Can Buttercream Be Frozen ???

Decorating By tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Updated 22 May 2008 , 7:49pm by tony_sopranos_ebony_girl

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:59am
post #1 of 5

I just recently purchased an 8lb tub of CK brand Buttercream ...
On their website they do not suggest freezing the buttercream once opened ...
Any opinions on this ???

4 replies
Delynn Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 5

This is just my experience. I freeze my buttercream recipe all the time (I just add a little less liquid (water/milk) because any icecrystals moisture might make it too thin when thawed (I freeze it in freezer boxes (found in the canning isle; Meijer etc.) and thaw it in the fridge, re-mix it in a mixing bowl, wa la). I've even gone so far as to decorate a Duncan Hines white cake mix with buttercream icing on a cake stand and put the whole thing in a NON-frost free freezer UNWRAPPED & NO COVER. My mom wanted me to make it for my grandma's birthday the following week (me & mom live 200 miles apart). She set it out on the cupboard in the morning to unthaw for the late afternoon party. Mom swears the cake was great...moist, but not soggy, and all decorations in perfect shape. I told my cake instructor, she insisted that the cake had to be dried out. I insisted back that mom insisted it wasn't. Make a little 6" x 4" cake with leftover batter and try it for yourself (if you do, pm me and let me know your opinion; the party was mom, aunts & uncles only so I didn't get to try it myself.) The key is NON-frost free freezer (mom has a separate freezer not attached to the fridge)(the frost-free ones constantly & simultaneously freeze and thaw?).

diane Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 5

i've made tons of icing ahead and froze them without any problems, but my recipe was an all shortening recipe. icon_wink.gif

Delynn Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 5

Sorry, I failed to mention my recipe is shortening and butter. I've froze an all shortening icing before too. Either way, just make sure to re-mix before using.

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 22 May 2008 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 5

Ok thank you both !!!
I will try and see what happens .... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%