You Want Me To Do What?!

Decorating By Jenna217 Updated 25 May 2008 , 11:28pm by poshcakedesigns

Jenna217 Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:17am
post #1 of 15

This lady calls me and asks me to make a very small 6" cake for a Graduation open house. I'm like....you do realize this will only feed 12? She says (and I quote): Oh yes! I know. I already ordered a full sheet cake from someone cheaper and just need a small cake from you with all those neat little sugar (fondant) doo-dads that I've seen on your cakes to make the cheaper one look nice.

WHAT?! icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif Some people! UGH!!! So what if I do the cake and the cheal one tastes like crap and someone asks where she got it...not knowing which one she's referencing and says my name? I don't think so!

The nerve! icon_rolleyes.gif

14 replies
pastryjen Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:25am
post #2 of 15

One way to look at - it's kind of a compliment - you do great work!

veejaytx Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:30am
post #3 of 15

I agree! The nerve! Rolling Eyes

indydebi Posted 22 May 2008 , 11:56am
post #4 of 15

I got one of those calls. Ordering a wedding cake "just for the head table" one week before the wedding! She said they needed just a small cake for the head table because they ordered sam's cakes for everyone else.

I go into my "whoa whoa whoa ... it doesn't work that way and let me explain why ....' and then launch into my reputation-protection and liability-issues speech, and I also offer the idea ".....most cake decorators you encounter will most likely have the same policy, just for these same reasons!"

I wished her well and sent her on her way, suggesting if she just wanted a token cake, then ".... I'm sure sams could pull something out of their freezer and throw one together on such short notice."

My sister happened to be there during this call and she said afterward, "Wow, I never thought of all of that, but it sure makes a lot of sense on why you wouldnt' do it!"

diane Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 15

NOPE...NO WAY...NOT!!!

i would not take the time to do a 6" cake...especially if someone else is doing another cake. NOPE...NO WAY...NOT! thumbsdown.gif

some people have the nerve to even ask that. icon_cool.gif

Cakebelle Posted 22 May 2008 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 15

What the F*** icon_mad.gif .........I mean really?

SweetResults Posted 22 May 2008 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 15

Good God I hope you said NO!

Carolynlovescake Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:27am
post #8 of 15

Run!

Run far, run fast!

No, and no, and a thousand times no. thumbs_up.gif

SHADDI Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:22pm
post #9 of 15

No way don't do it.
i am right now in the middle of doing my cake policy and i am putting in it that i do not do cake when other cakes from other bakerys are included in the same event.

the main reason for it is that if someone gets sick from eating cake they would not know from what cake and you can get in trouble when it could of been the other person cake that got the people sick....

to stay safe don't do it...

Denise Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:43pm
post #10 of 15

some people have more nerve (and a loose tongue) than should be legally allowed!

I wouldn't do it either! uuugggghhh NO

Melvira Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:51pm
post #11 of 15

Yah, that's an attractive offer. Make $10 or less profit and probably ruin your reputation. I won't make and sell a cake that small without a larger order in the FIRST place. Sheesh. People are ballsy!!

I turned down a wedding in August (a close, close friend of my VERY best customer even!!) because she wanted a small cake, and her aunt is going to make sheet cakes. Well, if her aunt wants to do a cake tasting FOR ME, then I will consider it. Otherwise the answer is ALWAYS no. And when I meet with brides I tell them that up front. I'm sorry but I won't take the blame, OR THE CREDIT (if it's fabulously wonderful) for someone else's work!

terrig007 Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:22pm
post #12 of 15

Some people, just when you think you've heard everything. But everytime you think you've heard it all someone does something more outrageous.
I hope you laughed at her once you caught your breath.

diamond Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:36pm
post #13 of 15

well...see sometimes you get brides that are really dumb founded i just met a bride that i thought i was going to do her cake....i was working @ the same place she was.....we talked i was ready to put down in my cake book for her aug 16, 2008 wedding mind me i kept in touch....but i called her one night while she was at work...she wanted a 3 tier square cake blue and white roses real pretty.... she told me she wanted to call me back the next day never called me soooooooo...... i waited 1 week called her back voicemail.......ok called 2 weeks later i put her in my cake book so she had her phone turned off so i would not called her 2 jobs mind me never again never again these brides are crazy icon_mad.gif i waisted my time talking icon_mad.gif to her waisted my time brides need to get it together and she wanted the cake for real cheap cheap cheap!!!!!!!!!!!! stupid bride...... icon_mad.gif

BrandisBaked Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:26pm
post #14 of 15

Which is why I put the following under my FAQ on my website:

"Will you be serving other cake at this event? Some customers want to buy an intricately decorated cake as a showpiece and then also buy less expensive sheet cakes from another purveyor (or even a friend or relative) to increase the number of servings. Please understand that while we respect your thriftiness, our reputation and liability are on the line. We do not wish our cakes to be compared with cakes from another bakery or your Aunt Marge⦠and there may be no way for a guest to know which cake he sampled. Because of these reasons, we will not accept orders where any other cake will be served at the same time. We reserve the right to cancel an order (without reimbursement) if there is any other cake at the event site. Our reputation means that much to us."

poshcakedesigns Posted 25 May 2008 , 11:28pm
post #15 of 15

No WAY I would do that cake. You have a reputation to keep.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%