My First 3D Cake

Decorating By kristykgs Updated 22 May 2008 , 4:10pm by SweetStuff30

kristykgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristykgs Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 10

Well, last weekend I was asking several questions and talking about my 1st 3d cake, which was a house. It was not done to the picture in my mind, but came out, well I guess okay, for my 1st time. I'm glad I didn't quote much, but the customers just raved and thought it was the cutest thing.

anyway, here is a picture. I told all of my friends to be gentle, but I know I don't have to say that here, because you guys and gals are so sweet anyway.
LL

9 replies
BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 10

looks great to me!! thumbs_up.gif love all the little details. good job! icon_biggrin.gif

SweetStuff30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetStuff30 Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 10

this is great I love it!! I actaully have to make a house in 2 weeks for a "mortagage is paid off" party. They sent me pics of the house and everything! How did u do the roof? Any suggestions or help on how you did this would be wonderful!! Thanks and great job!!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 10

Great Job for your first. As you practice more, you can only get better! Way to go!

kristykgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristykgs Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you all so much for your sweet words. I learned sooo much from this one little project. Things that didn't work and things that I will do differently.

Someone asked about the roof....ha/ha/ha. I can't help but laugh because this was definetly a trial and error. Here is what I did. I did not want to bake an extra cake for me to smooth to make the roof, because it was only supposed to be for about 25 and I wasn't charging that much. So, in my inexperienced mind, I rolled out my fondant and cut out the pieces to the roof and let them dry. I was going to use royal icing to glue them together and then set them on the house. WRONG!!! Might work for some, didn't for me. They dried for several days, but broke in half when I picked them up. On to option 2. I cut out cardboard in the shape that I wanted and covered it in fondant then used hot glue to glue it together then airbrushed it. Used royal icing to glue it to the house. Worked fine, but after a few hours on the cake, which is by the time I got the cake where it was supposed to be, I noticed that the cake was buckling at the bottom by the grass. Was glad everyone saw it and took pictures and cut it before it was noticed..

Next time, I will use cake to support the roof and probably cut out little squares of fondant and glue them overlapping onto the cake to make it look more like a roof. If I have to use cardboard again, I will use dowles that are tall enough to support the roof so the weight is not all on the cake.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 10

You could have also used gumpaste for the roof. Or cardstock and RI or just said that the house had it's roof blown off by the last big storm and the ins hadn't come thru yet. icon_smile.gif

SweetStuff30 Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 10

I was thinking of doing my roof in RK on cardboard then with dowls under in the cake part to support it. then cover it in fondant shingles. i dont think that would be too heavy.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 10

RKT can be surprising heavy. Perhaps if you make it thin enough, support the four corners and one or two dowels in the center depending on length.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:09pm
post #9 of 10

that looks so cute. you did a great job. i can see why the customer was so pleased. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

SweetStuff30 Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:10pm
post #10 of 10

yeah i think it would be ok, couldnt be heavier then a 6 tiered cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%