Using Cannoli Filling

Decorating By msulli10 Updated 22 May 2008 , 7:36pm by Bellatheball

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 4

I need to make a cake with Cannoli filling for this weekend. I wanted to put the cake together a few days before. Will Cannoli filling hold up or will it seep into the cake and get runny? Anyone have a "stabilizing" recipe for Cannoli filling. I was just going to add powdered sugar, a little vanilla and maybe chocolate chips to ricotta cheese. Maybe add extra powdered sugar to make it thicker. Help!

3 replies
imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 4

I'd be careful with making a few days early. I'm no expert, but I have made it many times and my guess is it might get runny and absorb into the cake somewhat. I do make mine a day ahead so the flavors blend overnight, but haven't had it stay longer. I guess sometimes there have been a little leftover and it was fine in the fridge for another day or so. Have I helped or made you more confused??? icon_confused.gif sorry!

One thing you can do when you make the filling is let the ricotta drain in a fine mesh strainer over a bowl in the fridge overnight. This get a lot of the liquid out and then you don't have to add so much sugar to thicken it. Good luck!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks, I'll try it. I'll make the filling tonite and see how it holds up over nite in the fridge. If it's too runny, I'll make something else icon_smile.gif

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 22 May 2008 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 4

I would drain the ricotta for a good 24 hours too. It holds SO much water and would make the cake soggy. Because it's cheese, I keep my filling in teh fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%