Any Hypoglycemics Out There? Need Advice. (Kind Of Long)

Lounge By sweetness_221 Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 6:58pm by AJsGirl

sweetness_221 Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:18am
post #1 of 10

I have been a hypoglycemic for about a year now. I know what I should and shouldn't eat and can control it fine with a low carb/ high protein diet. Since last December (Christmas baking) I have basically blown off my diet. I ate sugar, potatoes, white bread, you get the idea. All of the no-no's of a hypoglycemic. Yes I paid for it, but the symptoms were bearable at the time. Shortly after I started eating that way the only hypoglycemic symptoms I was getting was hand shaking and headaches.

Here's my problem. Recently I have been having leg weakness. It has now gone to my arms and I also have twitching all over. I've gone to doctors and had blood tests, vitamin deficiency tests, MRI's etc... The only thing I haven't had done yet is an EMG from my neurologist. I see him again in June. They all came back normal. I even go to a Chiropractor to get adjusted and it does help for a while, but goes right back to it maybe a day later.

I have done research on the internet and it says that hypoglycemics can have muscle weakness and twitching from uncontrolled sugars. Kind of like diabetic neuropathy. Basically what I want to know is have any of you that are hypoglycemic had muscle weakness and twitching? I'm freaking me and my DH out thinking I have ALS. A close friend of mine just died recently from ALS and she had similar symptoms. I know that I need to talk to my neurologist about this, but I've only gotten to see him once and he basically just blew me off and told me to come back in 6 weeks. (I'm looking for a new neurologist) I also had to ask my family doctor to test me for vitamin deficiencies and she bascially had no idea what I was talking about. She had the nerve to ask me, "Which ones do you want tested?" icon_confused.gif Umm...hello!! Aren't you the Dr??!! Aren't you suppose to know which ones I need tested??!! I guess I just want some answers. I've exhausted the internet for answers so I figured I'd ask if any of you have had similar problems. I also have gone back to my low carb/ high protein diet and my shaking has stopped, but I still have the muscle weakness and twitching. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

9 replies
MnSnow Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:36pm
post #2 of 10

I have been hypoglycemic for many years. I have to make sure I get carbs in along with protein. The muscle spasming could be low potassium or B12. Both can be gotten from fruits.

You do need to see a neurologist to rule out anything more serious.

I made the mistake of not getting enough carbs in and paid for it. My sugars were so low they would not register on any machines. Needless to say it was not a fun time.

Amia Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 10

I have hyoglycemic attacks from lack of eating, but nothing like what you've described. It is time you found new doctors all around. If they don't take you seriously, move on. A good doctor will listen to your concerns and suggest possible tests, diagnoses, and treatments. If it is out of their realm of expertise, they should refer you immediately. A neurologist may be hard to find, a good one, even harder, but ask around. As for your PCP, vitamin deficiencies are common, easy to test for, and to treat, so she should know which vitamin deficiencies cause which symptoms.

MichelleM77 Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 10

I also get low blood sugar because of poor eating habits, not "officially" diagnosed with hypoglycemia. I have had muscle weakness for a few years along with spasms, but never thought it could be from that! Don't self-diagnosis yourself with ALS because those symptoms are also similar to MS and a few other diseases. That's one bad thing with the internet, you can almost diagnosis yourself with anything if you put the right words in (believe me, I'm an MT and I diagnosis myself with every report I type! LOL!).

A good idea would be to track the time and date of your symptoms along with your activities and eating habits. Maybe you can figure out what might be the problem that way, or at least give your doc something to go on.

waywordz Posted 31 May 2008 , 9:39am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

I also get low blood sugar because of poor eating habits, not "officially" diagnosed with hypoglycemia. I have had muscle weakness for a few years along with spasms, but never thought it could be from that! Don't self-diagnosis yourself with ALS because those symptoms are also similar to MS and a few other diseases. That's one bad thing with the internet, you can almost diagnosis yourself with anything if you put the right words in (believe me, I'm an MT and I diagnosis myself with every report I type! LOL!).

A good idea would be to track the time and date of your symptoms along with your activities and eating habits. Maybe you can figure out what might be the problem that way, or at least give your doc something to go on.

MichelleM77 is steering you straight on this. My son had severe Hypoglycemia. The Dr. we were seeing said his next symptom was a coma. He would get cold, said his eyes hurt, he would get "the shakes" and if he didn't get something quick; he'd throw up. Then he would get sleepy. This was back in the 70's. My aunt had hypoglcemia, later it became diabetes. Dad and Mom both had diabetes. I have diabetes. (Yes, I do cakes. Just can't eat most of my products. I am working on some sf recipes) Sugar is something my family has issues with and we deal with it. Take care of yourself and diet so you can be around a long time for the people that love you. And along with getting a new Dr. (I had to HUNT for one.) Get a dietician, most insurance covers them under preventative care. They can sometimes make all the difference. (Mine said I knew more than she did and had to "bone-up" after I came to see her.) Not trying to preach, I just care. hypo, low. hyper, high. (fyi)

sweetness_221 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 10

Well I guess I have some good news. Before, I said that my Dr tested my vitamin levels and they all came back normal, or so I thought. They didn't bother to tell me that my vitamin d levels are extremely low until last Friday. (3 weeks after I had them done) My dr said that my result was 18 and that it should be around 40 or more. She told me that the vitamin d deficiency was causing my muscle weakness and twitching. Somehow I'm just not sure I can believe her. Anyways she prescribed a mega dose of vitamin d that I have to take twice a week. I still have to go to the neurologist for a follow-up. (still haven't found a new one yet) In the mean time to make sure my hypoglycemia stays under control I've bought a glucose monitor. Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. I'll let you know what I find out.

waywordz Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:00am
post #7 of 10

Sounds like a good plan.

AJsGirl Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 10

Hypoglycemia is a symptom, not a disease. Something is causing the hypoglycemia. In my case, it was insulin resistance, which is the precursor to Type 2 diabetes. It took me a while to find a good doctor that was willing to look behind the hypoglycemia to find the cause. Now I'm on Metformin, a diabetic diet, and I monitor my blood sugar. With any luck, I'll be able to avoid diabetes even though it runs in my family.

sweetness_221 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsGirl

Hypoglycemia is a symptom, not a disease. Something is causing the hypoglycemia. In my case, it was insulin resistance, which is the precursor to Type 2 diabetes. It took me a while to find a good doctor that was willing to look behind the hypoglycemia to find the cause. Now I'm on Metformin, a diabetic diet, and I monitor my blood sugar. With any luck, I'll be able to avoid diabetes even though it runs in my family.

I was diagnosed with being insulin resistant last year, but I know in my family there are many who are reactive hypoglycemics. I guess it runs in my family. This explains it a little more than I could about reactive hypoglycemia. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/reactive-hypoglycemia/AN00934

I am also on Metformin. Being on that and following a hypoglycemic diet helped me lose 45 lbs. I just recently saw my dr who diagnosed me (different dr from the one I talk about above) and she told me that I'm no longer insulin resistant due to my weight loss (blood work done to verify) and that more than likely I have reactive hypoglycemia now. She always said that I might just be predisposed to having it. She is keeping me on the Metformin just in case because diabetes also runs in my family.

AJsGirl Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:58pm
post #10 of 10

Sounds like you got some good answers. Congrats on the weight loss, I haven't been able to lose. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%