Saturday Deadline! Please Help! Gift Bow Question....

Decorating By torysgirl87 Updated 22 May 2008 , 2:15pm by gacandle

torysgirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torysgirl87 Posted 22 May 2008 , 11:38am
post #1 of 12

Can someone help me please...The wedding is Saturday...

How do I make a bow w/o my candy melts glue showing? I've never, ever accomplished this and acheived a symetrical bow. I've followed the tutorial here and from Wilton, but I keep failing icon_cry.gif

Thanks!

11 replies
Eliza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eliza Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:40pm
post #2 of 12

Hi,

Check out this thread. Cakequeen50 shows in it how she uses toothpicks for her bows.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-582750.html

torysgirl87 Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks. I've checked this out. I may try it. I will look for flat topped toothpicks. Also, any info on how this would those eating or cutting the cake? Would I simply need to inform them to remove each piece or give a warning that their are toothpicks in there?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 12

I now make all bow loops on a wire. Hook the end of the wire, moisten it and place between the ends and squeeze edges together. I also trim the end into a point to minimize bulk when putting the bow together. Dry the loops hanging over a dowel. Then stick them into the cake where they need to go. I think it looks nicer, having done it both ways.

Eliza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eliza Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 12

Haven't done it this way myself, but if it was me, I will inform them to remove each piece before cutting the cake.

torysgirl87 Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:29pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I now make all bow loops on a wire. Hook the end of the wire, moisten it and place between the ends and squeeze edges together. I also trim the end into a point to minimize bulk when putting the bow together. Dry the loops hanging over a dowel. Then stick them into the cake where they need to go. I think it looks nicer, having done it both ways.

What guage wire are you using? You think this looks better than using the toothpicks? Any reason? Thanks!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:30pm
post #7 of 12

When I make a bow, I trim the ends with kitchen shears after the loops have been drying for 24 hours. The shorter ends on the loops make a tighter bow and keep the candy melts from showing.

torysgirl87 Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:33pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

When I make a bow, I trim the ends with kitchen shears after the loops have been drying for 24 hours. The shorter ends on the loops make a tighter bow and keep the candy melts from showing.

Thanks. This sounds good as well and I can visualize why this works.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:41pm
post #9 of 12

Haven't used the toothpicks. The wire does have a firm grip on the loop, though. I pay no attention to the guage of the wire - whatever is in the bin.

torysgirl87 Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:46pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Haven't used the toothpicks. The wire does have a firm grip on the loop, though. I pay no attention to the guage of the wire - whatever is in the bin.

Thanks for your reply! icon_smile.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:55pm
post #11 of 12

Form your bow on a 3" cake board. Then when cutting have the wedding coordinator just lift off the bow and board. icon_wink.gif

gacandle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gacandle Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:15pm
post #12 of 12

icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%