Fresh Flower Topper - Any Florist Out There?

Decorating By panipuri Updated 22 May 2008 , 10:06pm by Petit-four

panipuri Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 5

I have a fresh flower topper for a wedding cake and the florist just told me that they stick the flower stems in one inch into the cake top.
Is this normal? I thought sticking stems into cake is a no - no!
I was thinking of carrying an oasis and plastic plate and using that rather than having them stick the stems into the cake. ( I do have a clause saying I am not responsible for pesticides etc from fresh flowers, but its still my cake!)
Should I tell them I would do the topper - to just leave the flowers there?
How are floral toppers normally done?
Thanks so much for any help, Elaine

4 replies
tiptop57 Posted 22 May 2008 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 5

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo don't let them do it! I have allergies and can tell you people can have reactions. If the bride insists it has to be fresh flowers, (which I never, ever do) then get a 3" cake board put some fondant/gumpaste on it and have the florist stick it into that.

Think of all the allergies and sensitivities out there. Who knows now-a-days where the flowers were grown AND what pesticides they had used. Did they even wash the flower????????? Remember, not all fresh flowers are considered food grade safe!

Edited to add: Even if you have a clause if the flowers were in your cake, who are they going to come to if someone has a reaction. I can guarantee it will not be the florist.

Petit-four Posted 22 May 2008 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 5

Elaine, are absolutely right. icon_biggrin.gif (I've just come back from meeting with my local florist -- they have me do all the cake flowers.)

I always do the traditional oasis, plate, tape, and wire system. The topper can be taken off without damaging the cake, and there is no risk of pesticide/toxic sap or pollen transfer. The flowers hold up beautifully during the longest of receptions, and can be taken home and kept for a week.

May I preach a bit here.....? As cake designers, if we insist on "professional" methods of doing our cakes, I would humbly suggest so should we use the professional means to arrange flowers. It seems sometimes there is this idea out there about shoving flowers into a cake (without the pics or oasis)! ....End of my preaching icon_redface.gif

I also have a very respectful and good working relationship with my local florist. (And I am legal for both baking and floral work.) They give me advice on special flower conditioning needs, and I give them advice on putting flowers on a cake. So we get along very well.

You know how to arrange flowers...but here's a link if you'd like it:

And of course, some flowers are toxic in addition to the pesticide special care is needed....

(Sorry if I sound like I am ranting --- it's not you! I am glad you don't want to do the "shove" thing.) icon_rolleyes.gif

panipuri Posted 22 May 2008 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 5

Petit four thank you so much for your reply and helpful links. Though I have done a few wedding cakes havent had too many floral toppers tand the few I have done, I always ask the florist to have it on an oasis in a plastic plate and I carry extras of both just in case. This one location I contacted to make sure, have a "design Department" to do the flowers and they push the flowers into the cake! It s a good thing I have made it a habit to check ahead of time. When I asked if they would arrange it in an oasis they politely told me they dont do that. so I guess I will do it myself. I was jsut wondering if this is a normal thing and I am glad to know it is not.
I am just surprised as it is a huge reception location!

But that you so much and you were not ranting at all. I was just hoping my reaction to them was not over reacting!
Thanks so much< Elaine

Petit-four Posted 22 May 2008 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 5

Elaine -- yes, you are 100% right. I don't know why this idea is out there about laying flowers all over cakes (without, of course, a thin plastic layer in between). Maybe it is because the magazine photos make it look so "natural" some folks forget about the work, time, and supplies it takes to "do it right" not to mention 100% food-safe. icon_rolleyes.gif

I hope you are paid for your time arranging the flowers...I am sorry the floral designer was handling it that way. icon_cry.gif

Sorry, I guess I am being a little "moody" about this whole issue, and I am so glad you did not take offense at my "preaching." thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%