How To Create A Pickle Out Of Sugar...?

Decorating By USMC_SGTs_Lady Updated 22 May 2008 , 5:30pm by diane

USMC_SGTs_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 7

Ok so I got asked yesterday to do a birthday cake for my step-brother...I asked how they want the cake to look and I was told to just come up with something....So I am going to do a hamburger cake....

I got everything figured out about how to do the cake and what I am going to use for the lettuce and ketchup and what-not...BUT...I want to do a pickle out of sugar...like melt down sugar, color it green and make a pickle out of it. I have always want to do a something made out of melted sugar...just haven't had the opportunity...so I thought this would be somewhere to start...small and simple...

So I would order a candy mold to make the pickle (not sure if i want to do a sliced pickle or like a whole pickle), BUT I'm short on time...in fact I need the cake by Sunday....so since I can't order a candy mold (FYI the only pickle candy mold i was able to find was a whole dill pickle)....how can i mold the sugar to look like a pickle....
The only thing I could come up with to use as a mold is aluminum foil...any other ideas as to what i could use that will withstand the hot temp. of the melted sugar.....

6 replies
alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 7

I know you said you wanted to do melted sugar, but what about nuking a green starburst and just making a sliced pickle shape? Just an alternative idea.

USMC_SGTs_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 7

Thats a good Idea....using a starburst...hmmm...I might consider doing that If I can't figure out how to mold the sugar...

The only reason why I wanted to do melted sugar, is so that when it hardens it is glossy and kinda see thru like a sliced pickle is....

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 7

I've never worked with sugar like that, so I don't know... but could you make the center of a sliced pickle out of the starburst (or fondant) and dip the edges in the melted sugar, in a darker green, to look like the peel of the cucumber? icon_smile.gif OR, paint the edges with piping gel to give it that shiny look?

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 7

There is a thread somewhere on here about making jewels out of melted jolly ranchers, you could do the same thing and you could use a simple round mold of even just kind of let it cool a bit and pour it slowly since a pick slice isn't necessarily perfectly round.

I am still waiting for a reason to make stuff out of melted Jolly ranchersicon_smile.gif

gracecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gracecakes Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 7

I can't wait to use melted sugar either. I think that if you can find a mini tart metal shell with the nice crimped edges and somehow spray non stick or something in it, then pour your colored melted sugar in there it will look like a round sliced sweet pickle. Then paint edges with darker food coloring or the piping gel idea stated above. I got a four pack of the tart shells at my local dollar store If not, you can try use good old fondant and if you have the crimping cutter from pampered chef you can get the crimped edges as well. If you are not worried about the crimped edges but just want to mold of a circle cut flat sweet pickle maybe you can also use the mini muffin pan and pour melted sugar into that. I know these are all small, but you can put a few on the burger. Sorry so scatterbrained. I hope it all works out.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%