Mmf Disaster :(

Decorating By deld Updated 23 May 2008 , 1:47am by Texas_Rose

deld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deld Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 10

I made my MMF and it came out great. I stored it in the refrigerator and took it out 4 hours before use. It was hard as a rock so I stick it in the microwave for 30 seconds, still hard, so I did another 30 seconds and it was workable, but it kept falling apart, it wasnt sticky and it wasnt dry it just kept falling apart not wanting to stick together, I added shortening and worked with it for a while, but no luck, it kept falling apart and started cracking, I was just doing a practice cake but I was not able to cover my cake at all icon_sad.gif the whole thing dryed up so quickly and it was all cracked, what did I do wrong?????????? this was my first time working with mmf and now im afraid Ill mess it up again! any tips will be greatly appreciated!!!!!
D

9 replies
plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 10

I guess some do, but I don't put fondant in the fridge...

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 10

I've noticed there seem to be a lot of different recipes for MMF, and some work better than others.

I use this one http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm and it's never gone wrong yet. I use the full 1/2 cup crisco that she mentions using, and I mix and knead it in the KA...1/4 cup crisco goes on the bowl and dough hook at the beginning, and halfway through when it starts to stick, another 1/4 cup goes on the bowl and hook.

Usually my MMF will be sticky when I'm going to work with it, so I'm guessing maybe yours was too dry. You can also add a little bit of glycerine to it...Wilton sells little bottles of glycerine for $2 or you can go to the health food store and buy a 16 oz bottle for $8 or $9.

I put mine in the fridge sometimes too, so I don't think that's what went wrong.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 10

I use this one http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm [/quote]

i use the same recipe and never had any problems.
remember...when you nuke it, you're cooking it, and it will get harder. icon_wink.gif

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 22 May 2008 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 10

To be honest I have tried multiple versions of MMF...and hated them all. I have had your problem, then I tried the other one listed in the other two posts but it came out a little greasy looking, didn't like that. I have been baking my whole life, breads and sweets so I know I can follow a recipe so when I posted my frustration someone suggested that I use Toba Garretts fondant on this site...I have used this one for over a year, tastes great and works really well! Try it you will like it!

deld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deld Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:26am
post #6 of 10

thanks everyone!!! I guess I just have to test a few different ones and find the one that works for me icon_smile.gif

Ericaann do you have the recipe for Tobas fondant?

THANKS!

ctucker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctucker Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:21am
post #7 of 10

I use the same recipe and never had a problem. I could never work in the amount of icing sugar she calls for but no big deal. 60 seconds in the microwave seems crazy for me. I nuke mine out of the fridge for about 3-5 seconds and it softens it right up. Maybe you over did it. Also, make sure the fondant is in something that is sealed nice with little to no air. In the cool air, it will go hard. You can test this out by taking a small amount in a little ball and laying it straight in the fridge. In a few hours it will be very hard and will take a while to rework. I double seal mine in plastic baggies and try to force as much air out as possible.

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:30am
post #8 of 10

I remember reading somewhere on CC that if you nuke it too long you can melt the sugar in the fondant and then there is nothing you can do it fix it. I am no expert but I only put mine in the microwave for a few seconds. Often I divide it before mircrowaving it so it is easier to knead.
I don't kniow if this was your problem or not. I also found out that in my humid weather (SC) I can not cut the PS and add corn syrup to MMF as some people have.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:46am
post #9 of 10

Try Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant.. it's here in the recipe section and it is the best homemade fondant I have made and I have tried a bunch including Toba Garrett's recipe. Michele's is just as good as any commercial fondant out there.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:47am
post #10 of 10

I have to microwave mine for about two minutes, but that's because the microwave that's built in here is ancient. I have melted the fondant before by accident when I was using someone's newer microwave, but if you let it cool enough that you can touch it, it goes back to a workable consistency.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%