Please Help Me With Pricing......

Baking By busymom9431 Updated 30 May 2008 , 4:52pm by MichelleM77

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:25am
post #1 of 12

I don't usually sell cookies but made some for a friend's sister's baby shower. I made 55 ducks and 55 bottles (I will try to attach pics) and have no idea what to charge. I will be shipping them but don't want to rake them over the coals and charge too much. They are in an area where things are expensive (new jersey) but I don't want to shortchange myself or overcharge them. The cookies are 3.5in by 2 in. and 2.5in by 3 in............please tell me what you think. It took me 9 hours to bake and decorate all 110 cookies (plus a few extra for breakage).

Thank you for your help!

11 replies
busymom9431 Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:28am
post #2 of 12

I forgot to add the pics..... icon_redface.gif
I guess it is too big.....won't let me add. I will post them in my photos.

Ro40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ro40 Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 12

I usually charge by size, so.......for the 3.5 inch cookie I would charge $3.50. I charge 25 cents extra per cookie for the bag and ribbon.

Hope that helps.

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 12

I too usually charge by the size of the cookie but I also take into consideration the degree of level for the designand how many they are ordering.If it is a cookie that I am only using 2-3 colors and is fairly quick then I would probably charge $3.00 for a 3.5 inch cookie maybe $2.75 if it is super easy. I also give a discount on purchasing a dozen. If they buy 12 they get them for the price of 10.
If it is a design that takes more detail/colors and time then I will charge about $3.50 each for that size and I also charge a $5 fee for wrapping each cookie in a bag and bow.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 12

did you use fondant or royal or glaze to decorate them? I would consider that into my pricing, especially if you used cut fondant. I agree, usually $1 per inch. If you feel generous then do it for more like $.75 per inch and let her know you are throwing the bags and tie offs in for free... don't forget your shipping costs too... Friends who are good friends will appreciate a discount and will not expect something for nothing, so I am sure she will be happy with whatever break you give her. Good luck... post a pic when you can icon_smile.gif

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 12

I charge a $2 flat rate for my cookies, which includes 2 colors. I require an initial 2 dozen minimum to be met, after which I will sell individually.
If the customer has more than 2 colors, then I add $.50 per color to the flat rate. (So, if someone has 4 colors, then each cookie would cost $3) This keeps it fairly simple for me. Bags and ties are included.

I need to price my cost if a customer wants ribbon...I would probably add another $.50 per cookie. I rarely have customers ask for ribbon, after they find out their cost for the cookies icon_rolleyes.gif ...hey these things cost!
And I know I am cheaper than major retail bakeries.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 12

The most important thing here has been glazed over (pun intended icon_lol.gif ).. the fact that you baked and decorated cookies without first nailing down the price. What are you going to do if they say "OMG that's WAY too much for 'just cookies'!!". If they won't pay what you want.. you are left with 110 cookies and the cost to bake them.

I would charge $1/inch for decorated cookies.. 2 colors.. not bagged individually. That'd be $250 plus shipping for what you described (55 of each size) and if they wanted them bagged and tied.. an extra $0.25-0.50 per cookie

busymom9431 Posted 22 May 2008 , 7:21pm
post #8 of 12

I did tell her $1/inch and I am friends with the family so I thought my gift to the mom to be would be me paying the shipping. Only because I want to not because I have to................what do you think? I did post a picture of the final packaging in my photos.
Thanks for your input.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 May 2008 , 11:54pm
post #9 of 12

Whatever the price is (and I'm with those who say $1/inch), you are not "raking them over the coals". THe cost/price "is what it is". They are ordering 110 special and custom made cookies. There is a premium price for special and custom made.

If you go into this with the attitude of (wring hands, look worried) "gosh, I don't want them to be mad or me and I want them to really like me!" then you're never going to win the pricing dilemna battle. It's not personal ... it's business.

busymom9431 Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:50am
post #10 of 12

Well, I am happy that I told her $1/inch. I know it is business. I just wish I could work with strangers only. I have no problems with people I don't know.
Thanks for all of you help and encouragement to charge what I need to charge.

cakekrayzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakekrayzie Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:08am
post #11 of 12

i have a question on the bagging of the cookies, some of you offer them individually wrapped or unwrapped, if the customer options not to have them individually wrapped how do you package them?

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:52pm
post #12 of 12

Either a bakery box (no charge) or on a tray (I charge $8 extra for that because those trays and lids are so darn expensive!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%