Let us see how it turned out, ok?

Indydebi - thanks for sharing those pictures. I am a lot better at squares than I used to be, but they never come out looking crisp and clean. I'm going to try this way and see if it helps!

Amber

Anna31 Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:50pm
post #12 of 22

Thanks Amber! I need all the help I can get! icon_lol.gif I will be posting the finished product in the galleries, will probably put it on this thread to. That is if it isn't so horrible I am too embarassed to post it! Actually I'm feeling better about the whole thing. I used Debi's hot spatula idea last night. It definately helped! I think once I get the ribbon on it and everything it will look good. I hope! icon_smile.gif

Anna

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:25pm
post #13 of 22

Thank you to everone that responded with help for this person. It also helped me a great deal! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Anna31 Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:00pm
post #14 of 22

It's DONE!!!! I ended up calling the Bride and asked her if I could put a small border along the top edges. She did not mind at all, in fact asked me to add swiss dots as well! I was so relieved I felt faint! icon_lol.gif I am happy with it although it is far from perfect. Wedding cakes are so much harder than they look! Hats off to all you amazing Cakers that do this all the time! I am glad I only do this once in a while. I think I'd have an ulcer! I'll post pics soon. icon_smile.gif

Thanks again for all you help Ladies!

Anna

ANicole Posted 23 May 2008 , 8:44pm
post #15 of 22

Yay! You did it!!!! I can't wait to see the picture!!!

Amber

ANicole Posted 24 May 2008 , 4:40am
post #16 of 22

Thanks to Indydebi (again) for her tutorial! This topic came in handy. I just did a bingo cake (in my pics) and the corners were my best so far!

Amber

Anna31 Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:14pm
post #17 of 22

Here it is!!! This cake was the most difficult one I've done yet. Just gave me fits. I'm happy with the end results though. Thank you all that gave me your words of wisdom! icon_smile.gif SO glad it's over!!!!!! Whew!!!!

ANicole Posted 24 May 2008 , 9:13pm
post #18 of 22

I love it. I don't see a thing wrong with it. It turned out perfect!

What's that plastic thing in front? Probably a dumb question... but I'm curious..

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 24 May 2008 , 10:30pm
post #19 of 22

What a beautiful cake! Wonderful. I love the swiss dots, and your borders are flawless. icon_smile.gif

Anna31 Posted 24 May 2008 , 10:31pm
post #20 of 22

That's the topper she gave me! It's just a 4X4 square piece of acrylic with their names engraved on it. icon_smile.gif Thanks for the compliments! icon_biggrin.gif

Anna

Anna31 Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:06am
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petit-four

What a beautiful cake! Wonderful. I love the swiss dots, and your borders are flawless. icon_smile.gif

Thanks! It 's only my third paid wedding cake and it was the most difficult. I'm pretty proud of it! icon_smile.gif Wedding cakes are definately a labor of love!!!! I hope my skills will improve as I do more of them. But for now, I did my very best and am happy. icon_biggrin.gif

Anna

ANicole Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:41am
post #22 of 22

I see now! I was looking at it wrong! I thought you put an edible image on the cake and the plastic was just a clear plastic square.. Excellent job on the cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%