20 replies
diane Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 21

$60.00-$70.00icon_wink.gif

Rannadanna Posted 22 May 2008 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 21

$750 for buttercream
$850 for fondant

(My standard base rates are $7/ serving for bc and $8/ serving for fondant, and I'd tack on another $50 for the toper, the caterpillars, and the other stuff. I know this is on the high side, but I just started out and it's what I'm asking -- and I'm plenty busy...) HTH

elvis Posted 22 May 2008 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 21

Looks like I need to move to Malibu, Rannadanna- I like your prices. Bakeries around here charge around $2 a serving, plus the "extras", I would say total $225-$250 range.

SweetResults Posted 22 May 2008 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 21

Pretty cake! For a 6, 10 and 12 inch I get 96 servings - $345 for buttercream with fondant accents and $395 for fondant.

Diane were you joking or serious? I was not sure only because of the wink and boy is that inexpensive!!! Way too cheap for a cake for almost 100 people. I checked out your website and your cakes are great icon_smile.gif

ericaann79 Posted 22 May 2008 , 10:23pm
post #6 of 21

$3.50 per serving buttercream and $4.00 for fondant...so $350-$400 but depends on your locations...I am in San Francisco Bay so people pay more!

indydebi Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:02am
post #7 of 21

dkulak, what is your normal price-per-serving that you charge?

diane Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:55am
post #8 of 21

ooops...that was a misprint. icon_surprised.gif

wgoat5 Posted 23 May 2008 , 3:11am
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rannadanna

$750 for buttercream
$850 for fondant

(My standard base rates are $7/ serving for bc and $8/ serving for fondant, and I'd tack on another $50 for the toper, the caterpillars, and the other stuff. I know this is on the high side, but I just started out and it's what I'm asking -- and I'm plenty busy...) HTH

WOW.. icon_surprised.gif

Rannadanna Posted 23 May 2008 , 3:40am
post #10 of 21

I maintain a $600 minimum order and have done only party cakes (no weddings), although I have taken very small cakes if I already have other cakes going and I knew I would have extra cake anyway (I recently did a 6" square gift box cake for $200 -- what client offered me, as I don't usually take orders that small). I have charged over $2000 (fed 100) for kids' birthday cakes and have been told that I have undercharged ... (Gotta love that!) Mind boggling, I know. I keep reminding myself that it is Malibu... My rates are in keeping with what the very high end bakeries in my area charge, and even though I'm new to cake decorating (I think some people do in a month what I've done in my whole life), I have no qualms about charging these prices. There are people willing to pay them... I actually turn away as much or more business than I take, and being able to charge these prices allows me to take only the business I want... Very helpful, as I've got two young kids and I'm a one woman show...

nefgaby Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:19am
post #11 of 21
Quote:

I maintain a $600 minimum order and have done only party cakes (no weddings), although I have taken very small cakes if I already have other cakes going and I knew I would have extra cake anyway (I recently did a 6" square gift box cake for $200 -- what client offered me, as I don't usually take orders that small). I have charged over $2000 (fed 100) for kids' birthday cakes and have been told that I have undercharged ... (Gotta love that!) Mind boggling, I know. I keep reminding myself that it is Malibu... My rates are in keeping with what the very high end bakeries in my area charge, and even though I'm new to cake decorating (I think some people do in a month what I've done in my whole life), I have no qualms about charging these prices. There are people willing to pay them... I actually turn away as much or more business than I take, and being able to charge these prices allows me to take only the business I want... Very helpful, as I've got two young kids and I'm a one woman show...

Wow! So you have your own shop? Do you have a website? Hope you don't mind me asking! icon_wink.gif

My husband is originally from Ventura Co., we lived near Malibu for about 4 years... I miss the weather... icon_sad.gif

Anyway, back to the OP, I charge $4 per serving for fondant (that is all I do, I don't do BC) and I use Earlene's chart, so for me that is 75 servings so I gues I would charge around $300 (I do add a little $ extra if there is TOO much gumpaste/fondant detail). HTH.

kansaswolf Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:26am
post #12 of 21

Wow, we all wanna move to Malibu... For more than the cake selling price... icon_wink.gif

I would go somewhere between $250 and $300, but without knowing where you live, I don't know what kind of market you have!

Rannadanna Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:29am
post #13 of 21

Hi Gaby,

I don't mind your asking at all: I rent space from a restaurant that's only open for breakfast and lunch and do not maintain a storefront. My overhead is low; if I even do one cake, it covers all of my monthly expenses, including insurance and everything. I don't have a website; it's still under construction. I actually, I'm embarrassed to say, don't even have business cards. Business has been word of mouth only, and it's keeping me hopping. I haven't made any kind of effort to spread the word, advertise, market myself, or anything of the sort. I think doing kids' cakes and kids' parties in a tight-knit community helps a lot: once other kids see the cake and the parents see them, I usually get orders on the spot. I'm actually kind of at a cross roads right now, trying to figure out what to do with my business; I have more orders coming in than I can take...

You're right about the weather here, though, can't be beat!

kansaswolf Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:30am
post #14 of 21

Can you hire me? icon_wink.gif

Rannadanna Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:33am
post #15 of 21

Absolutely! Please, please come help me! I'm more swamped than I care to be. I would expand my business, but I don't know where I can find other local cake decorators. I should post an ad on CC for anyone who wants to make the move to sunny SoCal!

wgoat5 Posted 23 May 2008 , 10:24am
post #16 of 21

You need to upload some photos icon_smile.gif

luelue1971 Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:00pm
post #17 of 21

Rannadanna-$600 minimum WOW...I'm sure your work is amazing. do you have photos posted anywhere that we can look at and be super envious icon_lol.gif

I'm so cheap I would only charge about $125.

I've got to step it up.

wgoat5 Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:23pm
post #18 of 21

Hey LueLue my bday is the 21st of Nov icon_smile.gif

dkulak Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:51pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

$60.00-$70.00icon_wink.gif

wow that is cheap!! holy cow..... I should buy my cakes from you and resell them. Where are you located? cause that's really cheap

dkulak Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:55pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:

Thant's fantastic! I need to be in Malibu, but then again cost of living is mmost likely higher than here in Toronto, Canada

dkulak Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:59pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

dkulak, what is your normal price-per-serving that you charge?

Thanks folks.... I charged $225 for this cake, I was just trying to see what the pricing in the states was like to here in Canada.

Normally I would have charges $250 as I charge $2.50 per serving for fondant

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%