What Colors Do *you* See In This Ribbon?

Decorating By dailey Updated 24 May 2008 , 5:22am by dragonflydreams

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 33

I need to make this border for a wedding cake this weekend and i'm wondering what colors i should used to achieve these 2 different "browns"? they both look kinda yellow to me...are you all seeing the same thing? anyone have any suggestions on what color gels i should used for them? thanks!

http://www.brides.com/weddingstyle/cakes/gallery/editorspick/detail/9554?

32 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 33

The bigger band looks tannish to me, but the other looks like a pukey shade of green.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 33

If you look at the close up view it looks like a ribbon of champagne color (light pinky brown) over a lime green ribbon. Very pretty cake!

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 33

The big stripe looks like golden brown to me, and the green stripe looks like avacado icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 33

I agree with Jen.. it looks like a light avocado/chartreuse green with a very light brown ribbon laid over it.

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 33

To me it looks like avocado green & a very light beige/natural color.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 33

they look like shades of yellowy brown to me.......I would say you could get the color of the wide band by using "ivory" and make it dark......it gives that sort of brownish color when you add a lot! The two thin strips (or background ribbon) looks more like "gold" to me.....americolor "gold" will give you that sort of yellowy brown color...like baby food squash or something lol

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:31pm
post #8 of 33

HAHA...light avacado IS a better descriptive word for it. I couldn't think of a different word to use, but light avacado is much better than pukey. Sorry!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:41pm
post #9 of 33

I'd have to say avacado and peachy/tan

good luck!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:45pm
post #10 of 33

The wide band looks like a latte colored brown (slightly pinkish undertones). The smaller bands look like a muted avocado. That last picture is confusing because it makes the ribbon look completely different than in the other pics.

I'm really not seeing any gold, but it could be my computer screen too. I've noticed colors look completely different on different comps.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:51pm
post #11 of 33

I agree with the avacado green but the other ribbon looks like a brownish-pink with gold undertones. Very pretty but hard to describe!

hotmamatigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hotmamatigger Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:59pm
post #12 of 33

Personally, I think the greens you all are seeing are being reflected from the leaves. I believe the ribbon is a sheer gold with a gold trim. I have a few ribbons like that and they pick up other colors from the entire room and are unbelievably hard to photograph. Just my $0.02

Elizabeth

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 22 May 2008 , 6:07pm
post #13 of 33

i think it looks like a really pale pink with maybe some copper to it???

ashley

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 22 May 2008 , 6:10pm
post #14 of 33

It is definitely made from frosting and I would agree, avacado and a tan color.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 22 May 2008 , 6:11pm
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I agree with Jen.. it looks like a light avocado/chartreuse green with a very light brown ribbon laid over it.

These are the colors I see. Chartreuse and beige/tan.

dailey Posted 22 May 2008 , 8:22pm
post #16 of 33

thanks everyone for the input! i'm so glad i asked because i never even *saw* the green in the small ribbon, i'll have to go back and zoom in on it. icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 22 May 2008 , 8:31pm
post #17 of 33

Don't forget that sometimes monitor settings can affect colors. icon_smile.gif

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:06am
post #18 of 33

I agree, this is not ribbon. It is icing, in colors of light tan with ( and you can see the spaces between the tan and the green strips, on the close up) the avocado green strips above and below the tan.

Actually, the green looks like fondant strips when you take a look at the close up.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:32am
post #19 of 33

I think it's purple with pink accents LOL nooo..just joking (everybody is seeing something different.. )

I see tan.. with a small strip of gold with a darker color behind it..

THEN I see pink with purple polka dots icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 23 May 2008 , 3:12am
post #20 of 33

i see a flesh color with a touch of brown.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 23 May 2008 , 3:31am
post #21 of 33

If you look at the close-up of the corner (last picture on the right in the thumbnails), this appears to me to be a wide, peachy-beige fondant ribbon with two small strips of identical width of light avocado fondant above and below the wide ribbon. It is stunning.

Cakenator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenator Posted 23 May 2008 , 3:34am
post #22 of 33

Wish I could help, but I'm guessing I'm the only real color blind cake decorator here!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 May 2008 , 10:04am
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

I think it's purple with pink accents LOL nooo..just joking (everybody is seeing something different.. )

I see tan.. with a small strip of gold with a darker color behind it..

THEN I see pink with purple polka dots icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Okay, Christi, admit it... you're actually looking at those pink elephants again! Now drop that moonshine!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 23 May 2008 , 10:08am
post #24 of 33

LMAO

Grace!!! Shhhhh.... don't tell anyone HICCUP

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 May 2008 , 10:16am
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

LMAO

Grace!!! Shhhhh.... don't tell anyone HICCUP

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif You are too funny, Girlfriend!

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 23 May 2008 , 10:59am
post #26 of 33

Can you have the bride/planner bring swatches for what they precisely want?

I see a pinky beige in the broader stripe, and a goldy olive for the 2 thinner stripes. I love the colors together, but find the lilies cheesy and omigosh those 'earthy' rocks.

I'm just a class-less goon, I guess....Lost my chi along the way! hahaha

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:18am
post #27 of 33

I would use ivory for the large and for the small strips on the top and bottom I would use avocado.

Without a colour swatch from your bride to match go with you have and what you see - there is nothing else you can do. In future you should always ask for colour swatches to attach to your contracts then there is no confusion.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:15pm
post #28 of 33

Personally, I think Homemade-Goodies has the best idea. After all, it doesn't have to be the exact colors that were used originally anyway. It's up to the bride and groom what colors they want to use.

dailey Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:35pm
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade-Goodies

Can you have the bride/planner bring swatches for what they precisely want?

I see a pinky beige in the broader stripe, and a goldy olive for the 2 thinner stripes. I love the colors together, but find the lilies cheesy and omigosh those 'earthy' rocks.

I'm just a class-less goon, I guess....Lost my chi along the way! hahaha

thanks again you all! this isn't an "actual" wedding, the couple are already married but are having a "wedding" at a resturant for family and friends. the *bride* stumbled across this cake on the web and loved it. luckily for me, she's not having any of these colors at her wedding so she most likely won't even remember what the fondant ribbon looks like!

and i totally agree homemade goodies! it was very hard to get motivated for this cake...

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:51pm
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmamatigger

Personally, I think the greens you all are seeing are being reflected from the leaves. I believe the ribbon is a sheer gold with a gold trim. I have a few ribbons like that and they pick up other colors from the entire room and are unbelievably hard to photograph. Just my $0.02

Elizabeth

It's 2 ribbons, isn't it? The green with the pinkish-beige-gold laid on top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%