Shimmer On 2 Layers

Decorating By ericaann79 Updated 22 May 2008 , 8:22pm by ericaann79

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:26am
post #1 of 6

I have a wedding cake due this Sunday and the bride wants 2 layers of the 4 to have a shimmery look. I know I need luster dust...got that...but I don't have an airbrush. I have read here that some people use the Preval Sprayer which is a painters tool that is like an airbrush...has anyone used this? Or can I use a spray bottle with vodka and the luster dust? Maybe I should just brush this on...any suggestions???? TIA

5 replies
ericaann79 Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:51am
post #2 of 6

Help!!! Please!!!

jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 6

you could just brush it on.

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 6

I've mixed pearl dust (with vodka) and sprayed it on cupcakes with a non-aerosol mister (the kind made for spraying cooking oil). It worked... okay... but not brilliantly.

The first few times it sprayed fairly consistently, then, when I tried it on a cake- well, it was sort of spluttery. I prepared the mixture the same way each time. This was being sprayed on buttercream, though. If it had been fondant, I think I would just use a soft, fluffy brush. If using a crusting buttercream, I think a very light hand with a soft brush would work, as well.

Good luck!

Oh- I've also read good things about the Preval Sprayer, but I think that I've read conflicting things about it.... I don't remember the details, though.

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 6

I don't know what's up with my post- I've tried editing, but it still leaves out the rest of my sentence. When I preview it, the words are all there, but after I submit it (and it posts), they disappear! So, I'll try here:

...dust with vodka and sprayed it with a non-aerosol mister (the kind used for spraying cooking oil)... It worked okay, but not brilliantly....

Whew! I hope that makes sense. I wonder what's up with an entire section of my post disappearing? How bizarre!

ericaann79 Posted 22 May 2008 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you for the advice. I think this time I will buy a blush brush for my luster dust and try to paint it on dry. I did some research yesterday on the preval sprayer and it said that the aerosal compressed air wasn't food safe...I think I will try this first and that second...she didn't specify how shimmery she wanted it so we will see how it turns out! Thanks for the tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%